Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby wlbragg » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:45 pm

:D

Can't wait, what a great addition to FG!

Thanks to everyone who has had a hand in making this happen.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:25 pm:

Doesn't she orbit upside done and flip over for burn and reentry?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:12 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:56 pm:Doesn't she orbit upside done and flip over for burn and reentry?

the answer is that it depends on the mission task at that point in the orbit... eg: they have to be belly to earth to launch a satellite going to geosynchronous orbit...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Doesn't she orbit upside done and flip over for burn and reentry?

I have a good hundred photos of orbiters in almost all possible orientations - doesn't seem there is a default. Anyway, you have to actively steer orientation, as various effects would make it drift over time.

Some testing under my Windows setup (where I have hires textures for the planet):

Orbiter 2010:

FG:

Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:07 am

For the adventurous, grab a first download (launch and orbital maneuvering) in the first post.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 pm

is this craft only for fgfs 3.5 or will it also work with older versions? ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Can you hear the applause? :D
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:21 pm

is this craft only for fgfs 3.5 or will it also work with older versions?

It does work on 3.3, I have no older version installed so I don't know. Depends on how much JSBSim has changed I guess.
Thorsten

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:10 pm

Thorsten,
Is it GPL?
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:28 pm

If you're really asking for the license, as it's based on GPL stuff (lots of things from Vitos' Vostok, some leftovers from the FG Space Program thing, Jon's attempt...) it has to be GPL. If you're asking whether you can put it onto a repo, I can't prevent you from doing it, but there's a reason I have not done it, and it's not lack of commit rights. What ends up on a repo should basically work for a number of use cases and be somewhat tested whereas this is not yet at this stage and I don't want to deal with 'X didn't work' reports at this point, I'm well aware of what doesn't work.
Thorsten

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:36 pm

ok
So I get that it is GPL.
I will mount it in FGMEMBERs so our FGDATA next users can fetch, and enjoy.
I Will leave a note there that you are not currently willing to receive issues and reports, so they won't be bothering you.

Thanks
IHCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:40 pm

About Guarantees.
Yes. You leave a good point there.
I guess some may, others may not know that all aircraft hosted in FGMEMBERs, are without any expressed guarantee that they work fine or at all in any system, or FG install.

People is encouraged to try, modify, improve, enjoy, submit issues and improvements alltoghether, but one difference of ours vs the official branch is that the official branch has, I heard, guarantees of some sort.

;)
So, not a worry for our side.

Best,
IHCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Buckaroo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:06 am

Perhaps I misunderstand, but Thorsten's remarks appear to indicate that he believes the work is not yet ready to be shared in a public repository. Since Thorsten has not yet placed his effort in the SourceForge/SVN repository, it seems rather forward for another person to place it in a repository without his clear blessing. I believe a little patience would have done more to honor his efforts.

-Buck
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Version: 2.10

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:59 am

Mm? I though he said he can't prevent me. Which I understood as he was not trying to prevent it either.

I do not make anything unpublic or unreleased gone public. And all I've taken is his pre release which he publicized today.

He also asked for no creation of issues and I won't. Plus left a note of his unwillingness of seing issues on this craft.

And he acknowledge the pre release to be gpld so I did not see too forward to redistribute with the same copy left.

Am I misunderstanding something here?
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Thorsten » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 am

Mm? I though he said he can't prevent me. Which I understood as he was not trying to prevent it either.

There's undoubtedly a difference between what one can legally do and what one should do.

I can (both technically and legally) insert any changes into any aircraft I fancy in FGAddon and am under no legal obligation to hear what the aircraft maintainer has to say on the matter. Yet in practice, we very much honor the wishes and plans of the maintainers. I remember you defending the 'rights' of the maintainer in a very outspoken way:

Regardless of the fact that you have written permission into that global repository, you should not consider that you are OK by writing modifications in any/every of those aircrafts. (...) Therefore, writing into any of the subversion aircrafts is a decision you should not be taking too lightly. (...) But hardly will be accepting of you saying that you are a gatekeeper of his property.

(Perhaps too much for my taste - I see things on the repository not as property, but as responsibility - and unlike a property which you generally keep even if you use it unwisely, a responsibility needs to be exercised wisely or it should be taken away).

Yet, quite as Buckaroo observed quite correctly, you felt entirely free to do with my responsibility (property in your language?) as you please, going against my clearly stated intention of releasing something for the limited group of people primarily looking and writing in this thread only at this point.

You are quite within the letter of the GPL license - so you may do whatever you please - but don't ever again lecture anyone else from the moral high ground how your repository respects aircraft maintainers, because we just have established that it really does not care.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight