Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby Thorsten » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:00 pm

The edit is most welcome, but I'm not the page author - GinGin is.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:44 pm

I think I nailed the red bug, at least, it works for me now of 2018.2.2. I can go even further now :mrgreen:

The pressure drops exactly to 0 above a certain altitude, and density was calculated using some formula using a temperature having itself some correction in 1/pressure. Just added a conditional to set density to 0 when pressure goes to 0.
Patch here: download patch

Edit:

patch updated because another condition leading to infinite density was the temperature going to 0K. The new patch takes care of the two.
Bug reported there: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/2087/
Cheers,
Chris.

PS: YYYYYYYIIIIIIIHAAAAAAAA-->

Last edited by eatdirt on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:56 pm

I am not familiar with devel in flightgear, to whom/forum should I send this patch?

Developers' mailing list.

PS: YYYYYYYIIIIIIIHAAAAAAAA-->

Actually, from that distance the cloud layer probably looks better if you disable the overlays for clouds - they tend to produce this unwanted ripple pattern in your shot.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks Thorsten, I was wondering what were these repetitive cloud patterns. Most beautiful without overlay indeed from 3000 miles:

Something weird occurred, I met again the 90 degrees offset in star tracking today, I actually wanted to check it was gone for good :(
I am gonna check twice with a snapshot to last devel, but just to be sure that I am testing the right thing. Replacing

~/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/SpaceShuttle

by the devel one is enough, right? I am assuming that the fix was in the Shuttle code only, but maybe I am wrong!?

cheers,
Chris.
Last edited by eatdirt on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatdirt

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 pm

Just to confirm the very slow refurnishing of the RCS tanks during a crossfeed OMS-RCS, while the RSC tank isolation valves are closed, and, following the procedure, the RCS and OMS tanks were never linked. It takes a few hours more or less before I notice, but here we go (digital gauge on RCS oxyd):

No fix required, this is really of no annoyance, but just in case someone bumps onto that "feature".
eatdirt

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:34 pm

Just a thought, maybe the temperature changes, so the propellant expands and the tank's quantity increases?

If you set thermal speed to accelerated does it increase faster?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:46 am

Thorsten, what is the darkmap for and how is it used. I am getting lots of specular lighting on the osm-kit with the bay doors closed and no bay light on. I don't get that on the rms and they both appear to be set up the same?

Also the shadow cast from the lightmaps is not very noticible yet you can see a good deal of shadow definition in the light map.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 am

Something weird occurred, I met again the 90 degrees offset in star tracking today,

In star tracking specifically, or in tracking generally (as we've learned the hard way, this is not necessarily the same)?

It takes a few hours more or less before I notice, but here we go (digital gauge on RCS oxyd):

It's *probably* in the end down to numerics - I suspect what happens is that engines as part of the FDM simulation run at FDM rate, but the crossfeed code as part of the systems simulation is clocked down to execute only in every 4th frame for performance reasons, so there can theoretically be a situation in which the engine stops consuming fuel (the engine simulation always takes it from the RCS tanks) but for three subsequent cycles (or 1/40 s) the crossfeed still delivers a compensating amount of fuel from the Kit.

If the DAP predominantly uses short bursts and this goes on for hours, it might eventually show.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:06 am

Thorsten, what is the darkmap for and how is it used. I am getting lots of specular lighting on the osm-kit with the bay doors closed and no bay light on. I don't get that on the rms and they both appear to be set up the same?

It's like a lightmap really except it's used to get rid of all diffuse light modulated by the lightmap alpha channel and the darkmap_factor (if you set darkmap_enabled to 1 - if you set it to 2, the same channel acts to modulate temperature in the glow map)

Code: Select all

if (darkmap_enabled == 1)
   {
   diffuse_reduction = mix(1.0,lightmapTexel.a, darkmap_factor);
      light_diffuse.rgb = light_diffuse.rgb * diffuse_reduction;
   }

I'm not sure why we don't kill the specular channel - maybe it was never required so far? But we ought to do that as well.

Also the shadow cast from the lightmaps is not very noticible yet you can see a good deal of shadow definition in the light map.

Last time I checked here, it seemed like a massive emission animation was still on, so there was virtually no shading.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:12 am

In star tracking specifically, or in tracking generally (as we've learned the hard way, this is not necessarily the same)?

I tested star tracking only, Betelgeuse. But I'll provide more info in the next days. For the time being, I've synced with the latest devel, done a resume, and the tracking is back to normal as expected. Need to wait 12 hours to see what's going on, if I see it is off on stars, I'll test a deorbit positioning as well, and wait 12 more hours to see how things go. Long mission in perspective, and good for training GPC reconfigurations :)
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Please do 'center of Earth' tracking as test case - that's the easiest conceptually.

(And in case you're *exactly* 90 degrees off - you did not by any chance change the body axis option - because that'll give you 90 degrees...And it'll be reset after a resume.)
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 pm

@Michat : Thanks for the correction :)

@Legoboyvdlp: Awsome new graphics for Florida, i got a weird thing for water that I didn't see on Thorsten's screen?

@EatDirt: Nice tests ;)
Cool to see that we are testing a wide panel of stuff here

@Thorsten: A couple of feedback concerning ATO/AOA and Leo targeting :)

Really cool and well optimized tool, lot of fun using it, and making it match some NASA FDF

AOA to NOR

First, some questions to have more insight of what is coded behind the option Item 35 Abort Target.
Like in the manual, I tried to select Item 35 + 3 to have a Deorbit Burn solution for a steep entry AOA, but I don't know which Airfield is taken into account.
Solution seems unusable

Leo tools now.
It works really nice, even better than the REI we can see in OPS3

LEO says 3200 Nm and OPS 3 REI is around 4200.

But After burn on the map, real REI is well around 3000 Nm, like predicted by LEO tools, very nice
Confirmed by distance at 400 kft

rest of entry nicely flown, loved it

Also, I wanted to print the manual in a book, do you plan any changes soon to the last version of the manual Thorsten before I send it to the printer? :)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 am

No idea about what is the problem there, sorry. Is it light blue water (sky blue)?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:40 am

I'm not sure why we don't kill the specular channel - maybe it was never required so far? But we ought to do that as well.

Yeah, I think so.

Last time I checked here, it seemed like a massive emission animation was still on, so there was virtually no shading.

I removed the material animation a couple commits ago, at least locally if not in the dev branch, so it's not that. It may be the amount of light being simulated by the bay light I'm using in Blender, even though I darkened the map up considerably.

modulated by the lightmap alpha channel

Hum, the lightmap being used on the RMS has nothing in the alpha channel where all the mesh is mapped, so I don't understand why it's making it dark. The top half of the 1024 by 512 texture is black and the bottom half is blank. The bottom half is where everything is mapped.
The darkmap appears to be working on the rms though and I don't understand how as the alpha channel is white or transparent (no alpha) where the mesh is mapped.

Texture...
Texture Mapping...
Lightmap...
Lightmap Mapping...

The OSM-KIT objects are totally saturated yet the lightmaps look correct.
I've tried it with a couple different light types.
Spot lights
Area Lights

I think after the latest rounds of lightmaps creation, the lightmaps are working OK. It's the darkmap and the overall specular that is the issue. Especially on the tanks.
The darkmap isn't working at all?

No bay lights...
All bay lights...
No aft bay lights...

ONS-KIT
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<PropertyList>
  <name>oms-kit</name>
  <inherits-from>Effects/space-combined</inherits-from>

<parameters>
   <lightmap-enabled type="int">1</lightmap-enabled>
   <lightmap-multi type="int">1</lightmap-multi>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="0"><use>/sim/systems/various/payload-bay-fwd-intensity</use></lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="0"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="1"><use>/sim/systems/various/payload-bay-mid-intensity</use></lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="1"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="2"><use>/sim/systems/various/payload-bay-aft-intensity</use></lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="2"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="3">0.0</lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="3"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <darkmap-enabled type="int">1</darkmap-enabled>
   <darkmap-factor type="float"><use>/sim/systems/various/pb-door-opening-fraction</use></darkmap-factor>
   <texture n="3">
      <image>Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Models/PayloadBay/OMS-KIT/oms_kit_lm.png</image>
      <type>2d</type>
      <filter>linear-mipmap-linear</filter>
      <wrap-s>clamp</wrap-s>
      <wrap-t>clamp</wrap-t>
      <internal-format>normalized</internal-format>
   </texture>
  </parameters>

</PropertyList>

RMS
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<PropertyList>
  <name>shuttle-rms</name>
  <inherits-from>Effects/space-combined</inherits-from>

<parameters>
   <lightmap-enabled type="int">1</lightmap-enabled>
   <lightmap-multi type="int">1</lightmap-multi>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="0"><use>/sim/systems/various/payload-bay-fwd-intensity</use></lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="0"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="1"><use>/sim/systems/various/payload-bay-mid-intensity</use></lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="1"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="2"><use>/sim/systems/various/payload-bay-aft-intensity</use></lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="2"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <lightmap-factor type="float" n="3">0.0</lightmap-factor>
   <lightmap-color type="vec3d" n="3"> 1.0 1.0 1.0 </lightmap-color>
   <darkmap-enabled type="int">1</darkmap-enabled>
   <darkmap-factor type="float"><use>/sim/systems/various/pb-door-opening-fraction</use></darkmap-factor>
   <texture n="3">
      <image>Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Models/PayloadBay/rms_lightmap.png</image>
      <type>2d</type>
      <filter>linear-mipmap-linear</filter>
      <wrap-s>clamp</wrap-s>
      <wrap-t>clamp</wrap-t>
      <internal-format>normalized</internal-format>
   </texture>
  </parameters>

</PropertyList>
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:50 am

I haven't looked in detail (busy with re-writing the trajectory dialog - for what GinGin and eatdirt are doing, the current version is inadequate for any targeting) but I get

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "osm-kit.png"

So that can potentially explain a fair share of problems here (?)
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight