Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Earthview - an orbital terrain rendering engine [v2.0]

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Earthview - an orbital terrain rendering engine [v2.0]

Postby chris_blues » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi there!

If you mean with CTD a crash of FG, then you quite possibly run out of memory on your graphics card. Loading 6 Textures * 3 layers (Earth, clouds and normalmap) with 16k is quite a bit of memory usage. Have you tried the 8k textures?

Other than that, I think the others are better suited to help, since I haven't been running FG for a few years now.

Good luck and best regards!
chris
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby eatdirt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Is there any other tweek that has to be done to use the 16k o the 8k textures other than install and overwrite the prevous files ?

Hi there,
the wiki should give you more explanations, if not already consulted: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Earthview

I share the opinion of Chris. If you have simply overwritten the default png textures with 16k textures for world, clouds and normalmaps, you're just filling the whole RAM and GPU memory. FG gets killed by the kernel for the offence. For 1920x1080 resolution, all textures loaded at once, we talk about 16GB of GPU memory and 32GB of RAM. Rescale these figures up for higher screen resolutions. Of course, you can lower them down by using smaller textures!

Good luck!
Last edited by eatdirt on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatdirt

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 pm

FWIW, speaking in general, memory can be freed CPU-side (RAM) after the texture is allocated on the GPU (VRAM) by using OSG's SetUnRefImageDataAfterApply(true) method (in principle at least) - while that isn't compatible with some more advanced multi-threading/multi-GPU modes (and also isn't easily exposed by FlightGear), you can manually set up/invoke the OSG optimizer directly by setting the corresponding environment variables - this can be set up analogous to how some folks have been setting up additional OSG pager threads (again, that will only be of interest to power users probably):

http://www.openscenegraph.org/index.php ... er-options
http://www.openscenegraph.org/index.php ... -osgviewer

OPTIMIZE_TEXTURE_SETTINGS

Sets the following value for all textures setUnRefImageDataAfterApply(true),

which comes down to the apply() function unreferencing the image data. If enabled, and the image data is only referened by this texture, apply() will delete the image data.

PS: This should also work for Canvas-heavy aircraft that don't need to runtime-modify the image after the texture is applied (e.g. livery use-cases) - there is a Canvas specific patch available on the wiki to enable this individually, i.e. per Canvas - rather than sim-wide.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Gomendio » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 am

Thanks for the tips.

I'll have to basically install the 4k textures taking into account the unbearable resources required for the 16k ones. Currently running 16Gb of RAM and 6GB 1080Ti card.
Always thought that this rig will be pretty much sufficient to undertake the burden of the SS under FG but I can see it clearly that it is not the case. Pity though.

I was trying some real SIM scenarios during Ascent to simulate the training of the STS-135, GPC failures with reconfig during stage 1, and initially I thought the CTD was something
related with the switchology reconfig with the GPC's, but clearly not. I was a tad too much trigger happy willing to emulate GinGin's earthview pics than I screwed up the thing installing the 16k.

Carelessness I suppose. Anyway, I'll install the 4k textures and open the eartview console to star/run an see what happens.

Thanks Hooray for the tips in re-scaling the textures. I would not go that far. Guess the 4k would do trick.

Happy Easter to all.
Gomendio

Postby eatdirt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 am

I forget to say, but you can also mix the texture sizes. You can take 16k world 8k clouds 8k normals, or 8/4/4 for instance!
eatdirt

Postby Gomendio » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 am

You red my mind eatdirt. I was about to head over the repository to download the 8k clouds and heights and cook a nice hodgepodge of different textures.
I just cranked the sim up and it seems it is working properly again. No CTD. World N1-4 16K with clouds and earth 8K. It seems to hold up nicely.

Fingers crossed¡
Gomendio

Postby chris_blues » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:42 pm

Your 6GB graphics RAM should definitely be enough to load all 8k resolution. Btw, using the dds files also saves a lot of memory.

Happy easter and much fun in orbit!
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

bash script to download precompiled earthview textures.

Postby dreieck » Fri May 28, 2021 11:44 pm

I have made a small bash script that can automatically download the precompiled earthview textures from curl.irmp.ucl.ac.be/~chris/upload/fg/earthview/ as noted in the wiki. The bash script is linked in the wiki.

It downloads the dataset for every month, or it symlinks a dataset for a specified month into a specified place, see help of the script (run without arguments or with '-h'). To choose which resolution(s) to download or which image file format(s) to download the variables in the script needs to be edited. Needs an unix environment with bash and wget.
dreieck

Callsign: dreieck
Version: latest-git

Postby eatdirt » Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Two remarks:
1) you should default heights and normalmaps also at 8K, they're super-sampled at 16K
2) I hope this script won't be intensively used as my upload bandwidth is not infinite :)

cheers,
chris.
eatdirt

Postby dreieck » Sat May 29, 2021 8:22 pm

eatdirt wrote in Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 pm:1) you should default heights and normalmaps also at 8K, they're super-sampled at 16K

Thanks, changed.

I also changed the default for the world textures now to 8K, in order to address

eatdirt wrote in Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 pm:2) I hope this script won't be intensively used as my upload bandwidth is not infinite :)

Regards!
dreieck

Callsign: dreieck
Version: latest-git

Postby chris_blues » Sat May 29, 2021 10:39 pm

And alternatively, the torrent is still alive. Though I'm not sure if it meets your last tweaks... is there a new torrent?
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby eatdirt » Mon May 31, 2021 8:57 am

Though I'm not sure if it meets your last tweaks... is there a new torrent?

Hi Chris,
you're right, I don't think the torrent has been updated to seamless periodic boundary conditions. I'll make one with the default August textures then!

Cheers.
eatdirt

Postby chris_blues » Mon May 31, 2021 9:28 am

Why not make a torrent with all your textures? Usually the torrent clients let the user set the files to download.
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby eatdirt » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:49 am

Usually the torrent clients let the user set the files to download.

All right, I'll check. The whole package amounts to 75GB, that might be difficult to seed at once. But I could do as many torrent as there are months.

Edit: Let's test this first:
Code: Select all
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6df05a15c863040fd31278dfd1f719523b639cf2&dn=EarthView.World.August-2020.06
eatdirt

Previous

Return to Spaceflight