Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Display adjustments (PFD, DPS, HUD,...)

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - PFD adjustments

Postby GinGin » Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 am

eatdirt wrote in Wed May 13, 2020 8:45 pm:Thanks for HST, I am gonna try this!

For the purpose of the sim, could we keep the HST orbital elements matching the real ones?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

I put value for 30° inc also, Datas are in green at top of the xml :)
For 28.5°, Targeted LAN will be slightly less, and you will just need to adjust the Hubble LAN

I will provide one if you want, but it is just on the Inc limit for a launch from Florida, so really touch for a good RINC at MECO.

I started the work with SSU font ( really nice work from SSU team on those fonts )
Font A is fixed for greek letters
Font B works nicely ( used for numerical values and some letters on OMS and APU displays)

First Glimpse

GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby eatdirt » Thu May 14, 2020 5:25 pm

For the purpose of configuring whatever you like as orbital target, there's a config file in which you enter whatever you like :)

Thank you Thorsten :wink:

What I meant is that, when Gingin's improvements will be merged, I think we should keep the default hst.xml file with the real Hubble parameters, even if the insertion cannot be perfect due to the inclination. I do agree though to not use real LAN because not so much users would like to wait days before getting a launch windows. Although that could be debatable :)
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm

eatdirt wrote in Thu May 14, 2020 5:25 pm:
What I meant is that, when Gingin's improvements will be merged, I think we should keep the default hst.xml file with the real Hubble parameters, even if the insertion cannot be perfect due to the inclination

I will do that then.

Ok, finish for today
Almost all the PFD is finish font and color wise
I replaced the monobold font in the pfd.nas by SSU font A or B that I put in FG root/ font folder.
It works flawlessly

Next thing, Specific font B in pfd.SVG and OMS / APU pages
I think it should work with a proper CSS file linking pfd.SVG to SSU font folder

I kept the font selection unchanged.
So font 1 for SSU A or 0 for standard Monobold ( which will drive almost all the displays except most part of PFD

GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 pm

What I meant is that, when Gingin's improvements will be merged, I think we should keep the default hst.xml file with the real Hubble parameters, even if the insertion cannot be perfect due to the inclination.

Okay, everyone take a deep breath.

There's the standard thing with merge requests which inevitably seems to happen with people who start making them. What they should be (if you ever get to review one, you'll quickly understand why) is a series of small, incremental changes of one thing that can easily be viewed and okayed within a few minutes.

What they should not be is one big mix of 'everything I thought needs improving' - because it takes forever to go through all of the gory details and make sure that there's no hidden easter egg contained within an otherwise perfectly reasonable merge request that will bite real hard eventually.

You're inside a thread dealing with PFD adjustments - and you're asking for the orbital elements of HST to be changed. So what on earth has that got to do with anything in this thread?

Right now I'm seeing a merge request of 19 (!) separate commits all lumped together into one thing I have to either accept or veto as a whole (by the way, please give me a short PM when making a request - for some weird reason, SF doesn't notify me any more :( ) - that's not how this is done efficiently.

Please, please - let us break this down into small, logical units, merge it one by one, discuss one issue at a time. And please do not throw 'everything I've ever wanted to have' into the fray.

I know everyone is enthusiastic and eager - and I'm happy that is so, and I am 90% convinced it's all good and okay, but... honest mistakes happen. I've been there and disabled FGData myself with a bad commit for a few days.

So please let's just do this by the book and break it down into a series of small, easy to understand changes. :D It's really how this is generally done in OpenSource, nothing personal.
Thorsten

Postby amalahama » Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 pm

Looks fabulous GinGin!
amalahama

Postby eatdirt » Thu May 14, 2020 6:39 pm

Please, please - let us break this down into small, logical units, merge it one by one, discuss one issue at a time. And please do not throw 'everything I've ever wanted to have' into the fray.

Yes, you completely right. I got carried away because within the Gingin's modifications there are a lot of change in the traj ascents etc... which indeed requires a lot of side things to be changed, like essentially all *.xml files in Missions/

Anyway, guys, I am happy to test any specific thing you want to change / merge!
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 15, 2020 6:07 am

If you guys say this runs fine, then I take it that it runs fine - you're flying more hours than I do. My concern is with the code - I want to avoid a scenario in which we're wasting framerate needlessly or become locked in something that's hard to maintain later, so my set task is to actually read through the changes line by line.

I'm hoping we'll have GinGin's ascent changes merged within the next few days (unfortunately I discovered them only yesterday - no SF notifications for me - and once that is in we can tackle PFD).

So everything is going fine, just give an old man some time to breathe, reading through code isn't like reading a novel.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Fri May 15, 2020 10:51 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri May 15, 2020 6:07 am:
So everything is going fine, just give an old man some time to breathe, reading through code isn't like reading a novel.

Yes, sure. Thanks for taking the time to go through that.
I'll do it better next time, bricks by bricks.

I fond an easy way to left untouch Font system already implemented and to use font B for just the few SVG elements that require it (APU Meds etc)

Only thing will be to install SSU font A and B in FG root/ fonts
If not, a generic basic font different than the liberation one will be used, not pretty, but no game breaker in case of oversight.
GinGin

Postby GinGin » Sun May 31, 2020 7:34 pm

Some news.
I restarted from almost zero as I was learning Canvas etc and I wasnt quite happy with previous organisation I made.

Almost finish now with the first version of PFD rework, should be good for merge request in a few days.

Left: Previous one
Center: New one
Right: Real one ( darker in reality, without that glow from camera)

GinGin

Postby amalahama » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Really amazing GinGin! It looks really alike! I'm looking forward to trying it
amalahama

Postby GinGin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:18 am

Almost there.
A lot of small adjustments here and there.
COuldn't resist to add Flags ( CDI, BRG and GS )

An example there:
No entry guidance available, bearing and CDI flag because HSI is fed with no datas

Entry guidance selected

Also yellow tape with radar or baro alti in OPS 3 or 6 below 2000 feet ( QNH or AGL)

Good example in Edwards, elevation of 2000 feetish

Radar Altimeters not turned on, Baro altitude still displayed

Radar altimeters switched back to on, Radar alti displayed with a R for confirmation in both HUD and H tape

Good nasal exercise
GinGin

Postby amalahama » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:46 am

Congrats GinGin, looks fantastic!
amalahama

Postby GinGin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:14 pm

amalahama wrote in Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:46 am:Congrats GinGin, looks fantastic!

Glad you like it :)
GinGin

Postby Vinny002 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:22 am

Looking really good my friend!! I am looking forward to trying it out!! Cheers, Vincent.
Vinny002

Re: Space Shuttle - Display adjustments (PFD, DPS, HUD,...)

Postby GinGin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:56 pm

I updated the first post with last work on pfd ( that I am about to submit to Thorsten, so final for now)

I started resizing of some HUD elements

GinGin

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight