Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

MP cargo in FlightGear ?

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

MP cargo in FlightGear ?

Postby TheEagle » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:19 pm

If I place some model in a plane in FG, will it go out of the plane (stay in it's place) when the plane starts moving ? Is there any way (except for tracking the plane's movements with Nasal and moving the model accordingly) to make a model (for example a plastic box) stick to the rear wall of a plane's body when it moves forward, stick to the left if the plane flies a right curve, and so on ? Or would I have to simulate this behaviour with Nasal ?
I am asking this because I am planning to make a cargo plugin that places a cargo object in the scenery that can then be loaded by any player, unloaded at a different place and loaded there by a different player. As this is not currently supported by the MPserver (or is it ?), I am planning to set up a server that receives the request from the plugin to create a new cargo piece, and then track the objects position to send it to the MPServer. (to the MPSverer it would look like a normal airplane, the plugin will take care that it is actually e.g. a plastic box on the viewers side)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Re: MP cargo in FlightGear ?

Postby merspieler » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:29 pm

There's the cargo towing addon which has some external cargo... that can be loaded...

But that's not shared over mp...

The only way, to get mp working is either 1) updating the mp protocol... (very unlikely) or 2) a dummy "fg" instance where the aircraft is the cargo. tho that could mess up stuff like the pilot list (cargo showing up in there, not being opt in... unless you only use it on a dedicated mp server, you run your self)
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:35 pm

merspieler wrote in Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:29 pm:The only way, to get mp working is either 1) updating the mp protocol... (very unlikely) or 2) a dummy "fg" instance where the aircraft is the cargo. tho that could mess up stuff like the pilot list (cargo showing up in there, not being opt in... unless you only use it on a dedicated mp server, you run your self)

It might be possible to do that over Emesary instead. Currently the Operation Red Flag (OPRF) aircraft use emissary for weapons, missile trails, radar warning receivers, and probably also some other stuff.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby TheEagle » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:15 pm

merspieler wrote in Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:29 pm:2) a dummy "fg" instance where the aircraft is the cargo. tho that could mess up stuff like the pilot list (cargo showing up in there, not being opt in... unless you only use it on a dedicated mp server, you run your self)

This was the thing I was thinking of … But that Emesary thing looks better - is there a better Tutorial on this ?
But the main thing I wanted to know - can a model be made to stay inside an airplane without moving it with Nasal ?
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby wlbragg » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:42 pm

I might be able to adapt the Cargo Towing Addon to do just what your asking for. I'll take a look at the feasibility. It sounds like a really cool enhancement.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby TheEagle » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:50 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:42 pm:I might be able to adapt the Cargo Towing Addon to do just what your asking for. I'll take a look at the feasibility. It sounds like a really cool enhancement.

Do what ? Keep the object within the plane, or make the cargo shared over MP, or both ?
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby wlbragg » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:42 am

Both!
Right now there is hard docking with the AirCrane where cargo is simulated as being attached to the fuselage and it can be set as persistent. Not a far reach at all to put it inside a cargo hold. The only difference between the cable and rope towing payloads and a payload in the cargo bay is a few lines of code and the removal of a bunch of animation code for the rope and cargo animation at the end of the rope. That also can be set to persistent.
The addon already can also find and tow AI objects which can be introduced to the scene as a cargo VS a vehicle.

I suppose the MP protocol might be able to be used to pass cargo position data between to aircraft. Something I never considered but a really good idea. MP is a little different and I would have to take a look as to how that could work, but I am sure if it can be done at all that it could be a part of the Cargo Towing Addon and ideally it should be. From the beginning I planned to add the ability to capture and move a cargo inside the aircraft. I more or less forgot about it in the short term.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby StuartC » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Using the Equipment - payloads menu is probably the easiest way of adding cargo models to and aircraft. the Cargo is loaded via an option in the menu which is tied to and xml file which defines the position of the item within the aircraft. All the FGUK helicopters which have configuration options use that method.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Return to Add-ons