Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

SpaceShipTwo V.S.S Enterprise

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: SpaceShipTwo V.S.S Enterprise

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm

omega95 wrote in Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 pm:But yes, the canvas system should be VERY useful there, and looking at the TONU display, I was thinking if the canvas system could 'project' a 3D object into 2D view (so as to create the globe) :)

I see, but no: it's currently not yet possible directly - but it could probably be added as a special mode to the canvas system, where you specify a 3D model, a view port and some transformations (i.e. via properties).

Being able to load and view/transform a 3D object would be useful for a number of things - such as aircraft previews, like the aircraft preview in fgrun. So maybe Tom is open to the idea, you better bring that up in the canvas sub forum.

Probably, 3D objects are going to be increasingly important in upcoming avionics to improve situational and spatial awareness, so preparing the canvas system for such features would probably be useful, otherwise we would need to use complicated workarounds to create vector graphics from 3D objects ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby omega95 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Hooray wrote in Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm:I see, but no: it's currently not yet possible directly - but it could probably be added as a special mode to the canvas system, where you specify a 3D model, a view port and some transformations (i.e. via properties).

Being able to load and view/transform a 3D object would be useful for a number of things - such as aircraft previews, like the aircraft preview in fgrun. So maybe Tom is open to the idea, you better bring that up in the canvas sub forum.

Hmm, that'll also be able to solve the 'camera view in an instrument' problem. :mrgreen:

Yeahboi wrote:Could you give me a download link so i could test it? :?:

http://gitorious.org/fg-experimental
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 pm

No, the camera/instrument view that you are referring to requires a modification of the scenery engine to use a CompositeViewer - so that multiple cameras can be attached to the scenery. That's a little more complex. In comparison, loading a different 3D object via OSG and rendering it to a texture is relatively straightforward - and there's no scenery dependency either. After all, it's just a single static 3D object.

In the long run, it would probably make sense to make this a "camera-view" mode which either supports 3D models loaded from disk or the "native" FG scenery - via the tile manager.

OSG/CompositeViewer: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Use_a_ ... siteViewer

EDIT: Also see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Extend ... _3D_models
Last edited by Hooray on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby lolman19 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi just wondering is the SS2 jet completed and if or you got a test one could you put a download for me i really want to test it i have tested the ss1/white Knight but every time i wanted to view the aircraft it would be invisible.

Thanks if you reply.
lolman19

Postby Gijs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 pm

See the post a few posts above yours:
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby lolman19 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

ok thanks now i can see the ship but when i try to fly the white knight/ss1 it still wont show but thanks

when do you think the ss2 will be up for download load i am not saying hurry up or what ever just want to get an idea
thanks if any one replys :D
lolman19

Postby Gijs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Did you actually click the link that I quoted? You can download the SS2 from there... (https://gitorious.org/fg-experimental/s ... ees/master and click the "download master.." button on the right)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Previous

Return to Spaceflight