Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

[WIP] Space Shuttle Carier Aircraft - SCA - Help Wanted

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

[WIP] Space Shuttle Carier Aircraft - SCA - Help Wanted

Postby japreja » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks to "Martien van der P." we have an SCA for the SpaceShuttle. I am no good at texturing but I have added a tail cone to the Shuttle. I will be adding some smoothing to the shuttle mesh. I will most likely put this on SF.net but would like to figure out a bit more about git.

In the mean time, here is some eye candy.

EDIT 2015-07-05: Started a project on sf.net it will be http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgspaceshuttlescadev/?source=directory - japreja

EDIT 2019-07-11: Fixed Broken Image Links
Last edited by japreja on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
japreja

Re: [WIP] Space Shuttle Carier Aircraft - SCA - Help Wanted

Postby japreja » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Just added the project to SF.net and edited the main topic post. I will be uploading the files as origionaly sent to me to the master branch. I will be making a development branch after I figure out and upload using git...
japreja

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi Jorge
Thanks for working in this one
Is it GPL?
Is it based on this one: https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/shuttle-carrier?

Best,
Israel
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Martien van der P. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:47 pm

I didn't know of the existence of that aircraft IH-COL, I based it on the 747-100 from FGBR. But I didn't had enough time for the project and i sent it to japreja.
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:51 pm

yes. I belive the FGBR carrier developed from this older one... which were both GPL (AFAIK)...
So I am guessing it is just a progress of the same.
Thus I am going to rebase Jorge's project over this one. No need to keep an older aircraft anymore... :D

Thanks
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Good.
It worked like a charm

Now I am hooked downstream Jorge's work

Israel

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/747-123-SCA

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/747-123-SCA/commits/master
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm

BTW Jorge
If you don't mind reconstructing your git history with the one that acknowledges the previous commits (by tompao), then I can just fast forward.. which is neater that merging from your work
Best,
IH-cOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Martien van der P. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:01 pm

IH-COL, There is a typos in the filename it has to be 747-123-SCA. :roll:
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks MV-DP. How about now?
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby japreja » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:39 pm

@IAHM-COL
It does look like it was derived from that github source you posted. I now need to figure out how to create a development branch on sf.net to remove files that will never be used, like the SRB, ET, etc... along with any un-needed textures and files. It will help get the master size down. The shuttle itself will have a ton of vertices deleted and the bay doors will eventualy be merged to the main mesh.

BTW, feel free to use my "removeBlenderBackups.bat" in any project, on or off of FG. It will dive into subdirs and remove all blender backup files. Also for the website I am prepairing to use with the "Catalog Feature" in FG but I have to figure out the catalog settings.
japreja

Postby japreja » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm:BTW Jorge
If you don't mind reconstructing your git history with the one that acknowledges the previous commits (by tompao), then I can just fast forward.. which is neater that merging from your work
Best,
IH-cOL

I have no idea how to do what you ask, I've only been using git for a month specificaly for flightgear to get updates to code and aircraft, I don't like it 1 bit and would rather use SVN or upload manualy. Every time I try to do something with git I get errors I have no clue about so I just mess with it till it works :? and truthfully I may even delete git from the SF.net project and just upload a zip file. Git takes more time then the edits so I don't realy see why anyone in their right mind would ever want to use it except to satisfy a user who just wants to download with it :P
japreja

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 pm

What are you talking about?! In ten seconds * I can update my planes! In 30 I can commit! In one minute I can do lots in git!

*: not counting clone/download time...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby japreja » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:40 am

I just read a bit deaper into the xml and a majority of the cockpit controls are by Dave Culp so this craft is not GPL. It is Creative Commons. I'll update the license on Sourceforge.net momentarily.

EDIT: I'll not be doing anything with this aircraft, If someone wants to take it over feel free to contact me by PM.
japreja

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Not sure what the status of this ultimately is...

Anyway - I'm currently learning how to transmit the connector forces to the Shuttle FDM (the screenshot shows my first successful attempt to drag the Shuttle through the air following a carrier aircraft flightpath via external forces).

I'm hoping to get this stable enough such that it will tolerate MP lag (it's fairly sophisticated - since there's three connectors, also attitude information is transmitted via the forces, JSBSim interpolates automatically between 'true' position updates,...) - such that in can eventually be done by one pilot flying the SCA, the other the Shuttle, but for the moment I'd be interested in a definitely GPL compatible exterior model of the aircraft.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 pm

I just took a long look at what is out there and what shape they are in. The one in question here doesn't have much better progress on it than the standard 747-100 in fgaddon (other than the FDM works, ha). If someone could clean up the FDM in the standard one, I can add the extra modeling requirements or If someone can fix the shuttle-carrier FDM in fgaddon then I could start working on it instead as it has some of the needed hardware on it. Either way we have everything we need to make a working SCA, I just need an FDM person to make either one fly. I can touch up the rest.

A third option I suppose is to ask Dave for a special GPL release for FG.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Next

Return to Spaceflight