Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Earthview - an orbital terrain rendering engine [v2.0]

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Earthview - an orbital terrain rendering engine [v2.0]

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:12 pm

i looked at the linked topic and right clicked and "view image" of the three posted images... i cannot see anything in them... they are just black squares... in one i can see the cockpit panels lights... in others i can see one or two whitish dots that i suspect are stars... but i see nothing of aurora...

my windows are blacked out, i've turned off all the lights and other monitors here in the computer room, switched my firefox to kiosk mode, and sat in the near total dark for 10+ minutes to let my eyes adjust and still cannot see anything... my Samsung Syncmaster 900p CRT monitor is calibrated for proper color display, contrast and brightness...

FWIW: this is not the only situation where this (too dark) happens... there's a new DoomRL (RL == Rogue like) game being developed called Jupiter Hell... the environment is very Doom like and so it is rather dark... the developers all have the same monitors and they've created everything so it looks like they want it to but when they took the game to another system to demo it, it was much too dark... their monitors are also calibrated but compared to other calibrated monitors, things are definitely not the same... AFAIK, the monitors they are working with are today's flat screens... i'm not sure if they are LED monitors or not... mine is definitely a CRT monitor, though... danged thing weighs 50+ pounds, too... very large, heavy and awkward to move...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm

The colors are there, I can see them without having to do anything including without zooming in the image. Have you tried adjusting your monitor contrast/brightness? It appears it may be set to dark.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby chris_blues » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:34 pm:Earthview is getting thunderstorms you can see flashing from orbit at night.

That sounds great! Can't wait to see it in action! 8)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 pm

wlbragg wrote in Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm:The colors are there, I can see them without having to do anything including without zooming in the image. Have you tried adjusting your monitor contrast/brightness? It appears it may be set to dark.

if i adjust the brightness or contrast, then it is no longer calibrated... but no, i cannot increase my brightness, anyway, as the knob is already at the max... adjusting the contrast to lighten the screen makes black into darkgrey...

i'm starting to wonder if others have their monitors too bright... likely because so many work in brightly lit areas with a lot of sunlight and possibly really bright artificial lights... as i stated before, my windows are blacked out and the only artificial light, other than that from various led's on systems and the other monitors, that is used is a 10 to 40 watt bulb... i can't remember if it is 10, 20, 30 or 40 at this time... in any case, 40 is the brightest i ever use...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm fairly certain I have rather bright monitors, but if you have a recent FG, the aurora actually should respond to the in-sim ALS brightness and gamma correction filters - that's part of what they're for.

(In reality, the aurora is usually fairly faint - my real life images of aurora displays are shot with 10 s exposure time.)

And if you desperately want to check, you can try opening one of the pics in an image editor and enhance the contrast...
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Earthview 2.1 has now been pushed. If you can afford the full resolution of Earth and clouds, this is mind-blowing.

Improvements include:

* Rayleigh scattering term leading to a blue haze in the distance
* correction of the cloud normal map leading to better shading visuals in low light
* parallax map for clouds, leading to a better 3d appearance also during the day
* lightning effect at night (currently installed on four locations on the planet, but I won't tell which ones)
* improved aurora appearance with a second arc ring added

Some visuals below - judge for yourself whether ISS or FG (they're actually done in hires -seeing the magnified version is well worth it) :-)

Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Stunning!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 pm:I'm fairly certain I have rather bright monitors,

yeah. i might have stated that backwards in my previous posting(s)...

Thorsten wrote in Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 pm:but if you have a recent FG, the aurora actually should respond to the in-sim ALS brightness and gamma correction filters - that's part of what they're for.

i run the latest dev version... i was unaware that the brightness and gamma were functional without infrared or night-vision being enabled... i'll have to go back and take a look at that as i've been leaving them at their default settings other than playing with them only when using infrared or night-vision ;)

Thorsten wrote in Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 pm:(In reality, the aurora is usually fairly faint - my real life images of aurora displays are shot with 10 s exposure time.)

the main ones i normally see are those posted by NASA...

Thorsten wrote in Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 pm:And if you desperately want to check, you can try opening one of the pics in an image editor and enhance the contrast...

i might do that just to see what i can see...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:37 am

[hours later]
i just saw this pic posted on twitter by @Thom_astro... this is what i tend to expect to see of auroras when in earthview... i hope this works for everyone... it is an https link to twitter's image server...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:21 am

That's pretty much how it looks in FG, yes - except the picture is taken with a long exposure time and likely doesn't represent how the aurora looks with bare eyes.

(I live at 62 deg Northern latitude, and the per-night aurora probability here is about 30% and I'm a hobby astronomer trying to be out whenever the sky is dark and clear - so I see them fairly regularly with fully darkness-adapted eyes - though usually they're just a faint green glow on the northern horizon, spectacular displays are rare).

Here's a screenshot that's post-processed with gimp (curve tool) to compensate for the exposure time difference

Thorsten

Postby jarl.arntzen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:54 am

Screenshots of the month. Any month. :D
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Johan G » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:11 am

I have been able to see the screenshots on two different laptops, and have also seen aurora IRL. And yes, all three are faint but still visible. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Gomendio » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi to all.

I need to put some light into the default Earthview quality on 2019s FG. nable to discern the boundaries from the countries on Orbit. Very dull experience Already downloaded the modified textures ( Steps 1 and 2 in the tut )
But not quite sure now how to proceed after that. I've been putting off by the rename method and I'm kindda lost certainly.

Is there any file with the new textures modified ( Hires) to copy and paste into the destination Earthview folder?

Any tips pretty much welcome.
Gomendio

Postby chris_blues » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Gomendio wrote in Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 pm:Is there any file with the new textures modified ( Hires) to copy and paste into the destination Earthview folder?

To download the entire texture set in hires open (copy) this magnet-link in any torrent client:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:ffd18abf3bd98ee761babc09d7c901ea1ce0c78f&dn=EarthView%20-%20Complete

(I thought, this was in the wiki...) :wink:
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:21 am

isn't the hires stuff also in one of the FGAddon addon directories? i know it isn't an actual addon you can select and the sim will use but that's another method of getting it, isn't it?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight