Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

NASA Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

NASA Space Shuttle

Postby pauljs75 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:49 am

Here's a mesh I'm working on to go with the FDM. Still needs work though, and might need some idea of how to go about doing the landing gear.

pauljs75

Postby simstick » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:51 pm

How is the progress on this? I found that you can not fly above 65,000 feet but you can start the flight higher and come down. Will make for a nice rentry and landing sim for it with the height and location info for reentry.
simstick

Callsign: simstick IVA010

Postby pauljs75 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Hmmm... :? I'm just doing the 3D mesh modeling, but the guy doing the flight model part of it might have answers if he stops by.
pauljs75

Re: NASA Space Shuttle

Postby jonsberndt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:51 am

pauljs75 wrote:Here's a mesh I'm working on to go with the FDM. Still needs work though, and might need some idea of how to go about doing the landing gear.

You might want to check here to give you a start on the mesh:

http://www.hal-pc.org/~jsb/shuttlepov.html

This is a NASA model from some years ago.

There is a JSBSim shuttle model which I began working on some years ago. It hasn't been touched in a while. I could probably improve that a bit, which would be a good start. There's no reason why it shouldn't work up to a very high altitude, as well, since the JSBSim atmosphere model should be able to handle higher altitudes. A big challenge for the shuttle model would be the scheduled profiles of the body flap and split rudder, and the rest of the flight control system. Also, the real aero data for the shuttle is in two volumes with a total thickness of about 10 inches! :-)

Jon
Jon S. Berndt
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
http://www.JSBSim.org
http://www.facebook.com/jsbsim
jonsberndt

Postby simstick » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:39 am

After doing my high altitude drops I became interested in low space in FG. I suspect that it is a whole section that would have to be written to model some space in FG but a space station and shuttle would be nice.
simstick

Postby Ampere » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:02 am

jonsberndt wrote:Also, the real aero data for the shuttle is in two volumes with a total thickness of about 10 inches! :-)

Jon

Are those data even available? :lol:
Ampere

Postby simstick » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 pm

Ampere wrote:
jonsberndt wrote:Also, the real aero data for the shuttle is in two volumes with a total thickness of about 10 inches! :-)

Jon

Are those data even available? :lol:

Here is a quick Nasa search, I'm too tired to read and narrow it down right now but you could spend all day at the NASA site reading technical info,
http://tinyurl.com/yutrvg

On a related note, how high can you fly in FlightGear? I took the X15 rocket up and maxed out at 65,000 feet. On the other hand I have taken the Harrier and used the thrusters to control a drop and started at 500,000 feet and did the same with the X15.
simstick

Postby AndersG » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:08 pm

simstick wrote:On a related note, how high can you fly in FlightGear? I took the X15 rocket up and maxed out at 65,000 feet. On the other hand I have taken the Harrier and used the thrusters to control a drop and started at 500,000 feet and did the same with the X15.

I have not tried this, but I was under the impression that it was the pressure altimeter that fell out at 65,000 feet and that an appropriate aircraft could climb higher. Since our coordinate system contains the entire planet I think that one might be able to enter orbit. I do suspect that the tile cache would freak out before that, though ;)

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby simstick » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:18 am

AndersG wrote:
simstick wrote:On a related note, how high can you fly in FlightGear?

I have not tried this, but I was under the impression that it was the pressure altimeter that fell out at 65,000 feet and that an appropriate aircraft could climb higher. Since our coordinate system contains the entire planet I think that one might be able to enter orbit. I do suspect that the tile cache would freak out before that, though ;)

Cheers,

Anders

Will have to try again but I was having trouble with the X15. Seems it runs out of fuel maybe.
simstick

Postby fatty » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:07 am

I do suspect that the tile cache would freak out before that, though
Yeah, if you make the visibility high enough so that you can actually see the earth it has some issues. I wonder if it's possible to use lower-resolution textures at high altitudes and somehow "merge" the tiles together. A question for the developers I guess.
fatty

Postby Iceman » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:57 pm

Hey i was just woundering if there is a flyable Nasa Space Shuttle Available for flightgear. thanks
Check out my old Flightpage: http://www.freewebs.com/icemansflightpage/
Callsign: Iceman and Sky-eye
What I fly mostly: seneca ll, pc-7,Pa24-250, E-3b,MB339,F-1a, Everything in between
Iceman

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:46 am

HI GUYS...i took the ufo and went out of the earth....it appears as a grey ball...we can see the sun....i did this in 0.9.10 ...never tried in v1.0.0
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby pauljs75 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:20 am

Finally got around to UV-mapping the thing. I think it'll look neat with a proper paint job. Here's the current template for the exterior, in case anyone want's to start doing livery related stuff.

Should be uploading the mesh to ShareCG as a .obj soon. Just gotta put the ReadMe files and all that jazz together.

-----Edit-----
I didn't waste too much time in writing up the readme.txt and uploading. So now the base .obj mesh should be available for further work. Downloadable here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/28809/3d-model/pauljs75_NasaShuttle
pauljs75

Postby Gijs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:20 pm

pauljs75 wrote:Finally got around to UV-mapping the thing. I think it'll look neat with a proper paint job. Here's the current template for the exterior, in case anyone want's to start doing livery related stuff.

Great! I was working on a shuttle some time ago as you might know. I do have textures which we could use...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby pauljs75 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:34 pm

I just started some work on texturing it also. There's a new post in the texturing thread in regards to that aspect of the model.

Now I'm curious as to how long it'll be until someone picks it up from where I left off. :mrgreen: There's still a lot of work to be done.
pauljs75

Next

Return to Spaceflight