Board index FlightGear Support 3rd Party Repositories

FGMEMBERS: NONGPL!!!

FGMEMBERS: NONGPL!!!

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:05 am

Hi ALL

Today is the announcement of FGMEMBERS-NONGPL

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-NONGPL

This area/organization includes Flightgear Aircraft licensed in ways different to GPL, but such that allows

1) Copying , and
2) Redistribution

since the license covering those aircraft include these 2 clauses above, you are welcome to either download, and redistribute the code. This includes, naturally using github forking to create a repository of your own as well if so desired.

Most of these repositories are under license clauses that Allow modification, provided that copyleft is maintained. This means, that you can make modification, and share those modifications, but you can't release on a license different to that one you obtained. Example, if you modify a Creative Commons covered aircraft, then you can redistribute those changes, if you agree not changing the license indicated by previous copyright owners/ creators/ etc.

This means, that, if you make changes, but also agree with keeping the license indicated, you can create pull requests, to share those modifications with us

(alternatively, consider joinining FGMEMBERS-NONGPL organization to be able to commit directly yourself!)

All of the FGMEMBERS-NONGPL Aircraft forbid commercialization. You are not allowed to legally sell/purchase these. Or use them in any commercial endeavor!

A few Of those licenses forbid distribution of modification. These are know as NON_DERIVATIVE "ND" clause. In these cases, FGMEMBERs will not accept pull requests, and encourage you not to attempt distributing modified versions.

FGMEMBERS-NONGPL clarifies the license on a LICENSE or COPYING file in every aircraft root directory. Also in the description on the main page (in brackets).

Since most of these aircraft are Creative commons: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/ keep in mind

1. "BY" means Attribution. All creative commons includes this. It implies you have to acknowledge all previous copyright owners. You have to acknowledge the authors of the sources. Keeping clear commit logs is encouraged. AUTHORS.txt files is encouraged.

2. "NC" means: No commercial allowed

3. "SA" means: Share alike. Indicating that you can't release derivative work on different license than the one you are receiving the material

4. "ND" means: No derivative. You are not legally allowed to distribute modified versions of this work. FGMEMBERS will not accept pull request. These repos will say [==DO NOT MODIFY==] in the description and no FGMEMBERS have writte access to the repository!

Enjoy Flying

IH-COL
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Re: FGMEMBER. Restricted!!

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:15 am

Obtaining Restricted Aircraft as Submodules

For easying downloading and updating of restricted Aircrafts, I have prepared a "Primary Repository" with Restricted Aircraft as submodules.

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-NONGPL/FG-Aircraft-nonGPL

It can be used as an standalone Repository, by cloning it in any location of your computer, and redirecting your FG with the --fg-aircraft parameter (command line or any launcher ok)

The primary repository is under GPL v3 or later clauses, but each submodule is a repository with its own licensing clauses. initializing and updating any submodule is understood as an agreement to this license, and if disagreeing with the particular license of any given aircraft, simply deinitialize to uninstall.

1. Cloning

#clones the repo in the directory FG-Aircraft-nonGPL
Code: Select all
git clone git@github.com:FGMEMBERS-RESTRICTED/FG-Aircraft-nonGPL.git

2. Initializing a submodules

#initializes 2 restricted aircraft
cd FG-Aircraft-nonGPL
git submodule init DavePack
git submodule init il-96-400

3. Install/update initialized submodules

#it only executes in previously initialized submodules
git submodule update

4. deinitialize / uninstall a submodule

git submodule deinit DavePack

5. Without parameters it installs all restricted aircraft

git submodule init
git submodule update
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Re: FGMEMBER. Restricted!!

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:23 am

Using FGDATA next with submodules to manage the restricted Aircraft

The FG-Restricted Aircraft repository has been added as a submodule to FGDATA next with submodules, allowing you to install the aircrafts directly in FGROOT.

To maintain these isolated from GPL aircraft, the submodule has been placed in Aircraft-restricted directory, as oppose to Aircraft/ directory in FGDATA

As a consequence, you will need to update your --fg-aircraft parameter with this location

example

#this is required by the command line, or using any graphical launcher for flightgear!
fgfs --fg-root=$FG_ROOT --fg-aircraft=$FG_ROOT/Aircraft-nonGPL

After cloning (or pulling if you already cloned) FGDATA next with submodules

git clone http://git.code.sf.net/p/fgdata/submodules fgdata

or

cd fgdata
git pull

you can initialize the Aircraft-restricted submodule

cd fgdata
git submodule init Aircraft-nonGPL
git submodule update Aircraft-nonGPL

At this step, all content obtained is still GPL. it contains a README file and a series of empty directories inside Aircraft-restricted directory.

Once you do this, you can enter the Aircraft-restricted directory, and start obtaining Restricted Aircraft as sub-submodules. Keep in mind that non-GPL content will be fetched. Look in the Aircraft directory for COPYING or LICENSE file, and follow accordingly. If you disagree, simply deinitialize the respective aircraft to uninstall!!

cd fgdata
cd Aircraft-nonGPL
git submodule init DavePack
git submodule update

deinstalling

git submodule deinit DavePack

Have fun Flying

IH-COL
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Re: FGMEMBERS: Restricted!!

Postby daveculp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:20 am

This repository contains an RA-5 model of mine (derived from a Massimo Taccoli model). I was going to complain about my name being expunged from the release notes, but I see that I forgot to add my name to the notes. Oh well. That's a freebie for "JWocky" then. Nice model, "JWocky"! Where did you get it?
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:34 am

oh !? the RA-5 was originally by you! :D
Great job.
Dave you've got a fan!
;P

PS

Oh sure. The notes indicated M. Taccoli, but you weren't there to be found (in the zip file we began with)

I've tried my best not to "expunge" authors or notes. But that's correctible if some one needs to be added to acknowledgment, indeed!

Thanks for looking

[ https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=dave+culp ]

IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby daveculp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks IAHM-COL,

This FGMEMBERS:RESTRICTED thing is going to be interesting. I don't know enough about GIT to be a contributor (I have to print out a new cheat-sheet every time I'm forced to do something with GIT), nor do I have the time, so your copies of the Dave's Hangar airplanes will necessarily diverge from mine and from FGUK's. This is a good thing. It may get a little confusing for some users, especially when they ask for help and don't know where their model came from. And I see myself typing "I don't know" a lot :)

BTW, I just completed my once-every-six-months flurry of FG activity, so many of my models have new afterburners for FG 3.5+.

Dave
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:27 pm

I noticed that Dave [The cool new thruster-flames]

I got the ones as the last version of FGUK

The models could diverge but this is not necessary.
Basically, if no-one brings changes to them, divergence will not occur.

I will just keep fast-forwarding the zip releases over FGUK and thus keeping the collection updated.

If you wish to get more comfortable with git, do not doubt asking me or posting in these threads. I will come back at you as soon as I am able to, and I am sure other FGers are friendly about it too :D

In any case, if you find any model that's outdated, and you point me to a newer source the git repo can be "fast forwarded" to any newer state too. That way users can choose their "mirror" alike.

Finally, if someone bring changes over FGMEMBERS, I will always encourage you to take a look at them. If you review them and incorporate them in your work, and then polish them to "your style", I can then bring the repo back in sync to your own "hatch".

Best,
IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Re: FGMEMBERS: NON-GPL!!!

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:39 pm

@Ed. d'Auvergne (bugman)

Thanks! :D

1. you gave me the idea originally of cosidering hosting non-GPL aircraft as well.
2. As a second good tip, you indicated me to change the name from "RESTRICTED" to "nonGPL"

I think second above is also a very sane recommendation. It is more accurate and have more exact meaning behind our purpose, and as you pointed out, if follows well other projects' conventions.

I did as you indicated.

Now All is corrected recursively

A big big big thanks

IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Re: FGMEMBERS: NONGPL!!!

Postby Buckaroo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:10 am

My aircraft have been placed in this third-party repository without my knowledge and without my consent.

License freedoms aside, I respectfully request that the Optica and Goose models be removed. I'm happy to have those based on my MD80 remain.

-Buck
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Version: 2.10

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:12 am

Dear Buck
The release I used was from a previous Zip file of yours with the LICENSE clearly stating Creative Commons BY-NC-SA

Which means, I have uploaded this with your explicit consent.

Best,
IH-COL

Some reading material: https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2014/12/09/revoking-creative-commons-licenses/

On another topic, I want to re-raise the invitation to you that you release this work under GPL
Your Optica, your Goose, and your Velocity XL are among the most beautiful work on FG, and it really deserves a place in the Official Releases!

;)
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:59 am

Isreal, in this case I agree with buckaroo.
Legally you can, ethically, you shouldnt.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:03 am

This is in no way to be regarded as disrespect of Buck or Israel or anyone else mentioned in this post explicitly or implicitly.

I think what some pilots are really saying ( and I have a buddy that says this kind of stuff ) : "I wish people would leave my plane(s) alone until I'm done.

One attempt at controlling this situation globally, to keep the entire audience at bey is to say to a repository holder:

"Cease and desist including my plane until I say so!"

What I believe that request really means is:

"I don't want people pushing changes i'm not ready for, have planned down the road, have every intention of working on myself -- and if someone else does it well they are just interrupting my own personal hobby of working on these planes I work on. After all, this is art based on science, I'm an sci-artist, and i'm not asking for input like I would normally do by using the forum if i'm stuck on an issue."

Israel and any and all repo "keepers" can always claim what they have claimed:

"Your licence says I can, so you plane developers not wanting to co-operate with "repo-vision" have no argument and I am not hurting anything, not breaking any laws, and after all, you already share the work"

What some aircraft developers are saying is:
"Keep out! I'm not done yet. You repo guys could really screw this up for me." and I've heard that from several people. One of which is already very sorry he ever shared his work because someone fixed a path in his plane, and another, totally missing the point of where the plane's history is proper, completely re-named files, folders and paths, in order to put the plane out of historical order with other planes already in the repo.

Israel and repo keepers alike are correct.
Aircraft sci-artists and contributors alike are correct.

I hate it when no one is wrong and still no one is happy.
--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:07 am

This is not an issue of ethics. Each party is ethical. This is an issue of perspective.

The one side says x-num branches of my work hurts the entire effort.

The other side says, work in your own branch and be happy.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:07 am

I think you made a reference to me- I fixed the 737-300-cht, because there was a broken path, and so, I fixed it?
If not, well, I hope the charter va doesnt mind,
If yes, where did he say he was angry because someone FIXED his BROKEN plane?

But anyway, it is polite to ask.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:12 am

clrCoda wrote in Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:07 am:This is not an issue of ethics. Each party is ethical. This is an issue of perspective.

I am still bouncing my mind trying to understand your points above. But the one I quote here, I can agree completely.
There is not unethical behavior on either of us: Neither Buck, nor I are acting unethically.

He already conceded explicit unequivocal permission to share his work, if it remains under CC-BY-NC-SA. I respected the licensing restriction, and thus, I agreed with his initial intention. From there on, his second petition is that he wants to remove the license for me to use (with name on "me").
That's a bit more of a serious misunderstanding, and thus the law is protecting "me" in this case (with name in me)

Currently, there is no way to obtain buckaroo's aircraft. He has removed all zip files from his Hangar. So, the only way to share these, at the moment is FGMEMBERS-NONGPL.

In addition the path that Buck will be taking on his aircraft is uncertain at the best. In his hangar he switched the licenses to non-derivative, which will probably apply to all future work he releases. The zip I used was older than this change, and it remained "Share Alike".
When Buck releases publicly, if he does so with CC-BY-ND, FGMEMBERS-NONGPL can still accept that work, but it will place explicit restrictions on anybody to modify.

Buck work is beautifully done. And in that sense, I have already invited him (persistently) to release GPL and Officially for FG. There are reasons he has chosen not to.

Finally, I think Lego path fix over the 737-CHT is correct and thus applicable.
It is a legitimate fix.

Long time ago I notified Charter with a pull request which remain unattended
https://github.com/CharterAdmin/737-300-CHT/pull/1

Best,
IH-COL
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Next

Return to 3rd Party Repositories