Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Landing on the moon.  Topic is solved

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Landing on the moon.

Postby PavlinS » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:09 pm

This aircraft is really awesome. May I ask someone has an interest to develope the Apollo 13 ship? It will be interesting to try a landing on the moon in FG.................
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm

It's three days to the moon - even in 8x time fast forward (fastest I've ever achieved with the Shuttle) that's a long time in front of the computer...
Thorsten

Postby abassign » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 pm

The Apollo missions were very different, for example, Apollo 7 was only an orbital flight, while Apollo 9 was always an orbital flight with a series of maneuvers for the LEM test. Apollo 8 (mission made for testing of the modules, but lacking the LEM not yet completed) has only tested the lunar orbit insertion (10 orbits) restarting the engine and return to Earth. The other missions rather have tested and used the LEM completely.

The Space Shuttle has shown that can place various "scenarios" which manage very different parts of the flight.
Using this technique it is possible to reproduce parts of the flight also based on real telemetry data.

The Apollo technology is not very different from that of the space shuttle, of course, were different computers because Apollo was operating with a direct link system with the control center and with the help of a computer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer (Apollo Guidance Computer) which we have emulators based on the programs that have been effectively used.

Here there is an example of a python version: https://github.com/cashelcomputers/basaGC

For the Saturn V there is another guidance computer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Launch_Vehicle_Digital_Computer

And in 2019 (two years) 50 years have passed from the first moon landing!

What better opportunity to have a Saturn IB with Apollo capsule (Apollo 7)? Or a Saturn V on top of an Apollo capsule and LEM.

They might start with Apollo 7, which only used the Apollo capsule + emergency eject system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_7

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby PavlinS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:17 am

Thorsten wrote in Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm:It's three days to the moon - even in 8x time fast forward (fastest I've ever achieved with the Shuttle) that's a long time in front of the computer...

For me is not a big deal. I can do it / not sleep 3 days I meant/.
PavlinS

Re: Landing on the moon.

Postby bugman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:33 pm

The biggest problem is that there is no infrastructure in FG for this. Try reaching the moon in the UFO, for example. The moon is just a picture that you can never reach. You would need a fundamental redesign of the FlightGear core, as the Earth-centric assumptions built into everything would need to be smashed and rebuilt. This is not as simple as building a spacecraft model. I cannot overemphasize enough how much low-level work this would require!

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby PavlinS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you for this reply. What about creating a scenery of this place? I think with a lot of reading I can do it.............
PavlinS

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:59 pm

What do you mean about creating scenery of this place? You need to modify or create a new system to manage celestial objects without quitting Earth-based scenery and tiles. Take into account the Moon isn't a static point, all is moving, Earth, Moon, ISS, etc, and really fast.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby PavlinS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:26 pm

I mean to create the moon. With knowledge about its areas. In WED. Or another program. Or creating in as un aircraft. People, you succeseed to manage hole Earth with all of it's custom areas , why this will be difficult. We are talking about creation it not for flying on other mission than Apollo 13, only. Because I think it's possible to create it, We already has the lounge airport, Need to create the other planet, need to create the aircraft, is not necessarry to do the flight 3 days, let increase the time and all set!
PavlinS

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:32 pm

why this will be difficult.

You do it then if it's that easy.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:34 pm

What about Orbiter? They seems to have that kind of staff?
PavlinS

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:51 pm

FG isn't Orbiter. You can learn from it and adapt it here, or learn how to do it from scratch. I don't think you can model the Moon with WED but of course you can do a ficticious and smaller one using some textures.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby PavlinS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:52 pm

PavlinS

Postby PavlinS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Okay. Let see.......................
PavlinS

Postby MIG29pilot » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Just fly halfway there, turn around, make the picture of the moon a picture of earth and reload all the earth scenery as moon scenery.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:28 pm

What about Orbiter?

What about it? It was designed as a space sim from up-front and plenty of people invested plenty of manpower to get there. Whereas FG was designed as a flight simulator and has plenty of deep-rooted assumptions about coordinates for that reason.

Obviously it's possible to do that also in FG once you're ready to invest similar manpower (expect a few man-years of coding). The issue is not that it can't be coded, the issue is that there is no one to code it.

(For reference, the Shuttle is a work of several thousand hours - if anyone hopes I'll be keen on going down that road again with another spaceship once I see screenshots from Orbiter, that hope is in vain.)
Thorsten

Next

Return to Spaceflight