Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:41 pm

yes,
FGDATA next submodules follows the development branch which is a carbon copy of the development branch in Thorsten git repository.
The master branch is a multiple merge. And follows not only FGAddon but other stuff too. it mainly focuses on Thorsten git repository master branch (as in merging with that as priority).

Since it is a complex situation, thus FGDATA next (with submodules) is and should follow the actual development fork of the aircraft. Thus, I can't understand why are you in master on the SpaceShuttle. If you do git submodule update --init it should be the correct branch instead.

Part of the confusion arises by how Thorsten treats the master branch in his repository. Which I definitely don't care deeply about as soon as I am followin' the proper branch -- and unless you are going to start developing a fork of the SpaceShuttle, you kinda should follow this way.

Feel free to ask for clarifications if needed.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Righto, I guess its time to checkout development. What precsely does master follow?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:56 pm

master does not "follow". It merges itself with FGAddon and with Thorsten master branch. Giving priority to the later.
But that branch falls far behind the former two.

It appears Thorsten master branch does not behave as a master branch, but more like an snapshot of a past stable. In that sense the merge follows that and it remains in the "past".

Yes, you are right, back to checkout development in the most sane approach.

But it is great if you detected inconsistencies in any of the branches, to fix'em up. And more importantly, if you are planning to begin a fork of your own on this project.

IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:13 pm

@LEGO

OK
this is how I strongly recommend you go back

1. Pull your FGDATA
Code: Select all
git pull

2. reinit/reupdate the submodule
git submodule init Aircraft/SpaceShuttle
git submodule update Aircraft/SpaceShuttle

3. test
cd Aircraft/SpaceShuttle
git log

The last commit is

commit 3ccc9490b0e343c4f171ca26da4a10b9c81d39ac
Author: Thorsten Renk <thorsten.i.renk@jyu.fi>
Date:   Fri Jul 24 17:32:58 2015 +0300

Release to re-latch payload to bay

If that is the answer you are in the proper branch for this aircraft.

Since several aircraft had been updated in the last days,

(back to fgdata repo root dir)
git submodule init . #get newer aircraft too (yes that's a dot . at the end of the command!)
git submodule update #clean my aircraft to the best last commit --it could be a branch other than master in selected cases!
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:39 pm

I already got to development vie git checkout development. I took a flight, got to near orbit till I started to spin out of control. I guess I am not a good pilot!
Started in orbit, but it stuck in Aerojet or RCS ENTRY DAP modes, meaning it pitched up. But hey, at least I managed to nearly orbit! Started an eva, couldn't get to the airlock again. So byebye :)
Good fun! But hard
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby japreja » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:55 am

@wlbragg
Here is an animation I found of TDRS satallite unfolding/opening, its the best I could find of the actual animation. It's from http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/movies/TDRSopen.mpg but that was a tad small :/

japreja

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:12 am

Thanks japreja, so far I've not found much. This will help.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:33 am

Whatever FGMembers does (we can discuss the sanity of this elsewhere):

* FGAddon currently contains a stable and flight-tested version of the Space Shuttle with matching documentation and checklists which will go into the 3.6 release and is expected to work with 3.6 - which means any bug report is potentially serious and contains something that has slipped through testing.

* fgspaceshuttledev is a private sandbox - it changes almost daily, the repository contains blender artwork which is used by the 3d developers, the state is not flight-tested (current work on some features may leave others broken without notice) and the documentation may or may not match reality - all I will say is that it probably loads correctly, but I'm not interested at all in bug reports for this version because it isn't tested at all and many things just resolve themselves as the features are hammered into shape.

So if you want to use the Shuttle, my recommendation is to stick to the FGAddon version which is least likely to surprise you with nastiness, if you want to develop for it use the development version, and don't use any strangely merged versions.

It would seem that FGMembers doesn't offer the stable option for normal users at all, but that's not my problem. All this just re-iterates the point that there's no proper version control outside the official repos, whatever has been claimed in the past.
Thorsten

Postby japreja » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:46 am

Here is a 1U Payload Pallet. This is courtesy of NASA, I just split it out of one of their models. I will need to dig into the documentation to get the appropriate sizes. But I have to wait a few days....

I might be on Hiatus for a few days, I need to backup my system before Windows 10 is pushed to my PC and this will take quite a bit of time. I have most things tar.xz'd up and headed for DVD so if there is something I am forgetting let me know hopefully by tommorow night. Either way I'll still be checking the forum here.
japreja

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:40 pm

I pushed some more rear landing gear animations. I discovered that the DragBrace.Lower is not rotating the direction I want. It is difficult at best to test even with disabling the retraction check (hard to see). But between testing in Blender and FG I think I am getting close.

@japreja, are we suppose to translate the Shock into the ShockHousing? I don't need to in order to make it fit in the wheel-well, but didn't know if it was suppose to or not.
wlbragg

Postby japreja » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:27 pm

The shocks shouldn't need to compress/extend unless they are landing or landing rough. I tried to see if there was any compression from actual video but it is hard to find. I think the Assembly docs stated a total travel of 8 inches, 3 inches down and 5 inches up for the actual travel of the shock. I modeled it as being at the static location allowing for that type of travel.

It might be on my onedrive but I dont recall if I uploaded it yet. If it's not there then It is zipped on one of my DVD's I'll dig out after my system is upgraded. :? Note: those files are quite large and have not been fixed yet :D
japreja

Postby japreja » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:30 am

I havent tested this yet but here is the concrete structure for the launch pads. I got measurements using Google Maps so I am not sure yet how large in sim this will actualy be. If its ok I will work on the flame deflectors which the dimentions are in the blend and not the .ac yet. 0,0,0 XYZ is in the center of the crawlerway at the very beginning of the 5% grade.

I don't have a properly scaled gantry to test with but will grab the one posted a few days ago and test it further on my end by monday... The top of the pad is Z = 16.1544 .
japreja

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:35 am

japreja wrote in Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:27 pm:It might be on my onedrive but I dont recall if I uploaded it yet.

Is this something that concerns me? I don't think I need anything, I just wanted to know if we are going to translate the shock.

Considering your reply and the fact that we are only extending the gear and not retracting them, it really serves no purpose to translate the shock. So I will finish the gear animations with that in mind.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:44 am

Whew. I think I got the manual augmented RMS drive modes sorted out - should make it *much* easier to grab a payload - all you have to know is where it is, and then you can steer the end effector directly there. The code is quite a mess of trigonometry, compensation vectors and transformations. It's one of the things where the user will never appreciate the details I guess.

I'll also be on holiday next week, so don't expect much development from my side and limited responses.
Thorsten

Postby Saga » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi and thanks for all your hard work!

I tested the FGAddon version and ~180k feets (while the message say that SRBs are burning), the nose of the Space Shuttle dive (at this moment I'm climbing at 70° head-down and I can't counteract this) and 3 secs later I get a rotation of 1000 deg/s, something like that.
What am I doing wrong?
Host and maintainer of fgcom.flightgear.org.
Saga

Callsign: F-G0z
Version: Git next

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight