Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Landing on the moon.  Topic is solved

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Landing on the moon.

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Can't blame you Thorsten!!! That must be at least 2 years of your life dedicated to the Space Shuttle project that you'll never see again! Can see why you really don't want to be at the front of the programmers queue on this! I think some people just like to make these requests either because they have no idea on the programming involved or they are programmers and just hope some other mug will do it for them! That aside, Keep up all the hard work, you and your team in making such a fantastic flight simulator and may I take this opportunity to Thank you all for your dedication on the project!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:19 pm

We don't blame anything to anyone, just wondering how to land on the Moon, maybe possible on FG someday as Thorsten says despite this was from the beginning a "terrestial" flight simulator,today we're pushing the limits, tomorrow we'll be there , if someone takes interest on something a best practice is to share ideas and thoughts. The work on the Shuttle, Vostok, planes, scenery, coding, maintenance, and whole FG work is merit of their respective individual contributors that enrich collectively.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:21 pm

No offense mean't to anyone! Catalanoic
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby PavlinS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Clive2670 wrote in Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:37 pm:Can't blame you Thorsten!!! That must be at least 2 years of your life dedicated to the Space Shuttle project that you'll never see again! Can see why you really don't want to be at the front of the programmers queue on this! I think some people just like to make these requests either because they have no idea on the programming involved or they are programmers and just hope some other mug will do it for them! That aside, Keep up all the hard work, you and your team in making such a fantastic flight simulator and may I take this opportunity to Thank you all for your dedication on the project!

Okay, obviasly this topic is closed.
I was just wonder. Nothing else. I do not understand what you mean by " blame" in this topic. I am hurt from your words for that I create a crazy reqwests. I do not understand programming, but may I ask you do you understand music theory? Of course you aren't. So please take those words back.
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I do not understand what you mean by " blame" in this topic.

@PavlinS
I think this is not translating correctly, don't be offended, there was no offense committed or intended. All is peaceful in the FG space fairing community.

I think the main point is the amount of work involved to take something to a place it was never intended to go. There are not many developer/programmers willing to invest a lot of time in a major hack!

Of course there are always exceptions, the Shuttle being one of them.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby abassign » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Keep calm guys!

Can we point to the Apollo 10 mission that is done completely in Earth orbit.
Then, in the future, someone will put his hand to the engine and insert the Moon. Meanwhile, the Apollo module, the Saturn 5 (and 1B) and the LEM are at an advanced production stage.

I think that good things require a bit of patience and organization.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby bugman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:04 pm

The elements reqired for simulating a moon landing have been discussed on the forum before. Note, although quite doable, this is a massive task! If 'scene graph' or 'ephemeris' are new words for you, then you'll have a long way to travel before reaching the moon in FlightGear ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 am

Can we point to the Apollo 10 mission that is done completely in Earth orbit.

You can point, but there still seems no one to code it - and that's the roadblock.
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:52 pm

I wonder what became of Fritz's project: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30076

Well, it seems like a whole lot of work, but maybe it will become "reality" in FG some day. If enough people find the time, will and energy to pull this off...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 am

there are tons of hard-coded assumptions in fgfs that will make this quite a bit of work - as a matter of fact, it would be easier to modify one of the OSG examples to come up with a basic space flight simulation from scratch - it will literally take years before you will begin to benfit from existing FG functionality (think weather/environment etc) - it really is akin to someone trying to turn a car with a combustion engine into an electric car - at some point it simply makes sense to start afresh, otherwise you are dealing with tons of architectural issues - even in the flight simulation department (which is what fgfs is all about), FlightGear is suffering "code rot" in plenty of places that are no longer maintained these days (and often poorly understood by the remaining few folks involved in core developments, as can be regularly seen in comments made on the devel list or forum)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Zequinha » Tue May 02, 2017 10:24 am

There is always Celestia (https://celestiaproject.net/) for this type of adventure!
Zequinha

Postby TheEagle » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:27 pm

How about modelling the moon in Blender, somehow getting an image of the whole surface of the moon (which I'm sure is available somehwere), using that image as a texture for the 3D model moon, and then placing that moon object in the scenery like any other scenery object, but at an altitude of 1261154855 feet ? ;)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:32 am

and then placing that moon object in the scenery like any other scenery object

How about it? You can't fly to it and you can't land on it unless

a) it feels Earth's gravity and orbits in Earth gravity as would a spacecraft
b) it has gravity of its own
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:59 pm

and then placing that moon object in the scenery like any other scenery object

As Thorsten said, there is no gravity modelled yet, and certainly for a while.

But, if you use the development branch of flightgear, "next", you can fly to it with the UFO. To ease the implementation of parallax effects, this is what we have done, putting it at the right place!

NB: and its distance changes while orbiting the Earth, as well as its apparent diameter. We have that as well :)
eatdirt

Previous

Return to Spaceflight