Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

Wildfire Addon

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Wildfire Addon

Postby wlbragg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi everyone, I'm announcing that the wildfire nasal code in fgdata has been converted to an addon.
2020.4 and on will require the addon to get wildfire as the code has been removed from the base. If you want to use it on any other FlightGear version, just rename fgdata/Nasal/wilfire.nas to wildfire.org and use the new addon interface.
There are a couple upgrades and hopefully more to come. Fire propagation is now wind driven including speed of growth and direction. Also elevation change should have some effect but needs more work. I also added a random radius and time fire ignition section to the GUI. You can set a random timer to ignite a fire at a random radius and time. There is an option have it report the lat, lon, bearing and range upon ignition.
It's great fun to sit on the tarmac waiting for a spot fire to ignite and race to get the AirCrane or Catalina loaded with water and put the fire out before it expands to the point of no return.
For an extra challenge use the Cargo Towing addon and add a water tank to fill from, this requires the AirCrane. CL35 is a perfect place for a base of operations. Located in the back country of So California in the chaparral covered mountain. Lake Henshaw is close by and large enough to use as a water source for both the Catalina and the AirCrane fast loading capabilities. The AirCrane can load water from virtually any water source using the snorkel, including tanks, ponds and even streams. Have fun!

Special thanks to Anders for the original code for wildfire.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Wildfire Addon

Postby Johan G » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Ctrl+Shift+LMB is way to fun. Also, these fires spread! :shock: :oops: :twisted:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:40 pm

Yeah, wildfire could use some work. I'm not sure if I didn't originally understand the concept of the fire propagation or if it was by design. It quickly brings the sim to its knees when it starts to spread. But it takes some time for it to start that spread. I think it originally was designed for a simulation of an airport incident where a aircraft caught on fire and you had so much time to go put it out with a fire tender.
Although the Catalina was designed for extinguishing fire also, don't know what came first?

The areas I want to improve first are the LOD so it can grow to extreme sizes without crashing the sim. I also want to improve the effects. Shaders instead of particles and the burned areas and ammonium phosphate residual graphics. Fun fact, did know borate was only used for a couple years.
wlbragg

Postby merspieler » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Next step: bush fires based on RL fires...
My scenery can look like that... but the fire's missing:
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby GinGin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:33 am

Very nice.
Do you have some pictures of it ( with the AirCrane eventually) ?
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby AndersG » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:10 am

Great! :)

But I have a question:
Have you tested if the wind dependence works with MP shared fires? I'd guess that the synchronization is lost earlier than before?
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:29 am

No, I haven't tested wind and MP yet. I need to though. I'm still finishing up the random ignition and reporting code. I'm changing the ignition reporting portion and trying to figure out how to catch a non-flammable ignition point.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:25 am

I pushed an update today.
Refactored the random ignition logic and added a check and notification in the event the random ignition point is on a non-flammable tile.
wlbragg

Postby AndersG » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:27 am

Hi,

Here is a screenshot from November 2008. :)

The fire truck is available at http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/misc/WildFire/ . Last updated 2010.. :)
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Johan G » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:47 pm

Was it not available in fgdata or FGAddon years ago?

Slightly later: Might have been confusing it for the crash hauler that was not (but still is available at MediaFire). I assume the foam cannon on that one just is for looks though. It is GPLv2, so it could be possible to make it able to actually handle fires (the FDM is hilarious, try it out!).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 pm

AndersG, was your crash tender ever added to fgaddon?

JohanG, yes the mediafire crash hauler vehicles have the foam drop but were set up to only drop one time.
I am changing that behavior and making it repeatable as it should be. I will ask on the mailing list if anyone cares if I add them to fgaddon.

Anders, I can add your crash haulers as well if you want? It would be nice to have a fleet of these available. Anders, are your crash haulers MP?
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 pm

I pushed some new textures for the soot, foam and retardant. I'm not completely done testing them but had to quit for awhile. I'm not satisfied with the way the transparency is working on overlaps so I still plan to make this all shader based. I just figured this is slightly better than what is there now. That's debatable.

I've got one backwards compatible issue I need to decide how to handle. I have a few options.

The wildfire.resolve_foam_drop(pos, 10, 0); that wildfire equipped aircraft use needs to call FIRE.resolve_foam_drop(pos, 10, 0); instead, I think, Or needs not be used at all as I handle it in the addon code now.

Code: Select all
# Listen for impact of released payloads
setlistener("/sim/ai/aircraft/impact/retardant", func (n) {
   #print("Retardant impact!");
   var node = props.globals.getNode(n.getValue());
   var pos  = geo.Coord.new().set_latlon
             (node.getNode("impact/latitude-deg").getValue(),
              node.getNode("impact/longitude-deg").getValue(),
              node.getNode("impact/elevation-m").getValue());
   # The arguments are: position, radius and volume (currently unused).
   #resolve_foam_drop(pos, 10, 0);
   resolve_retardant_drop(pos, 10, 0);
});
setlistener("/sim/ai/aircraft/impact/foam", func (n) {
   #print("Foam impact!");
   var node = props.globals.getNode(n.getValue());
   var pos  = geo.Coord.new().set_latlon
             (node.getNode("impact/latitude-deg").getValue(),
              node.getNode("impact/longitude-deg").getValue(),
              node.getNode("impact/elevation-m").getValue());
   # The arguments are: position, radius and volume (currently unused).
   resolve_foam_drop(pos, 10, 0);
});

Or I need to see if I can change the addon namespace from FIRE to wildfire.

Because I handle it in the addon now that code is not even needed in the aircraft, except those that are using it are calling a nasal space that is no longer there, unless I can rename the addon name space.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 pm

I fixed the backwards compatibility issue. Turns out the addon infrastructure allows the namespace to be anything, so naming it wildfire then allows the nasal space to also be "wildfire." which fixes all backwards compatibility. Any future aircraft don't need to set the listeners for impact of released payloads, but if they do it won't hurt anything.

I tested the MP and it still works as it always has. Based on the way the fire propagation works over MP, I don't think that the synchronization is lost earlier than before unless the two instances are using different weather, then yes, for sure they will be totally out of sync? No way around it unless you control the weather in the addon when used.

It also dawned on me that if you were to leave the "Share over MP" option checked and others users were playing around with wildfire over MP, you could potentially really screw someone over by starting a fire and them not knowing it. It would start one on their end and could potentially be on the other side of the world?

I think it would be a good idea to limit the range over which MP worked. I also need to test the Incident report is also working over MP.

I added reporting non-flammable ignition point reporting to the Incident report so if your using it you don't need the alert timer monitor running, you can see a non-ignition in the report and try again.

A little bug on the report dialog, one, it doesn't scroll. I need to figure out how to use the scroll widget. Two, if you close it when it gets full, it starts giving duplicate report line items. I need to tweak that logic.
wlbragg

Postby AndersG » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:14 am

wlbragg wrote in Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 pm:Anders, I can add your crash haulers as well if you want? It would be nice to have a fleet of these available. Anders, are your crash haulers MP?

The crash hauler is a AI model initially. I do think I modified it a little so it is not the same 3d-model file. You can add it! Back in time it wasn't clear that things that don't fly was welcome in the data repository.
AndersG

Postby wlbragg » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:53 am

Does anyone know how to "easily" get a canvas dialog that is sizable with the mouse? I can't find anything in the API that makes sense to me to make a sizable dialog canvas. I did see an example of making a dialog "scrollable". Although it wasn't all that clear as to how to use it. At least on my first attempt.
wlbragg

Next

Return to Add-ons