Board index FlightGear Development New features

FG Flier - Yes, another GUI Launcher!

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: FG Flier - Yes, another GUI Launcher!

Postby Chrison » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:47 am

Bummer wrote:
Chrison wrote:Probably a major chunk, but I don't know because that's something I've never done before... check to see the memory usage of a program. If you can tell me the shell command(s) to do that I'll check it out and report back here.

I'm not sure what it's called on Fedora, but I just stare at the System Monitor available on Ubuntu as I click the tabs. Though, I was more wondering about the actual size of the ./fg_flier/data/airports file itself.

Sorry about the delay in not responding to this. Shortly after posting my last message on this thread, my laptop crashed. I had MAJOR problems trying to get Fedora back up and running, primarily compatibility issues between FG and the Catalyst ATI video drivers. After trying just about everything I could think of to get Fedora back, without any success, I did a what-the-heck install of Ubuntu 10.10 to see it that would be better. Lo and behold, the install went flawlessly and there are (so far!) NO problems with Catalyst and FG!

Anyway, now that I'm more-or-less back online (I still haven't installed fg_flier and have more data files to restore from backup), I do some mucking this weekend and let you know how how much memory usage and the airports file size I'm getting with the entire world scenery. Should be interesting, eh?!? :)

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby GringoStar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:40 am

Hi,

I hope I finally found what I was looking for... an easy to use gui for FG.

I'm new to linux, having a hard time trying to understand the command lines.

I'm using ubuntu 10.04 on a low end computer (with only 32Mb video memory), downloaded FG 1.9.1 from packages and it run really well (for that computer), around 30FPS if I turn off the 3D clouds, but I desperatly need a gui to set it up. I know u made it for the v.2.0 but you said in the readme it should work with earlier versions so I will test it. So now I need the dummy version of the HowTo install it. I know I would find in google how to extract it but I need to know where to put it. If I'm successful, I would make a little tutorial for the ubuntu newbies. Hopping it would be easier in the futur because for now it's extremely complicated for sim fan comming from windows to switch to ubuntu with FG.
GringoStar

Postby GringoStar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:45 am

Hey it's working!!!

All I needed was to extract it and find the command: ~$ python fg_flier.py (seem obvious but... not for me).

So now I don't need to add all those command lines manually anymore!!!

I made a folder for terrasync but unfortunately, I don't think it's work properly. When I start the game in an unloaded part of the scenery, the system monitor show some network activity but it's at really slow rate (less than 10k/s).

So I downloaded the scenery from the web site but when I try to extract it, I can't because I don't have permission to edit the scenery folder. Same thing for the planes. I tried to extract it in a new folder in my documents folder and add it to the path but when I it the fly button, I get this:

Fatal error: Failed to open file
at scenery
(received from SimGear XML Parser)

FlightGear Closed

Killing Terrasync ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I know this part of the forum is for developpers and you should not have to anwser that kind of basic questions but your GUI seem to be the easier to install. I passed many hours trying to figure out how to install FGrun or FGo without success. So if this finally make it to a final version for general users, do you think it could be possible to add a feature for it to create by itself a default folder for the terrasync. This way newbies should be able to it fly without changing anything to the default settings (maybe selecting a default plane and location too) and more advance users would be able to edit the path if they want to.

Anyway, thank you, it's great work!
GringoStar

Postby GringoStar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:04 am

I resolved the permissons problems and put the planes and scenery in the right folders but I still get the same error message so I will look at it tomorrow and post in the support forum if I need to.

Seeya
GringoStar

Postby GringoStar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Your GUI work like it should and I still think it's the easiest way to start FlightGear for a linux beginner. The error message reported above come from the multiplayer option. I still have many questions but it's not related to the launcher so I will let the development forum to developers.

Thanks again
GringoStar

Postby Bummer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:44 am

Hiya Gringo! Sorry, I completely missed your posts (it decided not to e-mail me for whatever reason), but glad to hear you got it working for the most part. Luckily, FGRun came with the Windows install, but when I moved completely to Ubuntu it was a mess just to get started, lol. At any rate, I felt it was a little 'heavy' in some areas ... so here we are! XoD

As for any terrasync issues ... honestly, I'm not entirely sure how it really works, or even if I'm running/accessing it correctly. I pretty much checked out the help context of the 'terrasync' command and guessed at it. It never gave me any errors, so I just went with it, lol. I did set up FG_Flier to use the default aircraft and location as just running 'fgfs' at the command line (c172p @ KSFO - 28R), but that's assuming the default install location of FlightGear 2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 (/usr/share/games/FlightGear/*), so if that's any different, or if it had some problems when you first started FG Flier and it tried to load the Aircraft and/or Scenery, those defaults might have gotten overwritten with something else or wiped out completely.

If you want to see if it's a v1.9.1 vs 2.0 issue, or if you just want to try out 2.0 (I'm not sure how well it works or an older machine ... but it made a world of difference for me, at least on the Seneca II, which is what I fly most often), easiest way is to just add the repositories for PlayDeb.net:

http://www.playdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu/10.04#how_to_install
Bummer

Postby FlakFodder » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 pm

FGo! stopped working for me a couple of days ago, so I'm using FG Flier now, and am quite happy. Works well, good assortment of options. One glitch: Expanding the PBY-Catalina's submenu in the aircraft selection list causes the entire list to expand so that the aircraft are all separated by many lines of blank space. I don't know whether this happens with any other aircraft or not; I've just run into it with the PBY so far.

Feature request: I second an earlier poster's request for named airports, like FGo! has, so I can check out locations when I don't have access to online reference sources to find the IDs.

Great work. I've never been able to get FGRun to compile, and having this is a big help.
FlakFodder

Postby Bummer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I haven't tried the Catalina, but I'll download it and look into it. It might take a couple days ... I reformatted a few days ago and set up a dual-boot machine again (damn my addiction to racing games XoD ), but I'll try to re-install FlightGear tonight and see if I can figure it out.
Bummer

Postby Bummer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Ok, ok ... took a little longer than expected. Damn the holidays, lol.

I think I've got it displaying right in the aircraft list now. The PBY-Catalina doesn't have a description field in it's .xml's like the other craft I've used (and assumed all had), so for whatever reason it was picking up I think 5 line breaks for the description and screwing everything up. FG_Flier_v0.3.1 up.

I haven't even started, or given much thought to, the named airports. It is a kewl thing to have, I admit, but it may or may not happen.
Bummer

Postby Bummer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:53 am

Ok, it's been a while, but I haven't completely forgotten the project yet! =oD

FG_Flier v0.4 has been uploaded! http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgflier/files/fg_flier_v0.4.tar.gz/download

Noteable Changes:
  • General Tab has been split into 'Aircaft' and 'Airports'
  • Loads and displays airport names (ex: 'San Francisco Intl' instead of just 'KSFO')
  • Searchable airport names
  • Data Root Path must now be specified. This is the directory that the 'Aircraft', 'Airports', 'Input', and 'Scenery' directories reside in, to name a few (ex: Windows - "C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data"; Ubuntu - "/usr/share/games/FlightGear")

Notes:
  • The airport list format has been changed, so if you copy this over an existing version, you will have to Refresh the airport data
  • If you copy over an existing version and the program will not start, delete your existing airport list (./fg_flier/data/airports) to start fresh
  • Airport Names and Codes exist in their own lists, and are both lists are alphabetized. Clicking an item in one list will automatically select the corresponding item in the other list, however the lists do not line up with eachother.
  • This version seems to work properly on my machine, however it has not been tested thoroughly. If you have any issues, don't hesitate to let me know!
Bummer

Postby Bummer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Update:

FG Flier v0.4.1 added to sourceforge. While trying to figure out how to call separate Aircraft directories properly, I finally found out how to use Terrasync correctly. XoD

Note: I always just extract new Aircraft to /usr/share/games/FlightGear/Aircraft, so I've never had more than one Aircraft directory. However today I decided to extract a couple planes to a /home/me/FlightGear/Aircraft directory, and I'm having problems getting FlightGear to use both the default Aircraft directory and my newly created one. I'm probably missing something simple, or just searching for the wrong terms, so any help appreciated =o)
Bummer

Previous

Return to New features