Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Development

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby GinGin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:24 pm

@Gomendio : Yes, you will need to change the earthview textures.
Basically in every version, it is the low res available.

2018 will work with all the last changes, the only thing you might miss is some better Physics for the target that is present in a nasal file in the 2019 version

It is this one :

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/ci/next/tree/Nasal/orbital_target.nas?format=raw

To put in your fg install: root/Nasal
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Gomendio » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Many thanks for the tip GinGin;-) I'll update it asap. :wink:
Gomendio

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:24 pm

For everyone running the devel version, I think I'm almost through with coding ascent issues.

* the helium system should now be mostly realistic, there's a detailed leakage simulation distinguishing isolatable from non-isolatable leaks and the interaction between different tanks should also be okay according to the valve schematics The only thing that's not realistic is that manifolds bleed down 'immediately' when isolation valves are closed - this doesn't really affect procedures, but I am aware that they don't do that in reality

* I've added a solid bunch of CWS messages - in particular command path and data path failures as well as more button failures (ETSep and Cutoff buttons may now fail) - as well as the failures of course. Mostly the failures are also realistic - a data path failure will 'hide' other issues which may or may not exist, so to correctly deal with this you need to understand the MPS and procedures (or you cheat and check whether then engine is still running in outside view...)

Implementing command and data path failures required me to re-do the way engine throttling and cutoff is handled - I *think* I've done it correctly for all scenarios (aborts included), but if you discover a scenario where no fault is present and yet an engine is not throttled, it's probably my fault

* in addition, an engine can now run 'redline' - which means the engine controller deems it unsafe to run. The limit enable/inhibit switch now governs what the controller will do - if limits are enabled it will shut down the engine, i.e. this is equivalent to a failure, but if limits are inhibited it will continue to run the engine. This gives a situation with a certain failure probability per time - most of the time the affected engine will just break when it finally dies, but sometimes it will blow the ET in the process. Nevertheless, there are situations where it is preferable to keep a redlined engine running - flying under BFS comes to mind, since the software can't handle a single-engine situation.

* there's also a couple of seemingly weird indicator couplings implemented - for instance if you get a GPC sync failure during ascent, it may not only vote the GPC out of the set but also create the indication of an engine lockup - which however is not real.

I've introduced the new concept of 'training scenarios' into the menu - (easy and medium already work) - basically by selecting one scenario while on the pad, you'll get a random failure of something during ascent. Easy fails just a single system - so you might lose an engine or deal with a helium leak - medium is more involved and gives you a staggered failure with more than one component breaking - hard will get the tough cases where you really need to analyze a situation correctly (and quickly) in order to survive.

So that's what you get for X-mas to play with :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:57 pm

That looks really interesting
Knowing how intricated are all those failures and the ton of pages that were used to deal with those kind of failures, that is a really good work.

I am finishing to play with Fuel cells failure and emergency deorbit, then it will be the time to have a thorough look into ascent system procedures for Helium failure

The training scenarios is a nice addition. It looks really like a true Sim.
GinGin

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Thank you :)
Will give the training scenarios a try - maybe start with easy for now!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby eatdirt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 am

Very nice, seems to work fine!
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Now also the difficult training scenarios should work. In my last test, I ended up surviving a Contingency Green abort, so they're not for the faint of heart 8)
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:58 am

Indeed :)
Seems to be an interesting tool
GinGin

Postby Vinny002 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi, guys! Question for you, is the new version of the FG space shuttle is out yet? Thanks!!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby Gomendio » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:36 am

Nice addendum thorsten;-) Very nice indeed. I'll give it try to sweat a bit into new launch scenarios.
Nice way to lose weight after the excess of food intake at xmas.. :lol:

I'm correct in assuming that you are testing the new Dev version in the 2018.3.3 thorsten?
The 2019.1.X is out of the question as far as the testing is concern am I right?

happy xmas to all;- :wink:
Gomendio

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:19 pm

For what it's worth I flew the Shuttle yesterday on 2019.2 and observed no further problems - not to say they are fixed, but they may be reduced or else I just got lucky that session (if it is indeed memory corruption erors) - had an electrical failure which had to be dealt with - caused a RTLS at 3:40. Stack temperature got up to 400 before I noticed and shut it down - is this going to cause any further damage? The cue cards were very helpful but on a touchpad it's somewhat difficult to use the scroll method to flip through them. Otherwise all looks good :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby GinGin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Vinny002 wrote in Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:37 pm:Hi, guys! Question for you, is the new version of the FG space shuttle is out yet? Thanks!!

Cheers,
Vincent

Yes,have a look there for the new stable version

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=36618

The things being discussed on development thread ( like helium failure and failure trainer here) are usually for the dev version
GinGin

Postby Vinny002 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Another question for you, is this new version of space shuttle is compatible with FG 2019.x? Thanks!!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby Vinny002 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:43 pm

How do I get the new version of FG space shuttle from the FG launcher? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby GinGin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:17 am

GinGin

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight