Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:05 am

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models#S

This was pretty easy to find with a google search, and I am the worst at searching for stuff.

Granted. I didn't search for a detailed cockpit, nor do I know where one exists on that site.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby amalahama » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:35 am

By the way, the Smithsonian museum has released an extremely detailed, textured external model of the shuttle made by photometry with GPL license. Maybe it's worth to check it out too
amalahama

Postby electricfalcon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:52 am

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:28 am:
which means I don't think I could use the 3d model assets in a commercial product.

Yes and no - you could still sell it, but you'd have to license it GPL and would have to keep all sources accessible.

However I assume it would be ok to use the 3D model as a reference when creating my own model asset for the flight deck?

Grey area. Facts cannot be copyrighted, so to the degree that you use the information 'this switch is at position such and such' (which is a fact) that's clearly okay. To the degree that you use inspiration how the mesh is organized it is not.

However, if you're after creating a commercial product, you could simply buy the license for the original cockpit mesh from Chris Kuhn - to my knowledge he had the deluxe textured version for sale (and gave us permission to use the plan version for our purpose).

Otherwise, please understand that as an OpenSource coder, my willingness to help with commercial product development is... low.

Yep the above commenter linked me to the Chris Kuhn model, which I wasn't aware was the source material for the FG cockpit. That makes more sense. I'm not in a financial position to layout $149 at the moment. This is just a personal project to develop a VR shuttle sim for release. I'm pretty confident now I've got as much reference material as exists for developing the cockpit, so I'll just crack on!

Again appreciate the help considering this is all open source vs my intentions!

wlbragg wrote in Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:05 am:https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models#S

This was pretty easy to find with a google search, and I am the worst at searching for stuff.

Granted. I didn't search for a detailed cockpit, nor do I know where one exists on that site.

Thanks, I had found this one but thought somebody was referencing an internal cockpit model which I could not find. My google foo is generally good but its always easier when someone has the links already :)

I'll go radio silent now :)
electricfalcon

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:26 pm

electricfalcon wrote in Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:52 am:Yep the above commenter linked me to the Chris Kuhn model, which I wasn't aware was the source material for the FG cockpit.

FWIW: the SpaceShuttle AUTHORS file that i pointed to and quoted states this, too ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:40 pm

electricfalcon wrote in Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 pm:I can't seem to find a NASA shuttle cockpit model, could you link me to it?

Our cockpit model is based on the freeware cockpit which came from the truly excellent (and complete) Space Shuttle 3d model that you should be able to purchase from Chris Kuhn (https://chriskuhn.artstation.com); https://chriskuhn.artstation.com/projects/568V1

Email me if you need more contact details for Chris Kuhn,
Richard

Version: Git

Previous

Return to Spaceflight