Board index FlightGear Media Screenshot of the month

Submit your screenshot for the SOTM of March 2020  Topic is solved

Monthly contest to select the best FlightGear screenshot.

Re: Submit your screenshot for the SOTM of March 2020

Postby Anarcho-pilot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 pm

vnts wrote in Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:39 am:The land that time forgot

Many 'corridors' with vertical cliffs being cut out by rivers, almost like it was built by ancient giants.

Heli is the new Bell 430 (thread)

Kind regards

vnts, merspieler is right. I saw you use the same caption on your screenshot with pterosaur in September. But that time I was just a participant of this contest, but not its curator. I understand, that this caption doesn't make your image any more beautiful or attractive. It's just giving information about aircraft and location on the screenshot. But formally it's a violation of the ninth paragraph of the rules. You may type all information needed before or after your screenshot. I'm not an author of these rules. I've only adopted them from the previous curator. But we should all respect them to make such things, like this contest, happening. I'll allow your screenshot to participate in the contest this month. But, please, don't use any captions in the future. Otherwise, your screenshots will be rejected.
Last edited by Anarcho-pilot on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarcho-pilot

Postby montagdude » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 pm

C-130 shortly after takeoff from KDCA (Washington, DC).

montagdude

Postby sidi762 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am

This entry is by ValKmjolnir

Belgrade Dawn

MD-11 departing from Belgrade after sending medical aid to Serbia.
sidi762

Callsign: DAG0762
Version: 2020.3.18

Postby vnts » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am

Anarcho-pilot wrote in Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 pm:vnts, merspieler is right. I understand, that this caption doesn't make your image any more beautiful or attractive. It's just giving information about aircraft and location on the screenshot. But formally it's a violation of the ninth paragraph of the rules. You may type all information needed before or after your screenshot. I'm not an authour of these rules. I've only adopted them from the previous curator. But we should all respect them to make such things, like this contest, happening. I'll allow your screenshot to participate in the contest this month. But, please, don't use any captions in the future. Otherwise, your screenshots will be rejected.

The reason behind the Flightgear credit and caption is from this discussion about archiving sotm entries (Bugman and I have archived 2018-2020 ) : link .

The idea is to discourage lazy scammers. The scam with 'VP - 3D' has taken FG screens. If they could be bothered putting effort into learning fg to take their screens, or even try to edit the credit, then they wouldn't be in the scam business :lol: .

(If the screens they end up using aren't CC and are stolen, it would be a point to mention, along with other violations of consumer law / trade , to have them removed from google ads or marketplaces and making the scam practically ineffective.)

I have a feeling the borderline business [1] selling FG releases that haven't happened yet on ebay for somewhat reasonable low prices, also may have taken flightgear.org screens and added their logo (but they aren't a big concern).

It's like StuartC's use of the FGUK logo, or all screenshots in the FG homepage having the download url 2

I understand, that this caption doesn't make your image any more beautiful or attractive. It's just giving information about aircraft and location on the screenshot. But formally it's a violation of the ninth paragraph of the rules. You may type all information needed before or after your screenshot. I'm not an authour of these rules. I've only adopted them from the previous curator.

It does mutilate the screenshots a little :| I recall legoboyvdlp added to those rules last, or wrote them entirely. One of the ideas behind the sotm and making screens CC 4.0 is to let them be used to showcase Flightgear in news articles and other media. The download url is very helpful. The year also helps, because there is a lot of old screenshots floating around including on the out of date homepage, and there is a misconception about how FG looks . Having a caption can help if it's the screen ends up being used by news sites, so people know about the craft/location, and can find craft not in launcher yet, but it's less necessary.

Also: mentioning the location / craft in after the title makes it easy to add it to the filename when uploading to wiki so it comes up in file searches when looking for screens to add to wiki articles about craft etc. Example: "Greeting the dawn - C172P, Keflavik". Maybe this could be suggested in the guidelines.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby FirstOfficerDelta » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 am

Fly me to the moon...

Aircraft: A330-343RR (I cannot remember if it was IDG or theomegahanger)
Last edited by FirstOfficerDelta on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FirstOfficerDelta

Callsign: CPA830

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:54 pm

I don't see any issue with adding titles as long as the screenshot is not enhanced (e.g modification of contrast / sharpness / blur filters etc) which I believe was the original spirit of the rules. But naturally it will be up to Anarcho's interpretation of the rules ;)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm

FirstOfficerDelta wrote in Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 am: Fly me to the moon...

your image is not showing up... did you make it available to the public?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby FirstOfficerDelta » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:28 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm:
FirstOfficerDelta wrote in Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 am: Fly me to the moon...

your image is not showing up... did you make it available to the public?

I think I fixed it now, though give it a minute or two for the image to load. Thank you for reporting it to me!
FirstOfficerDelta

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:56 pm

yes, i see a big swiss aircraft from the belly side ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Anarcho-pilot » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:18 am

vnts wrote in Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am:The reason behind the Flightgear credit and caption...

Thank you for explaining the reason you use these captions. As I said before, I don't mind modifying screenshots in such way. But when merspieler addressed this I, as the curator of the contest, had to react. And now I see, that there is a really good reason for using them. From the next month I'll update the rules to make such captions totally "legal". This will prevent any misunderstandings from other participants.

By the way, your suggestion to mention the location / craft after the title sounds really interesting. But, unfortunately, if I add this requirement, it will be very difficult to control that everyone obey it. Every month there are some users who disregard requirement to submit images in .jpg format or even don't know how to submit their screenshots to make them be displayed properly on the forum. Espesially this regards new users, who haven't spent enough time on the forum to be familiar with it. So, I think, many participants will just ignore this new requirement.
Anarcho-pilot

Postby Anarcho-pilot » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:42 am

Scandinavian warrior

Saab AJ-37 Viggen approaching Helsinki on its way from lake Ladoga to Stockholm.
Anarcho-pilot

Postby vnts » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 am

No worries :)

Anarcho-pilot wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:18 am:By the way, your suggestion to mention the location / craft after the title sounds really interesting. But, unfortunately, if I add this requirement, it will be very difficult to control that everyone obey it. Every month there are some users who disregard requirement to submit images in .jpg format or even don't know how to submit their screenshots to make them be displayed properly on the forum. Espesially this regards new users, who haven't spent enough time on the forum to be familiar with it. So, I think, many participants will just ignore this new requirement.

It shouldn't be a requirement just a suggestion that it's useful : ). The title gets used as the filename during wiki uploads. It's simple to cut/paste. To add images in future to wiki galleries and articles people have to rely on the file search. I uploaded the last 7 months recently as the 2020.1 release is upcoming, and it reminded me that currently almost none of the SOTM entries have the craft or location (link). The location doesn't need to be specific if people don't remember - even the country is useful (large areas sometimes have same quality of scenery/regional definitions, and the wiki has a category system that someone could add screenshots to later).

The wiki article on screenshots (link) could probably be added to the copy paste. It has a bunch of useful hints to turning on settings and using FG's simulation now, as well as taking screenshots.

Thanks for helping run the sotm :)

Kind regards
vnts

Postby StuartC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Waiting..........

StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Oswald » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm

Plenty of marvellous images this month. Anyway, I'd like to add my entrance, too:

Cirrus clouds over Papua Newguinea

FL155 cruise with the Turbo Porter near Mount Hagen

Oswald
Oswald

Postby FirstOfficerDelta » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:42 am

Oswald wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm:Plenty of marvellous images this month. Anyway, I'd like to add my entrance, too:

Cirrus clouds over Papua Newguinea

FL155 cruise with the Turbo Porter near Mount Hagen

Oswald

Oswald, I cannot see your image. All I see the the word “Image” where your image is supposed to be.
Last edited by FirstOfficerDelta on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
FirstOfficerDelta

PreviousNext

Return to Screenshot of the month