Board index FlightGear Support 3rd Party Repositories

Can any one help about downloading aircraft  Topic is solved

Can any one help about downloading aircraft

Postby a350b777 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:28 am

hi,
I just downloaded flightgear 2016.2.1 and is trying to download it0uchpods's aircrafts(md-80,11,a340)
I installed them, unzipped them, and moved the unzipped file to flightgear aircraft folder.
(document-flightgear-aircraft-org.flightgear.offical-aircraft)
but the aircraft is not showing up in the list to fly.
I know literally nothing about programming and complex computer related languages,
so can someone help me in some simple languages?
(I use windows 10)
a350b777

Re: Can any one help about downloading aircraft  

Postby elgaton » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:54 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

1. Go to My Documents->FlightGear->Aircraft->org.flightgear.official-aircraft and delete the two folders containing it0uchpod's aircraft. ("org.flightgear.official-aircraft" is reserved for aircraft downloaded from FlightGear's official repository via the launcher and you shouldn't put aircraft there manually; we'll add it0uchpod's aircraft back in the next steps).
  2. Unzip the aircraft .zip files you downloaded. This should create two new folders containing the aircraft files named MD-11-master and MD-88-master.
  3. Rename the folders, respectively, to MD-11 and MD-88. (This is a general rule: when you download an aircraft from a GitHub repository, GitHub automatically appends -master to the folder name. -master should be removed, otherwise FlightGear will be unable to find the aircraft).
  4. Move the folders to My Documents->FlightGear->Aircraft.
  5. Start FlightGear; in the launcher, open the Paths tab (note: I'm going from memory here, so the instructions might not be 100% accurate). Check if C:\Users\<your user name>\My Documents\FlightGear\Aircraft appears in the Additional aircraft locations box; otherwise, click on the + button beneath the box and select that folder.
FlightGear should be able to find the aircraft now.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby a350b777 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:12 pm

thank you very very much.
it work perfectly now.^^
a350b777

Postby Octal450 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Hope you enjoy my models :)
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby uwjono » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Could somebody please explain the procedure for a Linux installation?

I have downloaded a 777-200 and unzipped it into ~/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/ which is where other aircraft appear to be but like above, it is not appearing as a choice to fly.

jono
uwjono

Postby elgaton » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm

You should not touch ~/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/ (even if all other aircraft are there, that directory is managed by FlightGear).

Instead:
  • unzip the .zip file you downloaded and, if needed, rename the directories by removing -master as explained in my previous post;
  • create a folder where you will store the downloaded aircraft (e.g. /home/jono/FGAircraft, but you can use any path you wish);
  • move the directories you extracted from the .zip files into /home/jono/FGAircraft;
  • start the FlightGear Launcher, open the "Add-ons" tab, in the "Additional aircraft locations" section click "+" and select "/home/jono/FGAircraft" from the window that appears (note: you will need to do this only once).

By the way, with the newest FlightGear version you do not need to download official aircraft manually - just open the Aircraft tab, make sure the "Only show installed aircraft" checkbox is unchecked, choose the 777-200 and click on Run - the aircraft will be automatically downloaded from the official FlightGear hangar. (If, on the contrary, you are trying to run a 777-200 from a third-party hangar, you will need to follow the instructions I gave above).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby uwjono » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 pm

elgaton wrote in Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm:[*] start the FlightGear Launcher, open the "Add-ons" tab, in the "Additional aircraft locations" section click "+" and select "/home/jono/FGAircraft" from the window that appears (note: you will need to do this only once).
By the way, with the newest FlightGear version you do not need to download official aircraft manually - just open the Aircraft tab, make sure the "Only show installed aircraft" checkbox is unchecked, choose the 777-200 and click on Run - the aircraft will be automatically downloaded from the official FlightGear hangar. (If, on the contrary, you are trying to run a 777-200 from a third-party hangar, you will need to follow the instructions I gave above).

OK your instructions worked perfectly so thank you for that. I'm slowly getting the hang of FG.

With regards to your final comment though, I only downloaded a 777 bceuae I couldn't find one int he official list. The same with a A330. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

Anyway, thanks again.

jono
uwjono

Return to 3rd Party Repositories