Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Help

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Help

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:58 am

I'm not 100% sure, but I think airplane-side key bindings take precedence over user-assigned ones, so you'd have to modify the Shuttle key bindings if it's about re-assigning an existing binding.

Otherwise you can assign pretty much any event to any key you like - you just have to know the name of the property to change or the Nasal code to call.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Alright.
I added keyboard shortcut and C2 panel one. I can assign a keyboard touch to an external device now, very handy :)0

I was tweaking the PFD to have KEAS below Mach 0.9 for entry.
Could you indicate me where I have to look in the pfd.nas to extend the range for the velocity ladder when KEAS is displayed ?
Also for the Mach Box at the bottom, I would like to display decimal of it ( 0.1 through 0.9)

GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby eatdirt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi there,
I flew my first RTLSs these days, and with the AP, everything goes smooth.

Trying to fly it manually though, I am getting killed while approaching empty tank close to MECO, the Shuttle starts pitching up as crazy and breaks.
That's stupid, but in fact, I don't know how to properly do a manual MECO? If i cut the engines at a few % remaining, even fast, I am starting rolling and the RCS seems to be inefficient to stabilize the roll. How do you that manually guys?

Thanks,
Cheers.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:11 pm

That's an issue that's actually semi-real - the CoG gets out of the range of what the engine gimbal can manage if the center engine is gone.

I have no clue how to resolve this - I've found a remark about automatic throttling down to change the bending force acting on the thrust structure in the Abort Handbook, but I have no engineering data to model bending of the thrust structure under load.

Bottomline - if you want to be safe, don't fail the center engine.

If you want to do a manual MECO, cutoff switches ought to do the job. I'm not 100% sure how guidance will respond to that, you probably have to do a manual OPS 602 PRO because you need the aerojet DAP quickly (and of course having SERC on is a good idea...) - I have not excessively tested that though, GinGin might know better.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks Thorsten, that helped. In fact, pitching down quite hard when the message "Pitch down" appears just before MECO does the job, even in CSS mode, the AP cuts-off the engines. But not pitching down enough, it does not, certainly due to unsafe position and then you go to spin. Next step surviving re-entry :)
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:08 am

If you cut manually the engines ( which you will need to do if you don't have the -2 ° of alpha with no rates for ET sep), do it fast ( with keyboard shortcut or canvas one) and quickly do a manual ET sep to recover full roll authority with RCS in MM 602 Major Mode.
GinGin

Postby Vinny002 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 pm

The launch went very well, but about an hour into the flight, the RCS and OMS engines fire unexpectedly until the perigee is inside the earth! How to solve this issue? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:23 am

'An hour into the flight' sounds like no insertion burn was done and so the Shuttle got back into the atmosphere and received a nice bit of aerobraking.

How do you know the OMS engines fired (aka, what parameters did you monitor)?
Thorsten

Postby Vinny002 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:27 pm

I am sorry, I meant to say the OMS engines did not fire, i think what happened is the perigee is like about 72 NM, the perigee gets lower with each orbit, and the space shuttle eventually fall back to earth.

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby GinGin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Hey Vincent, like said Thorsten, you missed the burn around 40 mn ish that would raise the Perigee
Hence you fall back into atmosphere, RCS try to fight to maintain attitude in a denser layer of atmopshere and that is all :)

Have a look there in addition to the manual

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Space_Shuttle#Nominal_Operations

and don't hesitate to provide pictures with your problems :)
GinGin

Postby GinGin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:58 pm

I was wondering if the angle in Jbs sim AP properties where in radians or degrees ( I am trying to put a limit on the AP pitch deg/S for ascent AP)
GinGin

Postby Vinny002 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 am

Question for you, when the space shuttle is launched from Vandenberg AFB the space shuttle will head south, right? Another question for you, is the new space shuttle update coming out soon? Thanks!!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:00 am

I was wondering if the angle in Jbs sim AP properties where in radians or degrees ( I am trying to put a limit on the AP pitch deg/S for ascent AP)

Targets and limits are usually in deg (aka, Nasal writes deg), all that goes into trigonometry internally is converted to rad (usually the property name should then end in -rad).

Question for you, when the space shuttle is launched from Vandenberg AFB the space shuttle will head south, right?

Wrong, it will do whatever is programmed as launch target, regardless of whether this makes sense or not.

Another question for you, is the new space shuttle update coming out soon?

No.
Thorsten

Postby Vinny002 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm

It sounds like the FG space shuttle update is not going to be out for few years from now!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby GinGin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm

What do you mean by update?
Thé currrent stable one has less than six months .

On the beta branch , updates are made monthly if not daily or weekly
You have already for months of gameplay to master the current version anyway :)
GinGin

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight