Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Flight

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Flight

Postby GinGin » Wed May 29, 2019 3:13 pm

I played with AOA again after following a close to reality NASA ascent profile ( MECO 350 kfeet, 0.7 degrees of path angle ) in order to have a solid state vector to compare Nasa AOA data and LEO targeting solution.

I have to stay, it works even better with those MECO conditions, nice :)

And a Re entry with sun rising up

Two engine out Green, trying to make it to an ECAL site.3.9 G's during pullout, tough one

And of course bailout, too low on speed at failure :(

GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby GinGin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:38 am

Really happy on that manual insertion, Meco at 8 mn35 s with a very close to real missions state vector after MECO

The more I fly it manually to explore the flight model the more I appreciate the awesome work on it behind the lines.
It is so close to the real stuff.
For such a complicated aircraft, that has to be mentionned ( one more time, I know, a bit too much enthusiastic )

And then time to admire a Sun Sandwich :D

GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Okay, some 3 hours 10 from pad to HST rendezvous, so the good news is that it's all possible.

My actual trajectory was awful though, so I won't be going back (no propellant left for a de-orbit burn). So it requires some planning skill to pull this off, the error margin is a bit smaller than for ISS...
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Well done :)
GinGin

Postby Johan G » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Those screenshots are SoTM quality. Hint, hint, wink, wink. ;) 8)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby eatdirt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:51 am

so I won't be going back (no propellant left for a de-orbit burn).

Same here, got only 20% OMS remaining, but I was far for optimal too.
eatdirt

Postby eatdirt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Some shots on my last Hubble Space Telescope incursion these last two days:

Got ok with OMS fuel this time, it remains 40%. But the stationkeeping displayed on the picture is not the way to go, the orientation of the HST put me with some non-vanishing Y shift that made me burning all the RCS fuel after a few orbits. To catch it, I suspect, vbar station keeping is the way to go, together with complicated bending of the canadarm.

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:57 am

Awesome shot .
In real , it was a r bar approach for grapple , more efficient

You can have a look to hubble mission rendez vous Data files page 27

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/345783main_RNDZ_125_F_1.pdf
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:55 am

But the stationkeeping displayed on the picture is not the way to go, the orientation of the HST put me with some non-vanishing Y shift that made me burning all the RCS fuel after a few orbits.

I think i may not yet have switched HST to inertial attitude hold mode (?). so it would act like ISS and hold LVLH.

Anyway, at this stage you can't actually do anything with it yet. I'll be on holiday soonish and have a ton of movie-production to do, so for the time being it'll be a somewhat quirky rendezvous target - we'll get to the rest in time (also Wayne had some idea for service missions I remember...)
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:10 pm

I'll be on holiday soonish and have a ton of movie-production to do, so for the time being it'll be a somewhat quirky rendezvous target

Don't worry about making it realistic, it is still a very interesting target to approach, small size, and the funny LVLH current orientation is cool actually... Have fun for well-deserved holidays, far from FG I hope, we harass you so much :)

@Gingin
You can have a look to hubble mission rendez vous Data files page 27

Thanks Gingin, very nice ref, soon on my desk too :)

Thanks for the advices for the CSS launch, I need training. For the funny story, I have succeeded already to snatch the SRBs without exploding... They go on flying in parallel together afterwards and I am stuck to my fate as the DPS thinks they still attached...

Cheers.
eatdirt

Postby eatdirt » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Some seriously wrong RTLS with early engine failure... With HST targetting, I have actually too much energy going back and the AP gets lost after missing the heading cone. Taking manual a bit too late, I've saved my a.. thanks to this beautiful road in front of KTTS ;)

Notice the wheels stop a 1m before the tree :mrgreen:

eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:37 am

While the energy management surely isn't perfect, early engine failure as such is well-tested - my standard RTLS test case is a failure 30 seconds after liftoff (and I believe we actually demonstrated such a mode on FSWeekend), so I suspect there's some other factor at play.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 am

so I suspect there's some other factor at play

That could be the lowest possible inclination, plus an empty Shuttle.
In the few cases I've tried with the AP, it is doing its best to deal with some extra-energy, I am very close to qbarmax in OPS 603 and far above the max curve "alt vs range" and then overshoot the heading cone.

Edit: After quite some tries, I think the main factor is that I was cutting one engine very (too?) early, around 1000ft/s. Waiting a bit, closer to 2000 ft/s, the AP works fine, and I can see that on RTLS traj that before PPA the trajectories in both cases are a bit different. An early engine cut is rather steep before PPA.

That's a quite exciting and beautiful stunt this PPA, especially in the FLY-BY view, when the Shuttle get almost at rest w.r.t Earth a while later, breathtaking!
eatdirt

Postby eatdirt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 pm

My first TAL to Banjul, and my best personal landing with crazy crosswinds (Live Data): At rest the Shuttle displayed 16 knots and the landscape was beautiful with many changes due the clouds moving fast.

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 am

Excellent Chris.
The last picture looks terrific, no respect to the flight rules ahah
Outstanding stormy sky
Weather is really a thing in that sim.

Don't hesitate to do more sum up of your journey, always entertaining to see what others do with the Shuttle.

Seeing the Tiger Stripes on the Bay, It must have been a close to thermal limit TAL entry
GinGin

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight