Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

rfp - Biological flying creatures addon - flying squid

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Re: rfp - Biological flying creatures addon - flying squid

Postby S&J » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:11 am

You have not corrected me, you have simply gone off on a tantrum like a small child.

This is what I originally wrote that so upset you

yeh but I don't think either of those flight models generate 'propulsion' through the rapid movement of the wing airfoils, they're as realistic as the ufo is

If the flight model does create propulsion through the rapid movement of the airfoils then by all means correct me, otherwise you can quieten down.
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby erik » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:19 am

S&J wrote in Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:11 am:If the flight model does create propulsion through the rapid movement of the airfoils then by all means correct me,

It does.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:18 am

If the flight model does create propulsion through the rapid movement of the airfoils then by all means correct me, otherwise you can quieten down.

As Erik says - it does. You've been consistently wrong on all claims so far :D

You have not corrected me, you have simply gone off on a tantrum like a small child.

I take it you don't have children? I actually do, and I know what a tantrum looks like - this thread is rather different (in case you missed it, that too was a correction :D ). In actual fact, I have corrected you multiple times.

So, to spell it out once again (since you seem to have trouble recognizing the meaning of what I write) - commenting negatively on the realism of an FDM of which you have no idea whatsoever makes you look a bit foolish, refusing to remedy that error but instead blaming others for you failure and trying to widen the field to mysterious 'problems of FG' makes you look even more foolish.

Do you really want to explore how far into foolishness that road leads?
Thorsten

Postby S&J » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:58 am

erik wrote in Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:19 am:It does.

Erik

Thank you Erik.

And I apologize for not understanding that the wings flapping through the air generates propulsion, my mistake.

I will have a closer look at this flight model as it interests me in producing a Dune style ornithopter.
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby benih » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Will the ornitoper have feathers?
I would love to see the effects :)
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:20 pm

DUNE Thopters do not have feathers... they are multi-wing craft that look similar to real life dragon flies ;)

at rest on the ground:

in normal flight taking off:

in a dive with wings tucked:

there are several different models of Thopters, too... the pictures above are of one type... this wiki page lists the other types and provides images of some of them... https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Ornithopter...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby S&J » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:48 pm

I'm only interested in pretty sophisticated flight modelling, the 3d and 2d I leave to others.
S&J

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:56 pm

And I apologize for not understanding that the wings flapping through the air generates propulsion, my mistake.

Apology accepted. :D

I believe we do have a flying ornithopter in the (rarely used) UIUC FDM by the way.
Thorsten

Postby S&J » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:29 pm

Do us all a favour and put me on ignore will you.

It's what I've done to you.
S&J

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:12 pm

Look, there's really no point to that any more - you've made a mistake, you've acknowledged it, so just move on and do something constructive. That's all there should be to it.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Add-ons