Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Vostok-1

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Vostok-1

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Since Vitos has confirmed a few times that he has no interest in maintaining the craft on FGAddon he has created, and since no one else has stepped up, I have done some necessary (and some desirable) maintenance work for Vostok-1.

* fixed one bug preventing engine ignition on the pad
* fixed another bug leading to an integrator windup and loss of control just after liftoff
(these must have been caused by FG/JSBSim changes in recent times)
* added thruster flame effects to all main engines and the orbital maneuvering thrusters, including plume widening in vacuum
* de-activated the originally forseen JSBSim support calculations for the thruster exhausts
* removed legacy features (altitude limit to 150 km, 'fake' Earth visible in vzor)
(original artwork and code is still on the repository, just commented out)

Our Russian spacecraft flies now rather well into orbit, and due to the different staging concept, the launch dynamics is very different from the Shuttle, so it's interesting to compare.

Pitching down after coming out of the atmosphere, first stage boosters and second stage burning:

Only second stage left, protective cover blown off:

Third stage ignition, slow crawl to orbital speed:

The TDU in orbit:

Detail view of the TDU - Vitos has put an insane level of detail in here, dependent on what your graphics card can do, that may be good or bad:

Support module dropped, ready to enter the atmosphere (no piloting from this point, you're just along for the ride and may expect a crushing g-load):

If anyone wants to delve into details (like refine the color of thruster exhausts, fix some quirks in the thruster control,... ) please feel free to get in touch, I don't think I'll have the time to do it, and I suppose most of the documentation would also be in Russian...)
Thorsten

Re: Vostok-1

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Pretty cool.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Wed May 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Cool!

Is it just the particular lighting or do the first stage rockets and assemblies look kind of washed out? It looks odd to me. The satellite itself looks vivid and really nice.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby bugman » Wed May 11, 2016 5:46 pm

This is quite cool. I noticed a few of these problems when fixing the stereo sounds. The new flame effect looks good. As for the appearance, could it be that there are simply no textures?

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Hooray » Wed May 11, 2016 5:50 pm

indeed, very cool - and a totally crazy level of detail; we really need more 3D modelers with OCD :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 11, 2016 6:14 pm

As for the appearance, could it be that there are simply no textures?

It's how Vitos does his models - no or very low-contrast textures, and all the details come from the mesh. In addition, the lighting is very soft for space, because unlike for the Shuttle, this isn't rendered with a dedicated space effect (yet?). This contributes to the low overall contrast.

The better TDU appearance comes from many different parts, all in different colors.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Wed May 11, 2016 6:27 pm

The lighting is also a problem on the ground. And the Vostok text (~BOCTOK) is missing from the textures:

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Ah... good catch. There's a very odd ambient material used in the 3d model.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:24 pm

now that you've done the SRBs on the shuttle, doing the first stage separation and creating the Star of Korolev should be pretty easy to do... that's always been a beautiful sight to see...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu May 12, 2016 5:33 am

now that you've done the SRBs on the shuttle, doing the first stage separation and creating the Star of Korolev should be pretty easy to do..

If only... I spent more than a week working out the geometry and forces for the Shuttle, and it's pretty much at the limit of the submodel code - I believe Vostok separates the 1st stage at higher altitude and velocity - so there's no reason this should even work by the same means.

Animating stage separation properly is lots of fiddling around...
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Thu May 12, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks Thorsten, it looks much better after the r1813 fix!

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Return to Spaceflight