Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby wlbragg » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Richard wrote in Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:41 pm:so please do fix it if you can

OK, I think I have enough to proceed, I'll see what I can do.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:57 am

But you are trying to gain height in the profile, correct?

I don't understand why or how the compression of the strut is at issue, I don't think I did anything to the strut other than animate it. Unless the animation itself is at issue, as in its range of motion? I never did anything to bogey or contact settings that would change compression.

So I am unsure how to proceed?

The contact points determine how the outline of the Shuttle looks like when it's on the ground. Right now that looks correct to me - I think I adjusted that to match the photograph and nobody changed it since.

That would seem to imply that if you increase the wheel size, that increase will visually sink into the ground - which is bad.

To restore proper visuals, you could either re-adjust the contact point (and lift the wheel that way) or compress the strut (which also lifts the wheel). Since I believe the contact point is correct, I would suggest to change strut compression to do the job. That's really all :-)
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:34 am

Thorsten wrote in Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:29 am:For those who don't know yet - the Shuttle will be demonstrated at FSWeekend in November. I'd like to flight-test about a week in advance and possible work on the sound (need to do this under Windows) - say beginning of November- and by then having all the oddities worked out would be nice.

Given how past FSWeekends turned out according to people who were there, you may want to consider recording the relevant portions of "space shuttle flight" using the flight recorder to ensure that you have a "fallback" option in case something goes wrong, so that you can at least show-case stuff by resorting to pre-recorded flight data (or even captured videos).

If I remember correctly, both Durk and Gijs mentioned previously that they had to adjust their plans and adapt to "external factors" due to some unforeseeable events/restrictions at FSWeekend.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:27 am

I'm not really sure what you refer to. I'm tempted to say that if I don't manage to run a spacecraft I developed on my own computer while I am surrounded by several core developers, then I probably did something seriously wrong.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:59 am

If we're going to have inexperienced pilots trying to push through the atmosphere, I've decided we should at least offer decent failures. So here's the case where the ET goes (I'm sort of assuming this will eventually happen if you manage to rip a wing off, because I think debris will tear into the ET, and once it leaks... there's lots of flame further down).

ET goes in a bright explosion:

The SRB's continue to burn - they're thrown into random directions by the explosion force and will eventually impact somewhere on the ground (at least that's what they did when I tried):

The orbiter itself goes on a ballistic path upward and will also eventually crash. I believe in the case of Challenger, the pressure vessel even survived the ET explosion, though most of the orbiter fuselage was destroyed, so one could sort of keep the in-cockpit visuals, but render a heavily damaged model of the forward fuselage. Alas, my modeling skills are not sufficient.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:32 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:59 am:but render a heavily damaged model of the forward fuselage.

Sounds like a challenge :)
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Sounds like a challenge

Well? You said once you knew how to damage stuff...

Been thinking how to visualize thermal protection system failure... I guess breakup into a debris shower slowly separating would give the appropriate visuals...

Thorsten

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:19 pm

So now we can have Challeger and Columbia?
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Just for info - I've now put a copy to Win which I'll use for demonstration at FSWeekend - so no addition to the repo from this point on will be be shown (most likely...). I've started to fix some things there - liberal usage of <nopreview/> tags for FGRun (somehow I don't get cozy with the Qt5 launcher...) and fixes and improvements for the sound config.

Back at running Earthview with 16384x16384 procedurally enhanced texture sheets - looks quite fantastic, the sense of immersion seeing photorealistic Earth is striking.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:07 pm

@Richard: I've observed a problem with the flight path marker in the canvas HUD - it doesn't seem to point accurately... During ascent in the inverted phase, I've had a negative vertical speed, but saw the marker above the horizon (I have a screenshot of that if needed). Also, upon final, it basically led me a good bit ahead of the runway. Could you check? I assume this works for the F-15 and it's just some parameter that needs to be tweaked.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:47 pm

@Richard, in your copy of cockpit-ste5.blend, does the object "Fwd_PanelsY.001" have a texture applied to it?

I'm working on the z-fighting but I don't want to commit or save anything if my copy is missing any texture assignments. This appears to be the only object that has no texture assigned to it. It is purple in texture view.
wlbragg

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:18 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:47 pm:@Richard, in your copy of cockpit-ste5.blend, does the object "Fwd_PanelsY.001" have a texture applied to it?

Just checked and it doesn't. Almost certain this happened as a result of splitting out the various panels. In hindsight the x,y,z wasn't necessary as I ended up remapping each panel individually (the x,y,z was on the assumption I'd just be able to project each one of these from the appropriate view to a uv map, but that didn't work because of the angles).
Richard

Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:12 pm

OK thanks, I just finished attempting to get rid of the z-fighting at the top of the cockpit.
I was able to get rid of all of it but I didn't lower the very top part of the structure that is sticking through the fuselage. At least it is stable and doesn't look totally out of place. I can work on it next if you want me to. Here is the result, internal and external. I was unsure how it was going to effect the window portals, judge for yourself and let me know what you think. I can push this as a temporary new branch if you want to check it out before committing it to the development branch.
Left is the original, right is the new version. Pay close attention to window portals.
Open the image in a new window to get a better view.

I added a new branch fix-z-fighting to the repo if you want to take a closer look before I commit this to development.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks - that looks like progress.

Trying to do everything from cockpit view (I've made a special HUD mode supplementing the info from the yet missing PFD) I've traced and eliminated two canvas-HUD related bugs today.

* The view position wasn't actually centering the HUD -> keeping he runway centered in the HUD gives you actually a lateral offset onto the runway
* The flight path marker had the wrong scaling with actual flight path - pointing the flight path marker onto the runway actually crashes you into the ground

So if you had problems landing in cockpit view, this is probably why... ;-) Well, that and the fact that the view is lousy - can't see a thing during flare. Luckily the Shuttle lands on really generous runways.

Otherwise we have now sounds for several sorts of crashes, and proper attenuation of outside view sounds with atmosphere density. I don't have a sound for tailstrike or dragging a broken gear across the runway yet - if you have a good file, let me know.
Thorsten

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Are you married?
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight