Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Development

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby eatdirt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:01 am

Hi Wayne,
it is here, if you pull the branch "srmsview" from there: https://sourceforge.net/u/dirteat/fgspa ... view/tree/

or from the merge request: https://sourceforge.net/p/fgspaceshuttl ... quests/30/

As I said earlier, I had to decompose and recompose the grapples to put them in the proper orientation, plus roll the whole 3D model for matching the end effector attitude. Please just check that I did not involuntarily damage other parts. Thanks!!
cheers.
eatdirt

Postby wlbragg » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 pm

Chris, it looks fine to me. I didn't realize the orientation of the target was at the top VS the side. I didn't have time to actually test any of the mechanics or animations, but plan to do so in the not to distant future. As far as the model is concerned, it looks fine. I'm anxious to try the target view. Also after seeing some of the RMS images of the targeting camera, I'd like to create and add it to the arm. I noticed it doesn't appear to have ever been applied to out model of the RMS. So I wouldn't delay getting it merged to development, I would like to test it from there.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:05 pm

Wow, I just got my first look at the RMS view. Why has it taken us so long to do this? The most simplest of ideas are sometimes the hardest to realize.
After seeing this I think I can fashion some kind of mesh model similar to the COAS and attach it to the RMS as in the CCTV camera. We should be able to see it if positioned correctly when in the RMS view. Maybe I can mimic that entire view to look as if it is from the interior CCTV perspective.
Eventually we will get that same view on the CCTV screen in the Mission view.
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:54 pm

So I wouldn't delay getting it merged to development, I would like to test it from there.

Thanks Wayne for the checks! Feel free to improve once merged, a 3D model of the camera would be beautiful!!

Yep I followed the NASA pictures to correctly orient the grapple target. The 180 degrees roll seems necessary indeed due to HST shape. Would it be oriented at 0 degree roll, the camera on the end effector could have hit some parts of the telescope when grabbing it in the payload bay, especially because the optical tube gets fat exactly at this location.

I think we also need to fix the grapple target on Spartan, but I'll check that with online pictures.

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:29 pm

wlbragg wrote in Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:05 pm:Wow, I just got my first look at the RMS view. Why has it taken us so long to do this? The most simplest of ideas are sometimes the hardest to realize.
After seeing this I think I can fashion some kind of mesh model similar to the COAS and attach it to the RMS as in the CCTV camera. We should be able to see it if positioned correctly when in the RMS view. Maybe I can mimic that entire view to look as if it is from the interior CCTV perspective.
Eventually we will get that same view on the CCTV screen in the Mission view.

care to share some screen shots or youtube video ?
Like Jules said previously, this is the kind of feature that may turn out to become the incentive to help bootstrap the integration of a corresponding compositor/compositeviewer canvas "view" element ... so it would obviously be interesting to look at what you've got by now, and what's missing. Jules already alluded to being willing to extend sview to support the corresponding "step" types.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 pm

Hi Hooray, actually it's nothing. It's just a another view from the end of the RMS. The simplicity of that view though escaped us until now. While in that view I can create a model to look like I'm viewing it from the CCTV inside the shuttle. The next best thing to actually having the image on a CCTV screen inside the shuttle.
wlbragg

Postby GinGin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am

@Wayne and @EatDirt: That looks nice . Thanks for the merge review Wayne.

I am going through the original Taem guidance equations .
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19800016874

Really interesting , a good reading for future fine tuning.
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 am

This is what I was referring to.

Add the targeting visual and this is basically your CCTV view full screen.
Add a nice canvas based textured control panel VS the current PUI for an aesthetically more pleasing visual.

@eatdirt, I added the cctv object to the all the pitch, roll and yaw animations, but that is apparently wrong as you can see it is lagging behind the actual view movement. I need to figure out what animations apply to the view.

The only other thing I am not sure about is the lighting. I inherited the same interior view lighting the cctv1 monitor uses for the exterior view cctv mask, but I don't think that is going to be correct as it is in a totally different location. I may have to use some dummy downed lighting effect for it.
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 am

@eatdirt, I added the cctv object to the all the pitch, roll and yaw animations, but that is apparently wrong as you can see it is lagging behind the actual view movement. I need to figure out what animations apply to the view.

Hi Wayne, this is in stages.nas, the viewer position and attitude are reproduced below (and are computed in Systems/rms.xml). Mind the different coordinate systems between the rms and the view!

Code: Select all
   var cam_eff_z = getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/rms/camera-effector-x") - 8.5;
   var cam_eff_x = getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/rms/camera-effector-y") - 2.1;
   var cam_eff_y = getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/rms/camera-effector-z") - 1.1;

var cam_eff_pitch = -getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/rms/sum-wrist-yaw-pitch-deg");
   var cam_eff_yaw =  getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/rms/sum-wrist-yaw-deg") - 180.0;
   var cam_eff_roll = getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/rms/ang-wrist-roll-deg");

setprop("/sim/current-view/x-offset-m",cam_eff_x);
   setprop("/sim/current-view/y-offset-m",cam_eff_y);
   setprop("/sim/current-view/z-offset-m",cam_eff_z);
   setprop("/sim/current-view/pitch-offset-deg",cam_eff_pitch);
   setprop("/sim/current-view/heading-offset-deg",cam_eff_yaw);
   setprop("/sim/current-view/roll-offset-deg",cam_eff_roll);
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:31 am

I've just pushed an (untested) kill flag for a hanging Lambert computation - theoretically this should end all numerics as well as reset the locks so that a fresh computation can be started (basically execute item 28 on SPEC 34 while the star is there).

It seems simple enough, but if there are sudden problems with Lambert - it probably was me...
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Oh, updates for the manual - since I haven't done most changes myself this time... :D

I have as new issues

* helium system and engine redline operation
* new CWS messages
* abort boundary callouts
* a paragraph on how to read the lines, guidance box etc. on the ENTRY TRAJ
* the notepad
* the SM limit violation indicators

It doesn't seem there is 'a lot' we need to add (keep in mind this is not supposed to cover every detail or replace the original documentation, just to give you a compressed view of the essentials).

Is there something important operationally which has changed and needs to be mentioned to a new user so that he can fly? Is there some topic I've missed? I realize it's lots of small odds and ends here and there, but I won't be able to update every image to show the new fonts for instance.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 am:Add the targeting visual and this is basically your CCTV view full screen.
Add a nice canvas based textured control panel VS the current PUI for an aesthetically more pleasing visual.

Indeed, that's looking pretty good.
Like you say, a Canvas based "fascia" (shell) would be easy to add - see the FG1000 for examples.
However, as Jules said, a dedicated OSG window might be another option at this point, at least in composite viewer enabled builds.
According to the devel list, Jules is currently busy ironing out some remaining issues with Durk - but like he said, this is the sort of compelling feature that could provide an incentive for Canvas views to materialize over time :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby GinGin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 pm

@Wlbragg: The overlay looks very nice.

Is there something important operationally which has changed and needs to be mentioned to a new user so that he can fly? Is there some topic I've missed?

You seems to have cover the main points :)
I will have a check to what might be missing

I won't be able to update every image to show the new fonts for instance.

You might put an hyperlink to the wiki for that.
I updated the dps wiki part with new layouts for almost every pages, I will finish the few ones remaining ( Taem)

https://wiki.flightgear.org/Space_Shuttle_Avionics
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Vinny002 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:19 am

Hi guys! How is the new stable version of the FG space shuttle coming along? I am very excited about trying out the new version of the FG space shuttle!!

Cheers
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 am

@GinGin - which (if any) of my launch trajectory shaping parameters actually still work? You changed the guidance quite a bit... so I'd rather ask.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight