Board index FlightGear Support 3rd Party Repositories

Distribution of unlicensed works by the FGMEMBERS organisati

Re: Distribution of unlicensed works by the FGMEMBERS organi

Postby rominet » Sun May 29, 2016 8:51 pm

So, it's okay to attack someone in a dark forest because the risk of being seen is very low? Wow...
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby skyop » Sun May 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Hooray wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 8:25 pm:suing could be considered ridiculous depending on how much development/activity the aircraft has seen since then, i.e. the intent of the aircraft developer was definitely having a single development stream, but for that actual "development" could be considered the prerequisite - i.e. if its development has obviously stalled by all standards, any attempts at suing would be almost certainly rejected in the line of the communicated intent of the creator of the original work.

Are you sure about "almost certainly?" The text of the license does not indicate anything about "active development," and that is what defines what's legal and what's not. Your supposition that the developer meant for development to continue, however likely, is just a guess.

Hooray wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 8:25 pm:Equally, the statement itself is hugely contradictory, too - i.e. mentioning upfront that the work is intended to become GPL, and even LGPL, while excluding commercial use is symptomatic for a deep misunderstanding of the correspondign licenses in the first place; as all of us should know by now, there's no way for GPL'ed software to be excluded from being commercialized.

This is irrelevant. It's not a GPL license, it's a statement that some future version that doesn't exist may be GPL-licensed.

And to play devil's advocate: perhaps he meant he won't ever commercialize his own work.

Hooray wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 8:25 pm:Thus, this case would stand on shaky grounds, if not even quicksand - at which point it ending up at fgmembers may not be the worst thing to happen ... :D

Perhaps so, with the original license intact.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Bomber » Sun May 29, 2016 9:13 pm

rominet wrote in Sun May 29, 2016 8:51 pm:So, it's okay to attack someone in a dark forest because the risk of being seen is very low? Wow...

Crickey you weren't so vocal when the excuse for getting away with it on fgaddon as opposed to fgmembers was that it wasn't so blatant.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby rominet » Sun May 29, 2016 9:24 pm

Er, can you quote me participating in that discussion? Somehow I doubt it...
rominet

Postby Bomber » Mon May 30, 2016 12:41 am

No because you were so quiet..... seems like you only have a problem when it comes to Fgmembers and copyright infringement. ..

And that'd be this discussion...
( I think...... Red wine alert )

A bit two faced I'd say
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby rominet » Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 am

You seem to assume I somehow read every FG-related discussion and approve every point of every message I don't explicitely reply to? Sorry, but that is a wrong assumption (which should not be much of a surprise to those who have followed this thread).

And now, you resort to ridiculous, kindergarten-level ad-hominem attacks? The last entrenchment, eh? I thought you were seeking help in understanding copyright and licenses—which this thread clearly shows you ought to be doing—but I was mistaken: you are just trolling. Sorry, I am not here for that. Goodbye.
rominet

Postby Bomber » Mon May 30, 2016 10:07 am

Heh if you only read half a conversation and then make a smart arsed comment like you did with the killing in the forest statement. Don't be too surprised if someone pulls you up on it.

If you don't like the 2 faced comment I think you need to grow a thicker skin...

Cause if I can be called a leech for simply wanting to protect my work from commercial use whilst at the same time giving it freely to Flightgear. Then I can surely call you to task for only listening to one side of the argument which you have now admitted too.

But please do explain how your comments were helping me understand copyright and licencing.. I'm all ears.
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 am

The risk being that an unrealistic law suit is attempted.....

I dunno - one of these days, you'll manage to annoy someone so much he gives GitHub a hint - then it's their legal liability and you can watch them pull the plug if they judge the legal risk different from you.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Mon May 30, 2016 10:37 am

There are some lawyers that will do almost anything when they smell money! For legal issues, never assume never ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Bomber » Mon May 30, 2016 10:54 am

Thorsten wrote in Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 am:
The risk being that an unrealistic law suit is attempted.....

I dunno - one of these days, you'll manage to annoy someone so much he gives GitHub a hint - then it's their legal liability and you can watch them pull the plug if they judge the legal risk different from you.

Is that a threat... ?
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 30, 2016 10:59 am

Well, if there's no legal risk in your opinion, it can't be a threat, because there's nothing being done wrong, right?
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Mon May 30, 2016 11:05 am

No that's not how threats work.....

It sounds to me like you were threatening Fgmembers....

The fact that I don't take you seriously or that I don't believe the outcome will be as you think.. just means that I think it's an empty threat.

But it's still a threat carried out by you on another member or group of members of this community.

You can back track all ya like but it's now public knowledge of what a nasty piece of work you are.
Bomber

Postby bugman » Mon May 30, 2016 11:14 am

This thread is now locked - it has degraded into personal attacks and a flamewar, and it contains no productive discussions about the original subject.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Previous

Return to 3rd Party Repositories