Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Earthview - an orbital terrain rendering engine [v2.0]

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Earthview - an orbital terrain rendering engine [v2.0]

Postby wlbragg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:57 am

I should have given you this to start with. My log was huge and I completely failed to realize that is what search is for :oops:

opengl:4:/home/wayne/FGFS/flightgear/src/Viewer/fg_os_osgviewer.cxx:203:glLinkProgram "" FAILED

opengl:4:/home/wayne/FGFS/flightgear/src/Viewer/fg_os_osgviewer.cxx:203:Program "" infolog:
Fragment info
-------------
0(148) : error C3002: call to undefined function "vec3 filter_combined(vec3);"
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm rebuilding a fresh simgear/flightgear.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Assuming everything was updated, that didn't work. It's still broke.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Assuming you have no merge conflicts in the shaders/effect files and you have updated FGData properly, I'm somewhat mystified.

planet.eff should have

Code: Select all
         <program>
            <vertex-shader>Shaders/planet.vert</vertex-shader>
            <fragment-shader>Shaders/planet.frag</fragment-shader>
            <fragment-shader>Shaders/noise.frag</fragment-shader>
                               <fragment-shader>Shaders/filters-ALS.frag</fragment-shader>
         <attribute>

which includes filters-ALS.frag, inside that there is the definition of the function and the function is properly declared at the beginning of planet.frag as

vec3 filter_combined (in vec3 color) ;

(same for planet-high.frag) - though if you're seeing it at line 148, you're running planet.frag (i.e. without normal mapping - does it work with normal mapping then? Or does this get you an error in line 158?)

Can you do a diff with the files from the earthview2.0.tgz and see whether that changed anything obvious for effects and shaders that could have caused this?
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:10 pm

I don't know how, but

<fragment-shader>Shaders/filters-ALS.frag</fragment-shader>

was missing from planet.eff.

When I installed earthview2.0.tgz, I saved the original files with a name change. After you updated fgdata, I removed all the earthview2.0 and reverted the original files names. Then I pulled with no conflicts, or so I thought. I don't know if planet.eff simply didn't get the update or what.

Oh well, it's working now, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:13 pm

Took me a while to figure out a 'save' git workflow (i.e. really update when I meant to...). It seems one of the things that are much easier in theory than in actual reality of fooling around without knowing all the small print...
Thorsten

Postby rominet » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:28 am

Thorsten wrote in Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:42 am:Define 'too high' and 'too low'.

With the 8k textures and a 1920×1080 display, I found that:
  • When looking straight down (towards the Earth), the images start getting acceptably sharp (not blurry) in the 6-10 million feet range (2,000 to 3,000 km).
  • Increasing the distance, I start seeing clipping at circa 30 million feet (10,000 km).
So, “too low” is for me below 2,000 km and “too high” is above 10,000 km, approximately. But this must be highly dependent on the FOV (I made these tests with /sim/current-view/field-of-view = 60.0, which I think must be the default with the ufo).
Thorsten wrote in Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:42 am:Not sure about 'weird geometric properties' - I can go out to 3000 km without seeing problems

In terms of shape, that was something like this. Don't worry for now, I believe these screenshots were made with yesterday's FG before the listener on /models was fixed, and I don't remember which parameters I used (maybe some illegitimate use :wink:). I just kept them because the shape weirdness I meant above (encountered on my first Earthview tests) looked like that, but with Earth textures applied.

I made some kind of a world tour at around 12 million feet altitude, and I must say it was gorgeous: http://imgur.com/a/o1DZ3 (I didn't annotate all images because there are so many of them, imgur shuffled them (!!) and they are going to be thrown away anyway...).
chris_blues wrote in Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:50 am:Earth rocks!!!

I couldn't say better! 8)
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Subject: Earthview - an orbital terrain rendering engine [v2.0]
Thorsten wrote:* modify your preferences,xml Earthview section to

FWIW, you may want to consider using the include directive to move your earthview (or ALS) specific stuff to a separate file and simple include it externally - that way, you can much more easily track any related changes (via the commit logs), and any upcoming changes will never again need to touch preferences.xml

We once talked about that on the forum, and Stuart and others agreed that this would be a good step to help unclutter/clean up preferences.xml - i.e. by introducing a new fgdata folder like "Settings" or "Defaults" and merely referencing the files found there.

A few devs have started doing that already, i.e. see $FG_ROOT/httpd.xml where Torsten put his httpd related settings.

Given the ongoing development of the package manager, catalog and addon functionality, it seems like an increasingly good idea to also modularize preferences.xml - and it will make it much easier for maintainers to track important changes - i.e. you will always know immediately that changes to als.xml or earthview.xml will be of interest to you, and can safely ignore most other changes to preferences.xml
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:31 pm

I typically do that once the additions grow beyond some size (AW includes its stuff, the Shuttle has several include directives). I'd say Earthview is a marginal case. I guess in the future it'll happen that way.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Wayne came up with the idea, but I immediately liked it - Earthview is getting thunderstorms you can see flashing from orbit at night.

Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 pm

it would be nice to see the aurora, too...

BTW: i found that turning off mie in earthview stops the atmosphere flickering/strobing i see on the edge of the globe... i have everything else turned on...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:51 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 pm:it would be nice to see the aurora, too...

FlightGear already have aurora too. :) I just can not seem to find the development topic.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:41 pm

yes, there are aurora but they are visible in normal altitude flight when close enough to the poles... they are not visible, AFAIK, when in earth view and you are flying a 1.584e+06 feet (that should be 300 miles) altitude or higher... but maybe i'm expecting them to be more apparent with sharper colors like i see in photos? i dunno...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:43 am

there are aurora but they are visible in normal altitude flight when close enough to the poles... they are not visible, AFAIK, when in earth view and you are flying a 1.584e+06 feet

Yes they are, see https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25747&p=269787&hilit=aurora+borealis#p269787
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:16 am

The aurora is in fact much more detailed from space than from the ground - looking at the North pole from far away in space:

Green primary mode oxygen excitation :

Mximum flux excitation - lower purple fringe from Nitrogen excitation, and secondary mode oxygen excitation in red above.

De-excitation time is almost immediately for the green and purple modes, but some 2 minutes for the red mode, so the afterglow of a large flux event is red:

Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight