Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Development

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:20 am

Another question for you, is this new version of space shuttle is compatible with FG 2019.x?

'next' may work, 2019.1 probably not, it's buggy.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Now also the difficult training scenarios should work.

They are great and super useful, I have been playing with in the last few days as I have not done many aborts before.

I've just noticed one thing, I usually take my time to set everything up before ignition, and a few failures are actually happening before ignition, like APU, GPC failures, Avbay overheating. I don't know if that is supposed to happen, but I would say that it renders the scenario not so much difficult any more, I suspect they're all launchpad abort then. Of course, you still need to notice before pressing SHIFT+I :)

I am visiting my parents for x-mas, and running 2018.3 on their old computer: I confirm again that everything runs smooth, the AOA in the bucket is perfectly negative, not even one warning of dynamical pressure getting close to the boundary. Same launch with the next branch does not produce the same stage-1 traj, AOA in the bucket is barely negative and a lot of dynamical pressure warnings pop out; so I agree with you Thorsten, some hidden issues remain in the next-branch.

Just one question, to make the shuttle dev branch working on 2018.3 version, I imported back orbital_target.nas, is that all?
Thanks,
Cheers,
chris.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:57 pm

I usually take my time to set everything up before ignition, and a few failures are actually happening before ignition, like APU, GPC failures,

Meh - I haven't thought of this, the get_MET() function of course returns simulation elapsed time before liftoff. I'll have to fix this...

Just one question, to make the shuttle dev branch working on 2018.3 version, I imported back orbital_target.nas, is that all?

Even that shouldn't be necessary, but should give you better results if you use external tools to compute phasing solutions.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Same launch with the next branch does not produce the same stage-1 traj, AOA in the bucket is barely negative and a lot of dynamical pressure warnings pop out; so I agree with you Thorsten, some hidden issues remain in the next-branch.

That's indicative of the autopilot or jsbsim breaking surely though rather than memory corruption as suspected with other issues - either it's not going to the correct stage in the autopilot or the FDM is being interpreted differently?

For what it's worth on my side it has stopped crashing - but after it begins to pitch nose up (well, down - it's heads down launch) AOA increases to circa 12 and I tend to get warnings. It used to be that it wouldn't even get that far...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Does any of you get a consistent, reproducible difference between 2018.3 and 2019.X during launch?

I so far got only non-reproducible issues - which are terrible to debug :(
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:39 am

Meh - I haven't thought of this, the get_MET() function of course returns simulation elapsed time before liftoff. I'll have to fix this...

Should be good now.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:43 pm

Great, I'll give a try!
just two quick questions, how long the failure scenario is in progress? I've dealt with engine lock-ups and GPC failing en route to the ISS, and with some GPC reconfiguration now everything seems ok. Shall I expect something nasty occurring later on, like while phasing? These scenarios are fantastic, not knowing what is going to happen is delightful stressful :)

The other question being, can (shall) we reset the GPC matrix after a GPC has been voted out? For instance, I rebooted the failing GPC in OPS 201 later on; and it seems to behave, but the failing matrix remains the same and I don't know if I have to interpret the vote as updated or not?

Thanks for all the great job Thorsten!
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:22 am

Really cool to hear.
Do us a nice flight failure report :)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:46 am

just two quick questions, how long the failure scenario is in progress?

The scenario itself runs for 500 seconds or a fixed number of failures - whatever occurs first. So with ascent failure training, you're safe once the ET is separated and MPS propellant dump is done.

There'll be other failure trainings for on-orbit procedures and trouble during entry... :mrgreen:

The other question being, can (shall) we reset the GPC matrix after a GPC has been voted out? For instance, I rebooted the failing GPC in OPS 201 later on; and it seems to behave, but the failing matrix remains the same and I don't know if I have to interpret the vote as updated or not?

I don't actually remember whether re-booting a GPC and re-integrating it into the redundant set fixes its errors (?) - the procedure was slightly complicated, as a GPC boots in the system mode and it has to be instructed to load PASS specifically.

But you're right in that it doesn't reset the matrix. I have to take a look at what exactly the matrix does when you take a GPC down - presumably it should remove fail votes at that point (?)

Anyway, the whole thing was fairly complicated, so I have to read up the details - for now a failed GPC is basically gone and you can't use it any more.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:06 pm

presumably it should remove fail votes at that point (?)

Yep, most likely.
When the GPC is turned off and gone out of the Common Set, Matrix should reset.

In powered flight, GPC off and strings re assigned if time allows
On orbit, GPC can be recovered with a full Initial Program Load
GinGin

Postby eatdirt » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:42 pm

The new version works fine, failures start after ignition.
Today I got something like the IMUs dying in addition to the rest :) Fantastic, everything was off on the HUD and ADI ball, I had to TAL by looking at the windows to get a descent attitude :mrgreen:
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:46 am

Excellent.
Final astronaut graduation test :)
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 am

You may actually want to carefully look at what lamps illuminate when this thing happens - it's actually not an IMU failure, it's the consequence of a PASS software failure 8)
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:03 pm

it's the consequence of a PASS software failure

Yes, indeed, I should have engaged BFS! Still many things to learn, I am not yet graduated Gingin :)

I think I've encountered a bug in another try with PASS failing around SRB sep. In that case, the sim never detected that the SRB were separated and I had the shaky view till MECO. At MECO, the ET did not separate with a message saying "can't separate tank while SRBs are connected"

The console reads:

Creating medium category failure...
Creating subtle category failure...

0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1 0
1 1 1 0 0
0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0
Nasal runtime error: floating point error in math.asin()
at /home/chris/.Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/stages.nas, line 883
called from: /home/chris/.Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/stages.nas, line 364
Reading i-loaded stage 2 trajectory display data.
Backup flight system in control!

And I had a beautiful He leak with no warning, saved by the He interconnect line!

Thorsten, I don't think this is made on purpose, but I was unable to switch on BFS within the cockpit, it is like the button is not usable. Out of despair I tried the keyboard shortcut and it worked; this is a good one by the way :mrgreen:.
Edit: That's a good one from NASA, just understood that the BFS light is just a light and not a button...

Cheers,
Chris:
eatdirt

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:36 pm

houston, i think we have a problem...

Code: Select all
** Start Date: 2019-12-27 09:09:52 -0500 **
** RUNCMD=/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/run_fgfs.sh --launcher --config=/home/myuser/myflightgear/fg-shuttle-075km-horizon.rc --prop:/mission/filename=/home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft/my_shuttle_mission.xml **

0.09 [INFO]:general    FlightGear:  Version 2019.2.0
    0.09 [INFO]:general    FlightGear:  Build Type Dev
    0.09 [INFO]:general    Built with GNU C++ version 4.8
    0.09 [INFO]:general    Jenkins number/ID 0:none
    0.09 [INFO]:general    Processing config file: Path "/home/myuser/myflightgear/fg-shuttle-075km-horizon.rc"
[...]
   71.75 [INFO]:general         option:prop = /mission/filename=/home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft/my_shuttle_mission.xml
[...]
   72.25 [INFO]:general    aircraft-dir = "/home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft/SpaceShuttle"
   72.25 [INFO]:general    fghome-dir = "Path "/home/myuser/.fgfs""
   72.25 [INFO]:general    download-dir = "/home/myuser/.fgfs"
   72.25 [INFO]:general    terrasync-dir = "/home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery"
   72.25 [INFO]:general    aircraft-search-paths =
        /home/myuser/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft
        /home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft
[...]
  289.51 [ALRT]:io         loadxml: Cannot find XML property file 'Path "Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Mission//home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft/my_shuttle_mission.xml"'.
  289.51 [ALRT]:nasal      Cannot open mission file /home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft/my_shuttle_mission.xml, using defaults.

i'm trying to use my custom mission files from another directory so as to not pollute my shuttle repo... i don't always remember to stash my changes and they conflict with my WIP update script's use of "git pull -r upstream" which i've snagged from the dnc script... yes, i need to work on my updater script but still why cannot i use my mission file from my custom Aircraft directory? do i need to add it to another path so it can be found? i don't see any errors about an inaccessible directory due to the FG directory security...

my apologies if this is not in the proper area... please move it if necessary...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight