Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:38 pm

I think for now I would add the ramp to the structure instead of the models database. At least it would all work. Yeah, I know, one more thing to go with in the shuttle package.

On another note: i am going to have to build fgdata for each dissection to track the starting of the bugs. Rebuilding fgfs and not fgdata (using next) works enough to run the sim and identified my bugs are still there in both the aircrane and shuttle even in 2018.3.4 fgfs. Thus why I asked if it makes sense it could be fgdata where the bug lies? If I pull 2018.3.4 fgdata and the bug is gone in using both 2018.3.4 fgfs and 2019.1, if it will even work enough to have any kind of integrity, well, then I think that would be telling.

Yes, it looks like the gantry structure is also placed in the wrong. The way I see it, rotate the entirety of the assembled shuttle and gantry models 90 deg clockwise (looking down on it) and you have it correct. Also there is a building sitting on the crawler road.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Well that was silly, I thought I had to download fgdata for each version, but duhhh, its a git repo... How long have I been involved in FG?

OK, I think I have a workflow figured out. It took awhile to get my mind wrapped around all the parts that need to be synced. Whew, it'll make an old man's head spin.

I've a dedicated drive now to do this. It's going to take some time to compile through the steps but hopefully I'll get some kind of a view as to where and when things went astray. I've not yet got back to stable 2018.3.4. My brain refused to comply with the logic of what has to happen to get back to "Go". I think i am on the correct path now. Will report when I have something.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:03 am

simgear 2018.3.4
fgfs 2018.3.4
fgdata 2018.3

milestone3 no limits.nas nil error
milestone4 limits.nas nil error starts

I don't know how to debug this, am I missing a piece? There is no way I should have to go back this far in the Shuttle versions to get past that error?
Last edited by wlbragg on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby xDraconian » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:55 am

I always do a clean rebuild after backtracking - just to ensure the older source files get recompiled and linked.
I would also reconfigure CMake for the same reason.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:36 am

I'm using download_and_compile (Linux) and I am wiping the build folder and all other ancillary folder between builds. FGDATA git version tags and Shuttle git milestone tags. I don't think OSG or PLIB have anything to do with it so it is basically just a clean build of simgear and fgfs. It rebuilds cmake and pulls the version I request in the d&c script.
There really isn't much else I can do.
I somewhat stumped at why I am not getting a clean log using 2018.3.4 until I get back to milestone3.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:01 am

simgear 2019.2.0
fgfs 2019.2.0
fgdata next

milestone3 no limits.nas nil error
milestone4 limits.nas nil error starts

I don't get it.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:33 am

:oops: Well, it looks like it was some Florida custom scenery that was responsible for triggering the limits.nas error I was getting. I can't explain that, but at this point I really don't care. I'm just glad to get past it.So maybe now I can get somewhere bisecting FGFS versions. But first I need to identify a bug in 2019. that is not in 2018.

Can anyone point me to the custom Florida scenery I should be using?
wlbragg

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:45 am

legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:38 am

Thanks, I was using the right one. It looks like it was something stupid I was doing, -9999 for altitude as best I can tell is what was causing it.
Glad I got past that, that was driving me crazy.

OK I am stable at 2018.3.4

Now to start bisecting and see if I can start generating some issues.

Is there any issue that was somewhat consistent that i should be watching for?
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:52 am

Try repeated launches - I've not seen issues with every launch in 2019.2, but with about 1/3 of them (one explosion and the funny SRB sep). Other people seem to die on the way up more reliably.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:01 am

Well I am on my way to orbit using 2019.2 and so far the only error is
Code: Select all
GEOMETRY glCompileShader "/mnt/GDrive/Aircraft/Development Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Shaders/model-interior-ALS-velcro.geom" FAILED
  179.41 [WARN]:OSG        GEOMETRY Shader "/mnt/GDrive/Aircraft/Development Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Shaders/model-interior-ALS-velcro.geom" infolog:
0:3(12): warning: extension `GL_EXT_geometry_shader4' unsupported in geometry shader

That could just be my graphics card, although I thought I recalled you recently mentioning something about a geometry shader problem that suddenly popped up. Or was that related to compositor build?
First launch and I am through srb sep with no issues.

This will be my last attempt tonight with 2019.2. I'll do several more tomorrow and see if I can trigger something.

Time passes and I'm good all the way through propellant dump. I'll try again tomorrow.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:22 am

That was compositor, yes, I haven't seen it in the Shuttle. It's probably the graphics driver not accepting the fancy stuff we're doing beyond our GLSL version...
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:17 pm

wlbragg wrote in Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:33 am::oops: Well, it looks like it was some Florida custom scenery that was responsible for triggering the limits.nas error I was getting. I can't explain that, but at this point I really don't care. I'm just glad to get past it.So maybe now I can get somewhere bisecting FGFS versions. But first I need to identify a bug in 2019. that is not in 2018.

i fought through like a dozen or more launches yesterday trying to get a good launch with 2019.2... i finally remembered that i had rebooted my system and i forgot to wiggle my joystick so it was sending ugly positions... when i reboot, forget to wiggle the joystick, and load the UFO, it always some up at full tile (nose full up or down) and spinning... once i remembered about wiggling my joystick, i was able to get a good launch and not have the shuttle nose over immediately and break apart...

on the custom scenery thing, i did notice that where the crawler and shuttle are positioned with the ramp that the shuttle is leaning toward the tank-side... i don't think that really matters but it did direct me down a different tunnel in the rabbit warren :lol:

so once i wiggled my joystick, launch was good and orbit insertion takes place about 9 minutes after shift-i... i'll be checking again with lego's custom scenery and the shuttle on the ramp... i've been launching from KTTS:South_Ramp which isn't ideal but i can achieve a 51.6 ISS orbit plane even with a not optimal orientation...

i should mention that i'm also using the latest development branch shuttle with the latest 2019.2.0 FG/SG code and OSG 3.6.5...

the only other thing i should mention is that i have to use a non-compositor build of FG... when i use a compositor build, i quit after 15 minutes because there's a seemingly endless stream of
Code: Select all
  906.79 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  913.95 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  913.95 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  921.10 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  921.10 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  928.26 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  928.26 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  935.50 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  935.50 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  942.65 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  942.65 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  949.81 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  949.81 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  956.94 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  956.94 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  964.08 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  964.08 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  971.22 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  971.22 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  978.37 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  978.37 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  985.53 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  985.53 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  985.53 [ALRT]:input      can't find "Compositor/Effects/model-interior-extended.eff"
  985.53 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Effects/model-interior-extended
  985.53 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Effects/model-interior-display
  985.53 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Models/Effects/Interior/shuttle-display
  985.53 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Models/Effects/Interior/shuttle-digital
  992.67 [ALRT]:input      Could not locate shaderCompositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  992.67 [ALRT]:input      Error building technique: couldn't find shader Compositor/Shaders/secondary_lights.frag
  992.67 [ALRT]:input      can't find "Compositor/Effects/model-interior-extended.eff"
  992.67 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Effects/model-interior-extended
  992.67 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Effects/model-interior-display
  992.67 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Models/Effects/Interior/shuttle-display
  992.67 [ALRT]:input      can't find base effect Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Models/Effects/Interior/shuttle-digital

which i hope will be fixed sooner than later... i'm anxious to see the shuttle with the better graphics rendering the compositor will bring...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Once i remembered about wiggling my joystick, i was able to get a good launch and not have the shuttle nose over immediately and break apart...

I don't have any joystick, so I can't investigate this, but it is somewhat mysterious in itself, because unless you actually switch to manual, the stick input should be invisible to the FDM, as the engine gimbals aren't fed any stick signals but just the launch program.

During ascent I can move the mouse however I like in control mode, and I see the control inputs (shown on the FG-native HUD) move just fine - they just don't do anything, I stay on the regular ascent path.

I've also done a test pulling the controls all the way to pitch-up before igniting the engines - again, as expected, the ascent DAP ignores the control input and launches me regularly.

So I am at a loss what the joystick does which the mouse or keyboard do not.

i'm anxious to see the shuttle with the better graphics rendering the compositor will bring...

We're working on getting the paths to the correct file. 8)

But generally don't expect much except for shadows in exterior views on the ground - the Shuttle has its own set of custom lightmaps/shaders which will basically stay, they're raytraced and far more detailed than a runtime shadow map could be, The only compositor feature that is planned is the CCTV camera once we can render secondary views to canvas.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:41 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm:
Once i remembered about wiggling my joystick, i was able to get a good launch and not have the shuttle nose over immediately and break apart...

I don't have any joystick, so I can't investigate this, but it is somewhat mysterious in itself

it is something with my system... all i have to do is wiggle the stick and the input from the stick settles down otherwise the system thinks the stick is at the extreme end of both axis' even though the stick is centered... even just moving the throttle up and down will settle it out... i haven't tried clicking any of its buttons to see if that works... i'll try to remember to try that next time... it doesn't matter when i do this, either... i generally remember to do it right after booting but yesterday i was involved in testing something else and forgot...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight