Board index FlightGear Support 3rd Party Repositories

Distribution of unlicensed works by the FGMEMBERS organisati

Re: Distribution of unlicensed works by the FGMEMBERS organi

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Did you or did you not change the licence from GPL2 to GPL on the shuttle?

No.
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 12:35 pm:Hello - it's illegal. Is that so difficult to grasp?

Whatever the intention of the original author may have been, it's not up to you to guess. If you have no permission by the copyright holder, you can't license it yourself.

We've moved on from the erroneous adding of a licence to an unlicensed peice of work.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 pm:
Did you or did you not change the licence from GPL2 to GPL on the shuttle?

No.

OK then...
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Hooray - grow up.
Bomber

Postby Hooray » Sun May 29, 2016 12:48 pm

Bomber wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 12:45 pm:Hooray - grow up.

yeah, please do add a few more personal attacks to your postings, that will make it much easier to get this locked/deleted :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 12:50 pm

Hooray asking someone to grow up and join in the debate on a forum is not a personal attack...

Calling someone a parasite is though.
Bomber

Postby bugman » Sun May 29, 2016 12:51 pm

Bomber wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 12:43 pm:We've moved on from the erroneous adding of a licence to an unlicensed peice of work.

Let us then move to the 2nd illegal activity - the FGMEMBERS organization's illegal distribution of unlicensed content on GitHub.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't doubt the intentions were good. But the fact that these copyright violations happened is indicative of larger issues with FGMEMBERS. Yes, we've had some GPL violation incidents in fgdata/FGAddon too, but none involved something as blatant as making up licenses - that would simply never fly. Israel, with all due respect, seems to have a gross misunderstanding of copyright law and licensing. These legal problems, in addition to the author respect problems I also outlined, will always make FGMEMBERS controversial.

You've made your mind up it seems...

And it also seems it's not about an illegal action but about how blatant it is.

FGdata fgaddon has had problems in the past and were resolved.
But it's your opinion that a relatively new repository that as you admit is attempting to distribute with good intentions isn't allowed the same leniency.

And that's based on what. ... the obvious dislike of Thorsten and other members of this community towards the repositories creator?
Bomber

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 1:01 pm

bugman wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 12:51 pm:
Bomber wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 12:43 pm:We've moved on from the erroneous adding of a licence to an unlicensed peice of work.

Let us then move to the 2nd illegal activity - the FGMEMBERS organization's illegal distribution of unlicensed content on GitHub.

Regards,
Edward

Which might be in direct wishes of the author...

Have you contact the author, do you know of his displeasure?

Illegal or not.... the author has the right to allow Fgmembers to distribute his work...
Bomber

Postby bugman » Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Legally, you cannot make assumptions about the intent of the content creator, distribute the content, and wait to be told it is either legal or illegal. The content creator can take you to court if they wish - in their home country, where ever that may be - and they will, without doubt, be granted "damages" and you will have to pay their legal fees as well.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Hooray » Sun May 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Bomber wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 12:50 pm:Hooray asking someone to grow up and join in the debate on a forum is not a personal attack...

Calling someone a parasite is though.

As usual, you are not exactly trying hard not to come across as pretty uninformed, however the term "leeching" you are undoubtedly referring to, that has been seeing so much attention "elsewhere" is actually an established term in file sharing circles, i.e. those also involved in illegal stuff - which is why I made that reference in the context you conveniently omit.
Had you done a proper review of the posting, you would have noticed that I even used the term to describe myself whenever I just want to "use" a piece of software; I think I specifically mentioned nvidia graphics drivers - I couldn't care less about them not being open source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leech_%28computing%29

Thus, you are proving once again, that all you are interested in is dividing this community even further by misrepresenting what others have said, as long as you don't get to have your cake and eat it at the same time ... too bad, I know how this debate is gonna end - you apparently don't :mrgreen:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 1:12 pm

If you've not got any proof that the author hasn't given permission to distribute his work.... You're the one making assumptions.

Or you could try taking Fgmembers to court on his behalf...
Bomber

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Bugman please deal with hooray as he's trolling this topic...
Bomber

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Thorsten.... so you didn't do this then ?

And that's exactly the crime Thorsten commited when he deleted the GPL2+ copying file from the SpaceShutle repositories, and from FGADDon.
Bomber

Postby bugman » Sun May 29, 2016 1:18 pm

In copyright law, it is not up to me - a 4th party - to determine if there is permission or not. Anyway, in this case there simply is no permission.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd Party Repositories