Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle Model?

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Space Shuttle Model?

Postby BATTLEMASTER » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:02 am

Just curious if there was a space shuttle model to go with the naked FDM?
BATTLEMASTER

Callsign: BLR-2C
Aircraft: F-15C Eagle, F-4X Phantom II, F-8 Crusader, C-130H Hercules, B-2 Spirit, XB-35, B-1B
Spacecraft: Bluebird, Danube-Class Runabout, Type 6 Shuttlecraft
Airports: KROC, KEDW, KJFK, KLAX, KORD, KMCO, EGLL
BATTLEMASTER

Re: Space Shuttle Model?

Postby Gijs » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:10 pm

I was working on a Shuttle (indeed was, I stopped a time ago, don't know why...). There should be a Aircraft/shuttle directory in your FlightGear folder with a FDM (which makes the shuttle a glider, as it is on it's return to the earth).

Someone else worked on the Shuttle before: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=274&p=1759&hilit=shuttle#p1759, but also never finished it.

It would be quite interesting to have a Shuttle, but it's hard to make. Since we don't have a nice earthview from high altitude, we don't have "space"... Making all the systems etc. of the shuttle is extremely hard since it has a lot :)
It is controlled different, during orbit, launch, landing etc. I don't have time to continue, but if someone would like to continue with the model...

Regards,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby pauljs75 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:36 am

Almost forgot about that one. I suppose I could pull it out of my archives and UV map it. Then throw that in a zip with GPL v2 licensing at ShareCG for the taking. But that would only get you started, as it would be a bare-bones .obj. It would still need more parts/refinement, animation set up, conversion via blender or AC3D, etc. to really be worthwhile in sim. (It happened before with the B1-B. I only did a small part in making it look neat from the outside, but most of the credit really should go to glazmax.) If you're interested in taking on all that, I can help do my little part to get the ball rolling again.

Now I know some people are probably like, "why don't you do more?" :roll: But that's like asking your plumber to fix the broken wall outlet while he's at it. My specialty is 3D mesh modeling, doing all the other stuff would only lead to problems.
pauljs75

Postby zakalawe » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:14 am

If you want to mess around with a (scary accurate) Shuttle sim, there's always http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/. Free, Windows only, but models the STS launch systems and flight/orbit mechanics much better than FG does.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby kisio137 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:46 pm

zakalawe wrote:If you want to mess around with a (scary accurate) Shuttle sim, there's always http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/. Free, Windows only, but models the STS launch systems and flight/orbit mechanics much better than FG does.

But, if you want to fly witch realistic shuttle, you must download it :!: :!:

Stock shuttle isn't realistic

It will be Shuttle Fleet or Space Shuttle Ultra
kisio137

Return to Spaceflight