Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Development

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby GinGin » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:28 pm

amalahama wrote in Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:17 pm: How is your Power Expicit Guidance for Ascent code going?

Hello Amalahama.
Code for Unified Powered Flight Guidance is finished following real algorithm.
I dont have too much time now for deeper tests to merge it well with present ascent code and autopilot steering. But it is promising.
Overall, it is harder to debug than TAEM and Entry algorithms.

Everything about it is very well resumed in this article from Noiredd who implemented PEG for KSP: https://github.com/Noiredd/PEGAS-MATLAB/blob/master/docs/upfg.md
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby eatdirt » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:59 pm

Happy new year fellows!

Damned, that was not so easy, but here we go:

Data from the GAIA satellite, public domain, credits ESA/Gaia/DPAC. Image, from scratch, by myself, stacking the photon flux of 1539847206 stars of magnitude greater than 10. Color transformed into proper sRGB, and flux calibrated in W/m^2/s/sr. The image is also fully over saturated in colors to actually see them :)]

Edit:
I'll put all codes and instructions to make this image on my github account soon (as GPLv3)

Done, you can find the code at this location: https://github.com/eatdust/gaialaxy
It is also some business to retrieve all of that data, for a while, determined by free disk space, you'll find the votables there: gaia/data/

Since the gentlemen at ESA never dared to answer my kind request of redistributing their image as GPLv3, I am currently enjoying myself making a slightly larger high-res picture than the one they have (64k x 32k) :twisted:
Edit: Done, these images, and the fits file encoding physical fluxes, are now all there: gaia/

In the meanwhile, how I should license these new images to be in flightgear? Does GPLvX fine for pictures as well?

I'll resume the Milky Way merge request soon then, at last!

Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by eatdirt on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eatdirt

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:30 pm

Oh wow - this looks simply … breathtakingly great ! :) Good work !
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:27 am

In the meanwhile, how I should license these new images to be in flightgear? Does GPLvX fine for pictures as well?

Technically the GPL runs into a few odds and ends for artwork (what is the 'source code' equivalent?) - but the legal mess if we'd license artwork different from code would be even greater, so we license everything GPL in one go.

If you are copyright holder of the picture (which is the case if you created it from public domain data using your ingenuity and work) - then you can actually dual-license it - using one license for distribution with FG and a CC license for usage as pure artwork.
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:03 pm

Oh wow - this looks simply … breathtakingly great !

For the pleasure of the eyes, you should download the 16k version, gamma compressed: gaialaxy_16k.tiff

And, just for taking the piss, the 32k version is there (think twice before clicking, it is 2.5GB large): https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gaialaxy.png

In these, globular clusters are actually resolved, we see the stars inside :shock: We also see other faint galaxies orbiting our. Bloody hell!

then you can actually dual-license it - using one license for distribution with FG and a CC license for usage as pure artwork

Perfect then, thanks! I'll read the CC-BY again for the artwork side, I think 4.0 is compatible with GPL.
Last edited by eatdirt on Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:12 pm

Very nice work Chris
GinGin

Postby eatdirt » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:19 pm

Very nice work Chris

Thanks, the funny part being that, all of this is just the prequel to put the little green square of the CCTV RMS camera over the field of view, which is quite funny actually :P

I have to organize everything in a proper merge request, but everything is ready, so that will come soon!
eatdirt

Postby Vinny002 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:26 pm

Hi guys! I am still here! How is the FG space shuttle coming along? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby GinGin » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:15 am

@Vinny002: Hello Vinny, nothing really new for now on the dev branch since September.
Chris is working on RMS view and Earthview. I am slowly working on Ascent/ Abort guidance when time is available.

There are still hundred things to master on the stable release :)
GinGin

Postby eatdirt » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:55 pm

The new RMS view:

Should match:

For the color, I did not find any picture of the actual RMS view, so I picked the color of one the MEDS display on board Atlantis. Feel free to post any info I would miss.

This is a new ALS filter, named "CCTV overlay", so I need to push it first to fgdata before the Shuttle to make it work. I've added a new slider too, that sets the brightness of the overlay only, I suspect that will be required in low light conditions!

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby wlbragg » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:44 pm

Shaders are your friend, this is looking so cool!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby eatdirt » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:42 pm

All right, merge request on FGdata landed:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... uests/283/

@Wayne, that's very basic, but since it is shader-based, it could be improved in insane ways, like this: https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term

A lot of space for improvements, indeed :)
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:51 pm

That looks very nice.
GinGin

Postby eatdirt » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:11 pm

Unfortunately guys, the shader way won't make it to fgdata. But there is a canvas alternative, this one:

I'll try to make it nicer, but that won't be easy. I don't see how I can remove all this little segments making the circles, linear gradients are not supported and I don't see how to make the nice glowing I had with the shader version, plus that canvas thing seems to be killing fps by 10 for making a few lines?? I should also control the brightness!
eatdirt

Postby eatdirt » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:01 am

All right, that is the best I can do without using shaders. If I did not know the shader version, I'd certainly be satisfied with that:

It is no longer based on loading a svg, but is directly drawn with the canvas API, so the circles are nice now and are no longer polygons :) I've also added a new slider in the rms operation menu (see picture) as to control the overlay brightness, for night ops!
It should be computationaly light, the canvas is built only when the RMS is powered, children are unloaded and the canvas deleted once unpowered. So, this should not interfere much with anything else (the fps is actually not affected by the overlay).

Merge request here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/fgspaceshuttl ... quests/34/

In the process of searching solutions, I have also an SVG version of the overlay (not used), it matches the one we find on the PDRS manuals (I did draw it using transparency over the pdf picture of these manuals...)

ctv_overlay_wrist.svg

Let me know if I have overlooked something, I've tested it by releasing the HST, and as you can see, that works fine, version 2020.4 (next).

There are some minor glitches with FG and canvas, like flashes when resizing, and setTranslation() seemed to be buffered untill the FG window is clicked, but only when moving out of F10 fullscreen. They are of minor annoyance and I'll open bug reports for FG.

Cheers,
Chris.

PS: I am keeping the shader version on my sf repo (branch named cctv), as I'd like to insist a bit more for the ALS filters to be extended on fgdata. May be if I try to import a properly bloody nice cathodic tube shader, they will love it and merge it :)
eatdirt

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight