Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Even if it's giving wrong input the shuttle still should ignore that input and follow the autopilot, on the left glareshield is the light on AUTO or CSS?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:29 pm

all i have to do is wiggle the stick and the input from the stick settles down otherwise the system thinks the stick is at the extreme end of both axis' even though the stick is centered...

That's just the thing - all your stick should be able to do (whatever you do with it) is set e.g. /fdm/jsbsim/fcs/elevator-pitch-cmd (because that's what's linked with /controls/ ).

However, as long as /fdm/jsbsim/systems/ap/launch/autolaunch-pitch-channel is set (which is the default case when you initialize the Shuttle) - it should not matter for the gimbals one bit whatever the value of /fdm/jsbsim/fcs/elevator-pitch-cmd is - because it gets multiplied with zero anyway.

The relevant bit looks like this - whatever enters the pitch rate error when the auto channel is on is autolaunch-pitch-channel.

Code: Select all
      <fcs_function name="systems/vectoring/pitch-rate-error">
      <function>
         <difference>
            <property>velocities/q-rad_sec</property>
            <product>
               <sum>
                  <product>
                    <property>fcs/elevator-cmd-norm-css</property>
                  <difference>
                     <value>1.0</value>
                     <property>systems/ap/launch/autolaunch-pitch-channel</property>
                  </difference>
                  </product>
                  <product>
                     <property>systems/ap/launch/pitch-cmd</property>
                     <property>systems/ap/launch/autolaunch-pitch-channel</property>
                  </product>
               </sum>
               <value>-0.2</value>
            </product>
         </difference>
      </function>
      </fcs_function>

To be able to affect the rate controller in any way, your stick would have to magically guess one of my custom DAP properties - the whole system is from scratch written in JSBSim and doesn't use the FG layer at all - so how can your stick affect it????
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:07 pm

Do I have to do anything in the "re-entry" scenario to re enter successfully besides start it up and watch?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:18 pm

The Shuttle is going to bitch about NAV incorporation eventually, but otherwise it should be good to go - start SpaceShuttle-entry, select one of the scenarios, watch the show (if you select 'Low energy entry' and fail to switch on low energy logic, you'll come short). They're meant to provide a rapid, standardized testing environment.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:44 pm

If no scenario is chosen, should you expect to burn up?
2 flame outs without scenario, torn wing with "high energy". This is 2019.2, milestone 12.

If I am doing this correctly I need to try with 2018.3.4 and see if I get different results.
wlbragg

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:28 pm:Even if it's giving wrong input the shuttle still should ignore that input and follow the autopilot, on the left glareshield is the light on AUTO or CSS?

i don't know... i'll have to look... it is whatever the default is... currently i'm just loading shuttle-launch from the launcher and starting up... then the only thing i do it start the APUs and shift-i to go...

[edit]

looks like they're all on auto...
Last edited by wkitty42 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:57 pm

If no scenario is chosen, should you expect to burn up?

Without scenario, you might be literally anywhere with respect to the landing site - it's possible that if you're too close, the heat shield can't handle the job. If you're too far or at a bad angle? I sure haven't tried too many unreasonable solutions.

The point of the scenario is that it places you at a fixed position with respect to the landing site and sets guidance correctly.

I've flown every of the scenarios at least twice and got identical (survival) results every time in 2018.3, so I would definitely not expect you to lose a wing.

currently i'm just loading shuttle-launch from the launcher and starting up... then the only thing i do it start the APUs and shift-i to go...

Your procedure is okay, AUTO is the default and if it were not, you'd never have succeeded when centering the stick.

I've tried to deliberately set full elevator before liftoff - but for me all worked fine.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Lost thermal protection in 2018.3 "high energy".

Nothing in the logs. I'll try another scenario.
wlbragg

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:29 pm:
all i have to do is wiggle the stick and the input from the stick settles down otherwise the system thinks the stick is at the extreme end of both axis' even though the stick is centered...

That's just the thing - all your stick should be able to do (whatever you do with it) is set e.g. /fdm/jsbsim/fcs/elevator-pitch-cmd (because that's what's linked with /controls/ ).

it does it for everything that uses the joystick, not just FG... i'm fairly sure that it is an OS level problem... something isn't being initialized until the stick sends something... like the ""driver"" is just generating wild output at the max end of the x and y axis'... it is not specific to the shuttle or to FG at all...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Again - the Shuttle during is controlled by the engine gimbal code which doesn't know about your OS. The controller of that code is specifically instructed to not listen to external inputs - apart from a number that gets multiplied with zero, it is a completely self-contained unit in JSBSim.

Don't you see why I wonder how on Earth your stick can affect that bit of code?
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:54 pm

Pitch and Roll is not switching to auto early on, is it supposed to? That's my failure point in 2018. If I switch it to auto right after scenario select, it's successful.

EDIT: works fine in 2019.2 (next) so long as I make sure pitch and roll is on auto.

This is going to be difficult if I can't get any failures.
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 pm

The controller of that code is specifically instructed to not listen to external inputs

I have to say that I also experienced what wkitty is describing, joystick inputs are not ignored during (or maybe before?) lunch, whatever things are engaged in the cockpit. I have paid attention now to all trimmings, and throttle levels, but no so long ago I was able to initiate a launch only by pushing the throttle that was igniting the OMS engines, and then the SRB followed without the MPS :) I have no tested this since a while, but with the piece of code you mentioned, I'll investigate in a rational way if and how this is still possible.

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=35076&p=345700&hilit=OMS#p345647

@wkitty, in case you might not know, in the joystick configuration menu, or on the command line "js_demo", you can really check what Flightgear sees as joystick inputs.

Cheers,
Chris
eatdirt

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm:Again - the Shuttle during is controlled by the engine gimbal code which doesn't know about your OS. The controller of that code is specifically instructed to not listen to external inputs - apart from a number that gets multiplied with zero, it is a completely self-contained unit in JSBSim.

Don't you see why I wonder how on Earth your stick can affect that bit of code?

yes, i do see how you can wonder that... i wonder, too, based on what you are saying... i mean, i understand what you're saying but i know what i'm seeing here and trying to describe... it is easy for me to reproduce any time... all i have to do is reboot and not wiggle the joystick... it has been like this since i got the joystick... i reboot only when i absolutely have to because i have several VM servers running on this machine, too ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:59 pm

eatdirt wrote in Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 pm:@wkitty, in case you might not know, in the joystick configuration menu, or on the command line "js_demo", you can really check what Flightgear sees as joystick inputs.

yeah, i do know about that tool... i'm trying to figure out how i can see what the joystick is outputting without sending some sort of reset which may fix the problem... i'll try to remember to use the js_demo tool the next time i reboot and see if it offers any indication...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:03 pm

but no so long ago I was able to initiate a launch only by pushing the throttle that was igniting the OMS engines, and then the SRB followed without the MPS

Throttle is different - that's not by-passed at the FDM level, apparently your joystick config is able to override the Shuttle-side disabling of SRB and OMS throttle control .
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight