Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:20 pm

If you are just get your wife to scream loudly, and that should do for the broken gear sound. :lol: :D :wink: :cool:
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:25 pm

This project is looking good :D
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby Richard » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:07 pm:@Richard: I've observed a problem with the flight path marker in the canvas HUD - it doesn't seem to point accurately... During ascent in the inverted phase, I've had a negative vertical speed, but saw the marker above the horizon (I have a screenshot of that if needed). Also, upon final, it basically led me a good bit ahead of the runway. Could you check? I assume this works for the F-15 and it's just some parameter that needs to be tweaked.

The marker is simply alpha / beta - it's not a projection of trajectory; possibly it should be but I'd have to check, and it'd take a bit of trig to work this out.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:38 am

Okay, I've pushed all the additional work done for FSWeekend, and since that's a quite well flight-tested version for all mission stages I've tagged this as milestone-4. If anyone with a decent internet connection could grab it and push it to FGAddon, that'd be nice - otherwise I may get around to it eventually.

The marker is simply alpha / beta - it's not a projection of trajectory;

That's fine - the problem is that it had the wrong scaling factors in the display stage - and the view wasn't precisely centered to look through the HUD properly :-)
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:16 pm

I noticed because I branched it that the cockpit z-fighting is not included in the milestone. Do you want me to merge that into master so you can include it?
I did it as a branch so you or Richard could approve of the changes before putting it into master.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:14 pm

You did the z-fighting after I 'branched' the FSWeekend milestone - which is why it isn't included. The point of milestones is that I have something that's flight tested for all mission phases and hasn't some subtle breakage in - since flight-testing is a few hours worth of work, that's modestly important.

If Richard doesn't object, maybe just merge the z-fighting branch into development and we just take it from there to the next milestone.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:39 pm

You did the z-fighting after I 'branched' the FSWeekend milestone

OK, I didn't realize that.

I'll wait till Richard signs off on it. There is a lot to be done on that part of the model, as Richard is aware of, and I don't want to introduce anything into cockpit.ac that is not wanted, or to make it worse or harder to fix in the end.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:57 am

@Thorsten

the pressure vessel even survived the ET explosion, though most of the orbiter fuselage was destroyed, so one could sort of keep the in-cockpit visuals, but render a heavily damaged model of the forward fuselage.

I found the orbiter_destroy func in failures.nas file but couldn't find any of the animations other that ET_explosion_blast.xml and ET_fireball.xml
Where are you removing the shuttle and cockpit and what property are you using to trigger the sequence?

I have the start of the destroyed crew compartment model.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:56 am

Since I don't have a model of a damaged shuttle, I currently don't remove anything and just keep the orbiter model - I merely wrote of what one could do in the paragraph you quote :-)

I guess for switching to a damaged visual, one would introduce a new property to toggle just to be more flexible and flick this from e.g. orbiter_destroy().
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:32 pm

How do you want me to submit this, in development as usual or a new branch?

I have it tied to a new prop /fdm/jsbsim/systems/failures/shuttle-destroyed triggered by orbiter_destroy().

I will might add some better damage texture to it.

Internal view not destroyed

Internal view destroyed

I figured you might like to add the tumble or falling logic, or maybe you just let it fall as it will.

EDIT:
I posted this right after I got the basic logic input and had to leave. I just now got to actually try a launch and explosion, not on purpose by the way. It looks like the flight recorder is not configured for the SRB's and external tank nor the switch I created.
There is also the aero flight control that needs to be nulled on explosion as the cockpit was still somewhat controllable even without the orbiters flight surfaces being visual behaves as if the orbiter still has all of its mass and surfaces. The wing tip vortex and OMS venting also need to be turned off on explosion. Still a bit to do to get this in place and looking right.

Right now, there are only 3 damage objects that are part of the select animation for the damaged crew compartment configuration, however the select animation for non-damaged configuration is fairly extensive.

This is basically it so far.
Code: Select all
<!-- cockpit damage-->
<model>
    <path>Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Models/cockpit-damage.xml</path>
</model>

<!-- cockpit no damage -->
 <animation>
    <type>select</type>
    <object-name>Fwd_Window_Assy</object-name>
    <object-name>Roof_Assembly.001</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob_1</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob.001</object-name>
    <object-name>inboard-elevon-left</object-name>
    <object-name>inboard-elevon-right</object-name>
    <object-name>outboard-elevon-left</object-name>
    <object-name>outboard-elevon-right</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob_2</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob_4</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob_3</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob_eal</object-name>
    <object-name>SpeedBrakeL</object-name>
    <object-name>SpeedBrakeR</object-name>
    <object-name>BodyFlap</object-name>
    <object-name>heatshield</object-name>
    <object-name>GearDoorR</object-name>
    <object-name>GearDoorL</object-name>
    <object-name>NoseDoorR</object-name>
    <object-name>NoseDoorL</object-name>
    <object-name>cockpit-front-glass-outside</object-name>
    <object-name>omsLeft</object-name>
    <object-name>omsRight</object-name>
    <object-name>RMS.Base</object-name>
    <object-name>SSME</object-name>
    <object-name>KuReflector</object-name>
    <object-name>Arm</object-name>
    <object-name>Gimbal.Alpha</object-name>
    <object-name>Gimbal.Beta</object-name>
    <condition>
       <equals>
           <property>/fdm/jsbsim/systems/failures/shuttle-destroyed</property>
           <value>0</value>
       </equals>
    </condition>
 </animation>

<!-- shuttle destroyed -->
 <animation>
    <type>select</type>
    <object-name>Fwd_Window_AssyD</object-name>
    <object-name>Roof_Assembly.001D</object-name>
    <object-name>spaceshutt_spstob_1D</object-name>
    <condition>
       <equals>
           <property>/fdm/jsbsim/systems/failures/shuttle-destroyed</property>
           <value>1</value>
       </equals>
    </condition>
 </animation>

With this bit of select animations it still looks the same until the catastrophic event.

I just noticed the property
/fdm/jsbsim/systems/failures/aero-structure-condition
I wonder if we could/should use it for the switch instead of the new one ("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/failures/shuttle-destroyed"). I didn't trace "aero-structure-condition" and see where and how you use it.

So my question still stands however, do you want a new branch for this work to proceed or push it to the main development branch? If we put it in the main development branch I don't think it will be an issue until you have the catastrophic event.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:02 am

I see that none of the SRB and ET (launch effects) are recorded, any reason you would be opposed to me adding all of it to the flight recorder?

Then eventually the rest , such as reentry effects. Final and landing are already in the flight recorder.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:27 am

How do you want me to submit this, in development as usual or a new branch?

I don't see any huge breakage potential or subtle problems looming - so just push to development please.

Right now, there are only 3 damage objects that are part of the select animation for the damaged crew compartment configuration, however the select animation for non-damaged configuration is fairly extensive.

I think you can target the select to a top-level XML (or just make a condition where referencing the top level xml).

Or there's something I'm not getting.

I see that none of the SRB and ET (launch effects) are recorded, any reason you would be opposed to me adding all of it to the flight recorder?

I suspect you're the only one who configured the flight recorder so far, so feel free to add :-)
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Initial stages of the "Damage Cockpit" are pushed, also working on the flight-recorder. Lots to do on both.

A couple first steps needed for implementation..
Looking at failure.nas it appears the cockpit should be in a free-fall condition but it isn't. There is still limited areo control available?
I need to add some damage modifications and textures to the "damaged cockpit" model for a better visual overall.
To be able to replay the "catostrophic" event requires some work on the flight recorder (of which I will do).

I also pushed the z-fighting changes to the "undamaged" cockpit.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:44 am

Looking at failure.nas it appears the cockpit should be in a free-fall condition but it isn't. There is still limited areo control available?

I can't see how - setting /fdm/jsbsim/systems/failures/airfoils-pitch-condition (yaw, roll,...) explicitly nulls any control input in the <pitch> <yaw> and <roll> channels of the FCS for the airfoils.

Thrusters might still work somehow, but I have my doubts they are strong enough to control aerodynamical flight.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 pm

I've now tested by going over the qbar limit that after the explosion no aero control is available (is the damaged pressure vessel model pushed? I seem to get an error from not having it).

After some thought (not tested) - could it be that the SRBs continue to provide thrust and can be vectored, hence accelerating the debris away and giving a measure of control? The FDM doesn't actually know of the submodels being disconnected, I think it just receives a throttle zero command, but I'm not sure SRBs in JSBSim can be throttled once ignited, so that may not be enough. I think we could easily remove the vectoring as such - nulling the thrust may require to explicitly override properties in propulsion.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight