Board index FlightGear Support 3rd Party Repositories

help request:: Bring the liveries home :D

Re: help request:: Bring the liveries home :D

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 1:35 am

themadgreek wrote in Thu May 07, 2015 7:06 pm:Perhaps you could create another branch for the git repo, entitled "all-liveries" or something along those lines which is identical to master, except for the livery folder. This way, people have the option to clone or download the version they prefer.

Best,
Phil

We proceeded along this lines. Just the other way around ;)
Optional is "remove the liveries"

:P

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/dhc6/commits/no-liveries
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 am

themadgreek wrote in Thu May 07, 2015 9:30 pm:
What's the point of having everyone's livery if I can't have everyone's plane? It defeats the entire purpose.

I guess this is clear now?
If you don't get the plane, you don't get its liveries.
Its all part of the modularity of the system
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 am

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 1:30 am:This is not big deal anymore, since the branch is created by reverting the commit, the development over the master branch can be just merged in at the time of release, or even more periodically.

Code: Select all
git checkout no-liveries
git merge master
git checkout master
git push origin --all

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something, but can we just walk through the process?

I understand that we can revert the commit for the liveries you've already added but I'm talking about in the future.

For example, say the developer works on his plane, comes out with a new release and pushes that to master.

Code (): Select all
git checkout no-liveries
makes sense but

git merge master
wouldn't this merge the liveries as well?
themadgreek

Callsign: MD-GRK

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 1:58 am

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 am:
themadgreek wrote in Thu May 07, 2015 9:30 pm:
What's the point of having everyone's livery if I can't have everyone's plane? It defeats the entire purpose.

I guess this is clear now?
If you don't get the plane, you don't get its liveries.
Its all part of the modularity of the system

This was in response to your point that everyone should have everyone's livery, but if the file sizes are too big just install which planes you want.
It was slightly sarcastic :wink:
themadgreek

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 2:00 am

themadgreek wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 am:
IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 1:30 am:This is not big deal anymore, since the branch is created by reverting the commit, the development over the master branch can be just merged in at the time of release, or even more periodically.

Code: Select all
git checkout no-liveries
git merge master
git checkout master
git push origin --all

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something, but can we just walk through the process?

I understand that we can revert the commit for the liveries you've already added but I'm talking about in the future.

For example, say the developer works on his plane, comes out with a new release and pushes that to master.

git checkout no-liveries
makes sense but

git merge master

Nevermind I read up the specifics of the git merge documentation and if done properly it should work as you stated.
themadgreek

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 2:04 am

git merge master

It doesnt :D
Not the old liveries already reverted.
If another commit brings new liveries, then yes. == but then its just a matter of reverting that one as well :D
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Fri May 08, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 am

themadgreek wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 2:00 am:Nevermind I read up the specifics of the git merge documentation and if done properly it should work as you stated.

Yup! :D

Now The c172p went throught the same treatment. And not only I imported the 5 liveries of the database, but also the new 10 from the detailed project :D

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/c172p
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/c172p/tree/no-liveries
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/c172p/commits/no-liveries
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 am

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 2:04 am:
git merge master

It doesnt :D
Not the old liveries already reverted.
If another commit brings new liveries, then yes.

Yep that makes sense. Something to make the developers of those specific planes aware of.
themadgreek

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 am

themadgreek wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 am:

Yep that makes sense. Something to make the developers of those specific planes aware of.

I dont think is necessary. New liveries can be brougth up to the master branch. Then merge into the no-liveries branch, and then the commit reverted.
The reversal of "only new livery" commits into the "no-liveries" branch is by FGMEMBERs policy, and the author need not to be aware of that.
(although he may be happy to know such commit will be reverted over the no-liveries branch, which kinda make sense, as the name implies)

Revert is great tool.
It only adds 1 commit in the history log. The effect on repo size is neglectible. (maybe 4k)
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 2:33 am

@Phil
Per our earlier discussion these are the aircraft majorly affected

Aircraft is initially of small size
The livery package adds a significant amount of size leading to more than doubling the unpacked aircraft size, so adding the liveries had a significant effect on package size

These are (so far detected)

b1900d :: no-liveries branch provided for smaller download
c172p :: no-liveries branch provided for smaller download
dhc6 :: no-liveries branch provided for smaller download
dhc2 :: no-liveries branch provided for smaller download
777 :: no-liveries branch provided for smaller download

All other aircraft, the addition of liveries imply a very small percentage increase in the aircraft size, thus currently only the master branch exist.

Again, keep an eye on possible additional aircraft that for their situation deserve this treatment ;)

Thanks

IH-COL

PS

About the git merge strategy:
Here you can see the technique "in action"

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/dhc2/commits/no-liveries
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri May 08, 2015 8:21 am

Most/All FGUK planes have many, many liveries. They may have a bit of an increase.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 3:42 pm

I think they don't have optional liveries. That I know off

Thus their increase is zero
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 5:25 pm

@Phil

One of your favorite aircraft:: The B707 by M. Krauss

Just to leave you a note phil
I already imported the liveries from the Database into the 707. But I wanted to outline how interesting of a case this is

1. It is one of your favorite aircraft. Yet, by default, IT HAS all of the liveries installed. In fact, many of its liveries had never been imported into the database. Clearly, Herr Krauss preference is to have them installed, instead of optional. Had you found this unfair before?

2. After passing over all of the liveries in the database, I found that most of these are legacy. They were useable for the previous map over I. Cunnigham aircraft, and many of this liveries are of no use to the current 707. I, off course, skip transferring these "now" useless liveries over

3. Only one livery was imported from the database since it was never added to the 707 model hosted in FGMEMBERs. http://liveries.flightgear.org/liveries.php?id=1243

I patched this, and now the Saudia Livery is also added. But obviously only 1 added livery has very small effect on the plane size.
A few days ago, Herr Krauss himself transferred the few new liveries he knew off over the model:

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/707/commit ... 0c2a4fb5f0

Clearly, the 707 as a golden-standard for how aircraft should be made and distributed, had chosen installed liveries over non-installed liveries.

Just think about too :D

(although I do understand we reached an agreement over a few aircrafts having a "no-livery" branch)
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 6:11 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 am:
themadgreek wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 am:

I dont think is necessary. New liveries can be brougth up to the master branch. Then merge into the no-liveries branch, and then the commit reverted.
The reversal of "only new livery" commits into the "no-liveries" branch is by FGMEMBERs policy, and the author need not to be aware of that.
(although he may be happy to know such commit will be reverted over the no-liveries branch, which kinda make sense, as the name implies)

Revert is great tool.
It only adds 1 commit in the history log. The effect on repo size is neglectible. (maybe 4k)

I suggested this, so that the people maintain these repositories know what's going on and how the setup works. Or are you going to do it manually for them every time they release a new plane?
Do consider what I mentioned about you being a "gatekeeper" for repositories -- we want the developers to be independent of you for the system to work. If they don't know how to update that branch, then they rely on you and the availability of that branch also depends on you.

It makes it easier for everyone, if you take the 2 minutes to explain to those 5 developers/teams what the purpose of that branch is, and how to keep it updated (the 3 or 4 git commands) when they release a new master.

"...FGMEMBERs policy, and the author need not to be aware of that. " -- again, a dangerous precedent. We are manipulating an authors repository without them knowing? No, it won't affect their master branch (besides the added liveries you put), but it does affect their repository.
themadgreek

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 6:14 pm

yup. It makes sense Phil

If there is another branch with extra feature, its better people knowing that not-knowing ;)
You have not told me yet if the setup as it is now works for you

Israel
IAHM-COL
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd Party Repositories