Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby eatdirt » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:37 pm

You completely right! Thanks!

More info at wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbiter_Boom_Sensor_System
eatdirt

Postby Vinny002 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 am

Hi, guys, question for you, how is the new FG space shuttle update coming along? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 am

don't take the cake out of the oven before it is fully baked...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby GinGin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 am

Vinny002 wrote in Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 am:Hi, guys, question for you, how is the new FG space shuttle update coming along? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

You asked the same question two days ago, what is the point ?
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Vinny002 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:57 am

Oh great, now I feel bad. I am just excited.

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 pm

How about you learn to operate properly what is there already? There's plenty to do...
Thorsten

Postby Vinny002 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 pm:How about you learn to operate properly what is there already? There's plenty to do...

You got the point there!! Like i said I am getting the hang of flying the FG space shuttle!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby eatdirt » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi there,
I have found
Code: Select all
SpaceShuttleLaunchAudio.wav
in the Sounds/ subdir of the Space Shuttle. That's very nice, are you preparing some nice surprise on the launchpad guys?

About the launch, I watched this movie recently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_(film)

In there, there is a footage of Atlantis STS-125 launch, which is super nice. I don't know if they've heavily edited the sound, but the SSME start in a very loud explosion!?
Once they run, they sound exactly like our SpaceShuttle. The SRBs sound is also very close to what we have, but I was wondering about the sound of starting the SSME, is it smooth or explosive as in this movie? Anyone knows?

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:54 pm

have you seen those igniters that are sparking off when the SMEs are about to light? i would imagine that with enough unlit fuel being pushed out that when they do light, there is a pretty large explosion... at least one of sound... you can also see that it doesn't take long for the fire to reach all the way up into the nozzle cone...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:08 am

I'm afraid there's no surprise with the sounds planned - if someone has a recording under a suitable license, we can happily use it though...

But after some thinking back and forth, I have started on 'Eileen' (the Shuttle enthusiasts will know who is referred to by the name), an interactive pilot that can assist the Shuttle commander with various tasks.

Currently I am teaching Eileen to do stationkeeping, with the idea that this will make satellite capture or spacewalk close to a rendezvous target easier. She might also learn the final stage of a docking operation, as well as landing the Shuttle...though I'm not sure about the latter.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Outstanding! :D
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby GinGin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 pm

@Thorsten: Indeed, another brillant addition to come, especially for the station keeping while busy playing with RMS
Eileen , what a woman.

Some insight on her Sts 93 flight which could have been dramatic with a leakage in the liquid H2 circuit in one of the Ssme at launch.
Saved by the redundancy and brillant conception of the propellant regulator ( and a nice dose of luck also )
Reading it with a bit of knowledge on shuttle engine fascinated me, definitely the most interesting aircraft in the world.

I let you read that article ( all the blog is outstanding , made by Wayne Hall a former MCC chief)

https://waynehale.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/sts-93-we-dont-need-any-more-of-those/

@Eatdirt : the sparkle igniters we see before ignition are almost noise less.
They are there to be sure that all the H2 is burnt to avoid hazard with contact between atmosphere O2 and unburnt liquid H2 coming from ssme

Maybe that link will answer to your question

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxyqr8BVVTA

Slow motion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUCRbVm5xg
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:42 pm

Meh. Teaching Eileen to do stationkeeping was easy. The bummer is that payloads don't create a sensor echo - because they're managed by different code from ISS or HST.

So I need to write a new payload management class. Which should be extensive enough to cover retrieval missions as well - in theory even assembly...

*hates the need to write the whole orbital stuff from scratch*
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:17 pm

in theory even assembly

Maybe I can take that portion on once you have the building blocks in place for the rest of it. I would do well to have a template, (so to speak), in front of me.

Unrelated, I briefly worked on getting "shiny" on the Hubble skin, I messed with an effect or two but really got bad to no usable results. I didn't spend much time on it because I was unsure of the best method to use. Can you suggest what effects method I should be using?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Maybe I can take that portion on once you have the building blocks in place for the rest of it. I would do well to have a template, (so to speak), in front of me.

The issue with assembly is that all data flow (sensor, dialog,...) flows from the object (ISS, satellite) manager to the proximity manager, which then hands it to the Shuttle displays or the dialogs - and decides when to use a detailed model and when an analytical orbit will do.

So the whole design needs a strategy to handle multiple objects, because in assembly you want to control what coordinates relative to what object you show.

I guess...

Basically there's going to be multiple handovers when assembly is done, including a 2 -> 1 merge of objects... which requires a good design up-front...

Can you suggest what effects method I should be using?

I think before entry the Vostok capsule is pretty shiny - does that do, or are you looking for something else?
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight