Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Right - I've really no idea what's going on; I think I'll be needing to reclone that Shuttle...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby GinGin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 am

Yes, fresh install :)
Never had that also
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:34 am

Just for information, even if not supported, I did another test at the end of my stationkeeping to HST. I saved the state while I was at a few meters from Hubble, and then I resumed it a few seconds after, still within the same fgfs session. HST ended up a few hundred kms away, so something big seems to be happening for a resume within the proximity zone.

The key phrase seems to be 'at the end of your stationkeeping' - the actual drift must have happened all the way before, you just did not see that.

I think what happens is that the handover has (for a reason which I have yet to determine) issues with the continuity of the v component - if that is altered, the target is effectively placed on a different orbit in near and far zone, the Shuttle has to match the new orbit for the rendezvous of course and ends up phasing with respect to the far zone target on its unaltered orbit.

Since saving/resuming knows nothing of the near zone, after a sufficiently long time the phasing will get you to quite a different location.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Surely its not just me - symtptoms include:
-
Code: Select all
Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
  351.07 [ALRT]:nasal        at C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/rel_orbital.nas, line 2900
  351.07 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/rel_orbital.nas, line 2226
  351.07 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/rel_orbital.nas, line 3187

-
Code: Select all
 Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        at C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 951
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 1008
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 1021
  834.59 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGear/Custom Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/HUD/HUD_main.nas, line 1025

I've triple checked I'm on the right branch and remote; I've recompiled FlightGear, is anyone out there seeing even one of these?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:50 pm

No, not seeing those.

Conceivably they could arise from a changed FG startup sequence - they query JSBSim/FG properties, if Nasal is started earlier for some reason than in 2018.3 or prior, then these properties might not be set.

If so, I imagine this might wreck wide-spread havoc among aircraft though....

Do you have a 2018.X FG version around to test whether there is such a regression?
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 pm

I don't I'm afraid but I'm not seeing strange errors on any other aircraft.

All I can think of is perhaps it's to do with slower initialization on my system - or else maybe I could try deleting the flightgear.org cache if an older version of the shuttle corrupted aircraft settings...?
legoboyvdlp

Postby GinGin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:38 pm

I never saw those one Lego.
I am still running 2018.3 though.
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:09 am

All I can think of is perhaps it's to do with slower initialization on my system - or else maybe I could try deleting the flightgear.org cache if an older version of the shuttle corrupted aircraft settings...?

I don't see how that should be related...

Anyway - do we (roughly) know when these issues started? You ran the Shuttle before without reporting them and the HUD code hasn't been touched in a while.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:11 am

I hadn't flown the Shuttle for about six weeks at the time (two weeks ago). At this point I think I'll just have to download and try an older version (2018.3.2) and see if it works; if not my system must have something odd - I've no idea what though...

About two weeks ago Windows was going ballistic as well - thanks to bad advice given by Microsoft support asking me to run a script that caused system instability ... - and I had to update to 1809 - surely that couldn't cause it though... certainly everything else is working perfectly (or in fact much better) since.
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:44 am

To everyone who has problems with the Shuttle:

The FG core probably has a regression causing issues.

We have the Shuttle tested extensively on 2018.3, and I am confident that the FG core in that version works okay. So if a bug is confirmed with 2018.3, I'm going to take it and investigate it Shuttle-side.

The 2019.X versions are problematic. There's at least one issue (JSBSim not initializing channels before they're actually executed) that is identified. This issue is fixed in the nightlies (most current and potentially unstable FG development version). However, testing with the nightlies, I have come across yet more issues (which unfortunately seem to be difficult to reproduce).

If you experience any problems with a version other than 2018.3, please revert to 2018.3 and see whether this fixes the issue. If it does, please report your findings to the mailing list, as this is a core regression. If it does not and you see issues with 2018.3, report to the Shuttle bugfix thread.

If you have issues with 2019.1, you can also try a nightly whether the known and fixed JSBSim issue is all that troubles you - this helps us in understanding if there is more going on.

Thanks!
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Noted.
Ineeed, I don’t have all the issues I see here and there with 2018.3
Last edited by GinGin on Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GinGin

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:40 pm

i'm trying to figure out how to go back to the commit(s) i was on before i messed up and pulled new updates from the FG repos... i'm just not sure the date which is probable the best way i could find to go back to... i only keep 10 logs and they've already been recycled from build testing or i'd have a list of the commits i could back up to :|

[edit]

i found my post from the other day where i spoke of possibly making a video of a successful launch... that was on the 20th so i've gone back looking at the git log for FG and SG and found the last commits before the 20th were on the 17th so i've reset my local repos to those commits and rebuilt FG... now we'll test and see what happens... i'll post back over in the shuttle dev area how that goes...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby eatdirt » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi there,
playing with the failure scenarios, I've noticed a few things weird, that I've never tested before:

- In BFS mode, once in orbit in OPS 104, DAP AUTO does not seem to exist, also on the eyebrow, it is impossible to select PITCH/ROLL to AUTO, they are frozen on CSS. I don't know if that is expected, but for instance, this prevents using ITEM+27 to get the right attitude for an OMS-1 or OMS-2 burn.

- Upon reaching orbit in the abort mode ATO, I've never succeeded to use the ITEM+35 +1 or +2 to program an OMS-1 or OMS-2 burn, it loads like a burn with 0 velocity. Maybe it has to be defined in the mission file?

- In a few situations, I was badly choosing to fly a TAL abort but finally ended in orbit. In that situation, I was never able to get the DAP to go back to OPS 104, it seems to get locked in Aerojet mode trying to get into attitude for the TAL reentry, with the FWD RCS switch-off forever.

Any help, advice appreciated! Thanks,
Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:06 pm

- In BFS mode, once in orbit in OPS 104, DAP AUTO does not seem to exist,

Yeah, I don't think it does. BFS offers only a subset of what PASS can do.

- Upon reaching orbit in the abort mode ATO, I've never succeeded to use the ITEM+35 +1 or +2 to program an OMS-1 or OMS-2 burn, it loads like a burn with 0 velocity. Maybe it has to be defined in the mission file?

Yes, most abort specifics have to be i-loaded. Though I don't think these ones are...It's well possible that your orbit already was acceptable to satisfy ATO criteria (it doesn't try to insert you into anything regular - just high enough to make sure you'll have a full orbit to decide what to do next).

- In a few situations, I was badly choosing to fly a TAL abort but finally ended in orbit. In that situation, I was never able to get the DAP to go back to OPS 104, it seems to get locked in Aerojet mode trying to get into attitude for the TAL reentry, with the FWD RCS switch-off forever.

Well, yes - I doubt the real Shuttle software would be able to handle that. If you are in orbit and have the time, I believe you should be able to get by loading OPS 2 software and using MM 202 for maneuvering.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks for the help Thorsten, yes, for the ATO I was on a super elliptical orbit 170 / 65, so safe, but I though the +2 would be able to circularize.

For BFS, that means OMS burns are done in manual attitude control, I've never tried that before but that sounds quite interesting :)

cheers,
chris.
eatdirt

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight