Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby www2 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:28 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 pm:Obviously we cannot use the C-BY-SA European sounds but the NASA ones seem to be public domain...?

My €0.02: If the European sounds are CC-By-SA 4.0[1] we can use in FG so long we gift credit.

[1]https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/GPL_compatibility_use_cases
www2

Postby bugman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:59 pm

www2 wrote in Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:28 pm:
legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 pm:Obviously we cannot use the C-BY-SA European sounds but the NASA ones seem to be public domain...?

My €0.02: If the European sounds are CC-By-SA 4.0[1] we can use in FG so long we gift credit.

[1]https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/GPL_compatibility_use_cases

If you have a look at the draft of the official FG policy document, you'll see that only GPL compatible licenses are accepted. However the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license is not GPL compatible.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:48 am

Obviously we cannot use the C-BY-SA European sounds but the NASA ones seem to be public domain...?

We may be allowed to use the NASA sounds, but they're mostly not useful. And I fail to see what ESA has to contribute to the Shuttle. So I don't see the point in having a license discussion of something which isn't what we need in the first place.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Have you ever wondered how to get back in case the RMS arm fails in an extended position? There's actually pyrotechnics installed to blow it off if it can't be retracted so that the payload bay door can be closed for entry under all circumstances (same story with the Ku-band antenna).

So here we're following the emergency procedure and blow the shoulder joint cartridge - and gently push away from the arm which continues to orbit:

Let nobody say we wouldn't support emergency procedures :-)
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Payload bay floodlights on...

Note that lots of interesting things can be done with lightmaps - here the starboard door is open already (and completely dark because it's not illuminated by anything) whereas the port door is in the process of opening and still receiving some light coming out of the bay.
Thorsten

Postby Bjoern » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:22 am

Just curious: What's the emergency procedure for stuck payload bay doors?
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:58 am

Find out where the tension is - then try to get an even temperature distribution across the Shuttle. Then you enter manual mode - there you can drive every latch gang separately, so you start with those which relieve the tension first. Each motor is dual-redundant. I guess that gives a lot of fallback options.

But I think if the doors are physically damaged to the point that they won't close, that's a mission-killer, just like getting the thermal protections shattered across a large area by a debris impact.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Some more background and pics for the payload bay lighting on my website.
Thorsten

Postby ausdkunst » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:40 am

Maybe one day we can have planets mods ;)
BULLDOG RS (The No.1 place for Flightgear automobile): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/
ausdkunst

Callsign: bulldog
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby Thorsten » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:10 am

The Shuttle doesn't go that far.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:47 am

For anyone aiming to refine launch technique, here are plots of two of my launches:

* due East launch from Vandenberg (course 90 deg) with no payload and super-lightweight tank

* due East launch from Vandenberg (course 90 deg) with full payload and standard-weight tank

Altitude as function of time:

Intertial velocity as function of time (note that due to the rotation of the planet, this starts with a non-zero value):

The main difference is that with a full payload, altitude management is actually easier - the push of the SRBs doesn't go quite as far up, so the trajectory can be managed to capture the desired altitude of 135 km early on and from that point vertical velocity is managed to be close to zero.

No need to run the tank dry on either of those launches - the heavy one left me 33.000 lb of propellant at MECO. Which is to say that it is possible to lug a payload into a higher eccentricity as well.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:16 pm

I guess if the doors failed completely its time to call up another space shuttle to rescue them. For the last hubble mission wasnt tthere another shuttle on the other pad?
Speaking of pads, any work on them?
And how about MP ISS based on MPCarrier?

Ok, Ok, I'm dreaming now. Good job - was on a weeks vacation, cannot wait to get back to shuttle again. M
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 pm

And how about MP ISS based on MPCarrier?

How's that supposed to work? An MP/AI model doesn't orbit, how should the Shuttle ever catch up with it?
Thorsten

Postby Bjoern » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks, Thorsten.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:16 pm:I guess if the doors failed completely its time to call up another space shuttle to rescue them. For the last hubble mission wasnt tthere another shuttle on the other pad?

The STS3xx missions were rescue missions implemented after Columbia.
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Some conceptual work creating the PASS ASCENT TRAJ 1 and PASS ASCENT TRAJ 2 display of the Shuttle.

This is a vertical trajectory summary display showing relative/inertial velocity on the x-axis against altitude on the y-axis - the line represents the trajectory as it should be and the symbol where you actually are. After getting used to it, it's quite an efficient way of managing deviations (here I am slightly too high and need to pitch down).
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight