Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Right - I've really no idea what's going on; I think I'll be needing to reclone that Shuttle...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby GinGin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:22 am

Yes, fresh install :)
Never had that also
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:34 am

Just for information, even if not supported, I did another test at the end of my stationkeeping to HST. I saved the state while I was at a few meters from Hubble, and then I resumed it a few seconds after, still within the same fgfs session. HST ended up a few hundred kms away, so something big seems to be happening for a resume within the proximity zone.

The key phrase seems to be 'at the end of your stationkeeping' - the actual drift must have happened all the way before, you just did not see that.

I think what happens is that the handover has (for a reason which I have yet to determine) issues with the continuity of the v component - if that is altered, the target is effectively placed on a different orbit in near and far zone, the Shuttle has to match the new orbit for the rendezvous of course and ends up phasing with respect to the far zone target on its unaltered orbit.

Since saving/resuming knows nothing of the near zone, after a sufficiently long time the phasing will get you to quite a different location.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:36 pm

Surely its not just me - symtptoms include:
-
Code: Select all
Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
  351.07 [ALRT]:nasal        at C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/rel_orbital.nas, line 2900
  351.07 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/rel_orbital.nas, line 2226
  351.07 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/rel_orbital.nas, line 3187

-
Code: Select all
 Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        at C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 951
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 1008
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 1021
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 1025

I've triple checked I'm on the right branch and remote; I've recompiled FlightGear, is anyone out there seeing even one of these?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:50 pm

No, not seeing those.

Conceivably they could arise from a changed FG startup sequence - they query JSBSim/FG properties, if Nasal is started earlier for some reason than in 2018.3 or prior, then these properties might not be set.

If so, I imagine this might wreck wide-spread havoc among aircraft though....

Do you have a 2018.X FG version around to test whether there is such a regression?
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:15 pm

I don't I'm afraid but I'm not seeing strange errors on any other aircraft.

All I can think of is perhaps it's to do with slower initialization on my system - or else maybe I could try deleting the flightgear.org cache if an older version of the shuttle corrupted aircraft settings...?
legoboyvdlp

Postby GinGin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:38 pm

I never saw those one Lego.
I am still running 2018.3 though.
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:09 am

All I can think of is perhaps it's to do with slower initialization on my system - or else maybe I could try deleting the flightgear.org cache if an older version of the shuttle corrupted aircraft settings...?

I don't see how that should be related...

Anyway - do we (roughly) know when these issues started? You ran the Shuttle before without reporting them and the HUD code hasn't been touched in a while.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:11 am

I hadn't flown the Shuttle for about six weeks at the time (two weeks ago). At this point I think I'll just have to download and try an older version (2018.3.2) and see if it works; if not my system must have something odd - I've no idea what though...

About two weeks ago Windows was going ballistic as well - thanks to bad advice given by Microsoft support asking me to run a script that caused system instability ... - and I had to update to 1809 - surely that couldn't cause it though... certainly everything else is working perfectly (or in fact much better) since.
legoboyvdlp

Previous

Return to Spaceflight