Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby abassign » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Beautiful, at first I thought it was a photo of the real aircraft :) It seems to be very promising working method!
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby bugman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:16 am

wlbragg wrote in Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:44 am:New "detailed" mesh lightmaps are finished.

You just need the NASA manual and a few other things floating around in that last screenshot and there will be no competition for the screenshot of the month ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:59 am

Thorsten wrote in Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:16 am:I've started to convert the setText to the performance-friendlier updateText and setTextFast methods - however I added these to the canvas API just two days ago, so you need a *really* fresh FGData (you can just copy Nasal/canvas/api.nas from the repo if you don't want to reinstall everything.

Just FYI: Nasal really doesn't care what api.nas looks like - thus, in your own aircraft/shuttle code, you could just as well look for the new API, and if isn't found, revert back to the old behavior, or simply "inject" the missing APIs directly into the corresponding namespace.

For example, consider the following (I cannot actually test/run anything, so don't know the exact namespaces involved):

Code: Select all

var lookupMethod = func(namespace, class, method) {
return namespace.class[method];
}

if (lookupMethod(canvas, canvas.Text, "updateText")) == nil {
print("Method not found !");
# next, you can directly extend the namespace to add your missing callbacks:

canvas.Text.updateText= func() {
print("Warning: canvas.Text.updateText() added by aircraft code ! You should get a fresh fgdata !!")
}

}

Note, this is untested code - but there is no reason why this could not made to work - obviously, what you have done is preferable (extending api.nas), but this is a straightforward mechanism to provide backward compatiblity, and I think the bombable addon is also using this approach in some places - basically, you check if a namespace/symbol is available or not, and if it isn't (because it is nil), you merely take the changes you need and add those on demand.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Bomber » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:20 pm:Top-level quality! This type of work is well requested for some FG-fans and other paid simulator users awaiting to saw developed someof commercial or famous aircraft, but i think this Shuttle is cornerstone of singular work compatible with FG and availible for all, an example to follow and the best practice!!
Thanks

You're correct it's very good work... probably took some serious hours to get this level of detail...

It will make an interesting flagship for a commercial paid sim.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:31 pm

nice try ... I can assure you that Thorsten and the other shuttle folks are well aware of the repercussions of licensing their work under the GPL, so let's not start another flamewar, okay ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:36 pm

It will make an interesting flagship for a commercial paid sim.

I don't think there's a market for a simulation of that detail level - you somehow need to teach your customers to fly it all.
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:31 pm:nice try ... I can assure you that Thorsten and the other shuttle folks are well aware of the repercussions of licensing their work under the GPL, so let's not start another flamewar, okay ?

I agree lets not start one.... but it doesn't mean we should ignore the possibility that it might very well happen and the better the model, the more likely it is that it will be re-used somewhere else.... that's reality, human nature to use something if it's free.

I hope everyone that's spent hours on it., especially in the hundreds, haven't become emotionally attached to it and can cope with it being on Proflight, with images of it being used to scam more people, and knowing that someone's making money from their hard work.

And Thorstens correct in that his particular flight model might very well force a person to learn to 'fly it all'... however the 3d and 2d could easily be used with an alternative much simpler fdm.

So yeh well done, it looks brilliant. And I sincerely hope it doesn't take the 'wind out of your sails' if it ever appears somewhere else, and that you can continue to develop it knowing that your 3d and 2d updates will appears somewhere else as soon as you release them.

Because it'd knock me for 6, so you're a bigger man than me, I'll take my hat off to you....

But please this is just a 'heads up', and you might very well reply with some level of angst that you are a bigger man than me, but consider this, it's not happened to you yet so you don;t really know how you'll feel, but it has happened to me, so I'm talking from experience.

Regards

Simon

p.s. Sorry if this looks like a hijack, it's not my intention and I'd welcome the mods splitting it off just before the images if it's considered appropriate and doesn't lead to any distraction away from this wonderful work.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:56 pm

but it doesn't mean we should ignore the possibility that it might very well happen and the better the model, the more likely it is that it will be re-used somewhere else.... that's reality, human nature to use something if it's free.

I'm quite certain that at least FlightProSim will do it - and then have to support a product he doesn't remotely understand. That'll be interesting.

As for taking the model and shipping it with a simpler FDM - much is only useful in the particular context of FG shaders, effect framework, animation framework - even if you replace the FDM by something simpler (which is not that easy) you're stuck with having to re-write plenty of what makes it visually appealing. As for getting the pure 3d mesh - that's not developed inside FG, so there's a way to get it anyway, just download it from Chris Kuhn's page.

And once someone decides to do all that work and sells an easy-to-fly Shuttle with the FG engine, we can rightfully claim to get the source code of this back to FG - so in essence that person writes a lower realism level for us.
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Well all that you'd said is true.. and I welcome the tone of the conversation.

Can I ask, in reality just how much has been fed back from Proflight into FG ?

If it's a two way street then fine, but if it's more theory than practice then it's another thing.

Simon
Bomber

Postby wlbragg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:51 pm

If I was worried about someone doing anything with this work, I wouldn't have gotten involved, especially GPL. This is strictly for me and the like minded. No one can take it from me, only share it in a different way.
Last edited by wlbragg on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:23 am

Can I ask, in reality just how much has been fed back from Proflight into FG ?

Nothing - they're scammers, just re-labling work and selling it. Doesn't mean someone else doesn't put genuine work in and there is something coming back. Think the Creare parachutist.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 am

Note, I have split off a number of posts to:

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:57 am

After a week of toil, sweat and tears...

Thorsten

Postby jarl.arntzen » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:29 am

Screenshot of the Month! Just...all of them!
The instrument panel back-lighting combined with those light-maps is the best I've seen. Period. Congrats! :D
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 am

For anyone who's looking for a really involved use case of the flame shader, I've now animated the Shuttle engine ignition sequence (I can't really do videos, but there's an aminated gif below to show the general idea).

Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight