Board index FlightGear Support 3rd Party Repositories

help request:: Bring the liveries home :D

Re: help request:: Bring the liveries home :D

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Some of the liveries of the B1900D and the B752 had been now reverted. They also do not apply anymore over new remapped textures.
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 6:18 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 5:25 pm:@Phil

One of your favorite aircraft:: The B707 by M. Krauss

Just to leave you a note phil
I already imported the liveries from the Database into the 707. But I wanted to outline how interesting of a case this is

1. It is one of your favorite aircraft. Yet, by default, IT HAS all of the liveries installed. In fact, many of its liveries had never been imported into the database. Clearly, Herr Krauss preference is to have them installed, instead of optional. Had you found this unfair before?

2. After passing over all of the liveries in the database, I found that most of these are legacy. They were useable for the previous map over I. Cunnigham aircraft, and many of this liveries are of no use to the current 707. I, off course, skip transferring these "now" useless liveries over

3. Only one livery was imported from the database since it was never added to the 707 model hosted in FGMEMBERs. http://liveries.flightgear.org/liveries.php?id=1243

I patched this, and now the Saudia Livery is also added. But obviously only 1 added livery has very small effect on the plane size.
A few days ago, Herr Krauss himself transferred the few new liveries he knew off over the model:

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/707/commit ... 0c2a4fb5f0

Clearly, the 707 as a golden-standard for how aircraft should be made and distributed, had chosen installed liveries over non-installed liveries.

Just think about too :D

(although I do understand we reached an agreement over a few aircrafts having a "no-livery" branch)

The version I have the aircraft, which was from MK's website, and not FGMembers does not have all of the liveries. Only about 5 or 6 for the standard 707 and a handful for the EC/KC.

This question is also not emotional. It's not about being "fair" and "unfair", it's about being practical. I also don't understand why you're bringing up 1 plane. We both agreed that there are many different cases and exceptions...

In conclusion: I don't understand why you have to bring up this point again and again. We agreed that for some planes, the effect is small. We agreed that for those, we will include the extra liveries. We agreed that for some planes it has a dramatic effect, and we have solved that by making a separate branch:

We came up with an excellent compromise..... so why do you still feel like you have to "prove" yourself right and "prove" me wrong for a point as small as 1 plane? It's unnecessary, and it's a waste of everyone's time. You don't have to be make your case 3 times, this is not a court with a jury.

"(although I do understand we reached an agreement over a few aircrafts having a "no-livery" branch)" -- EXACTLY

We've come up with an agreement which works, now let's move on.
themadgreek

Callsign: MD-GRK

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 6:19 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 6:16 pm:Some of the liveries of the B1900D and the B752 had been now reverted. They also do not apply anymore over new remapped textures.
IH-COL

Excellent. I was not aware of the remapped textures.

Again, thank you for putting all the time in to do this.
themadgreek

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 6:21 pm

yup
I think the point being really, if you find another aircraft where a "no-livery" branch may be a good addition, just let me know
(or even feel free to create the branch and publish it :) )
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 6:24 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 6:21 pm:yup
I think the point being really, if you find another aircraft where a "no-livery" branch may be a good addition, just let me know
(or even feel free to create the branch and publish it :) )

I will keep my eyes open, and should be able to make that branch given the sample code you've given.

Either way, I'll let you know if I find another plane it could be useful for.

Best,
Phil
themadgreek

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 6:26 pm

themadgreek wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 6:19 pm:
Again, thank you for putting all the time in to do this.

Your welcome.
I began thinking this updating the liveries being some sort of a nice luxury to have. Now I am falling in the category that is a required fix.

1. Some aircrafts had been retexturized. Old liveries are no longer applicable, but they still reside in the database.
2. Some liveries, after unpacking bring unnecessary files (not pngs, or xmls). Those files are to say the least suspicious, and I remove them before pushing. (except cases where they are just readme files)
3. Some liveries install in awkward paths, I am relocating them in the standard Model/Liveries or the appropriate case for each of these. Frequently it requires adjustment in the xmls
4. some liveries are plain wrong. like calling the png file with a wrong name. Or sometimes they would only work in a OS that disregards capitalization. This is also being corrected.

The case scenerios where things go -unstandard- just keep growing, which make livery installation something less of a simple task, and thus having them installed makes some good service too.
It s sort of aircraft maintenance.

Best,
IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 6:28 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 6:26 pm:2. Some liveries, after unpacking bring unnecessary files (not pngs, or xmls). Those files are to say the least suspicious, and I remove them before pushing. (except cases where they are just readme files)

Are you testing that the liveries still work then?
Last edited by themadgreek on Fri May 08, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themadgreek

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 6:33 pm

themadgreek wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 6:24 pm:Either way, I'll let you know if I find another plane it could be useful for.

Best,
Phil

Very appreciated ;)
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 6:35 pm

Random sampling. Yes
All liveries, not. Specially if one or two work well within a given aircraft I move on.

When I have to redirect a png file I test it.
I found several cases that it actually provided a fix (from not-working to working)
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby themadgreek » Fri May 08, 2015 8:37 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 6:35 pm:Random sampling. Yes
All liveries, not. Specially if one or two work well within a given aircraft I move on.

When I have to redirect a png file I test it.
I found several cases that it actually provided a fix (from not-working to working)

Sounds good. Well done.

I would just recommend spending more attention if you have to remove files as you stated earlier. If you're just importing png's and xml's it should be fine.
themadgreek

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 08, 2015 8:56 pm

themadgreek wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 8:37 pm: If you're just importing png's and xml's it should be fine.

* and converting to png
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/fokker50/c ... db7b8bdef2
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 23, 2015 7:50 pm

@ALL

The complete collection of the Flightgear Livery database is now installed

A total of 981 Liveries in 96 aircraft were installed!

Every Functional livery from the Livery database is installed in the FGMEMBERs area
Most of them have also been tested "on game".

The great majority of these liveries are stunning artwork =Kudo's to the creators of these 1000 liveries in the time of the last 10years

Several liveries in the database do not work as is:

1) a fix had been provided when this is possible
2) or the livery has not been uploaded or the commit has been reverted if applicable. These cases are mostly the unfortunate consequence of aircraft remapping
3) some Liveries in the Flightgear Livery database only apply to Creative Commons Licensed aircraft, and therefore these have not been uploaded to FGMEMBERs (since the aircraft is not available there)
4) A non-ISO character (like accented latin characters) in the livery name field in the xml causes a fatal bug. This characters had been replaced when required (or a "UTF-8" encoding note placed in the xml header, fixing this fatal bug)
5) Many liveries in the Flightgear database are packed inapropriately, expanding files in directories other than Models/Liveries. This has been corrected all over each instance, and the xmls corrected for the new locations to be fuctional
6) All Paintkits in the Flightgear Livery database had also been imported to the FGMEMBERs repositories under Paintkit/ Directory for applicable aircraft
7) Two of the Liveries of the database are fatally and incorrectible broken. Either the Zip does not expand, or the png is corrupted. These are Lockheed-F104 and Britten Islander BN-2 Liveries (one for each). A person technically skilled to provide a fix, if able, is wanted
8 ) The livery for the Noratlas is still pending, due to this aircraft not having a "livery" ready code.
9) All liveries installed are in png format. Otherwise were converted to this format during the installation proccess
10) Unnecesary files --such as Thumbs.db, or other "SPAM" text documents with urls or redirections were not uploaded, and were eliminated during the import
11) All files in the liveries were formatted properly (EOF, and atypical EOLs were standardized, BOM strings removed)

Everyone:

Enjoy Flying in full technicolor :P

Best
IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby gooneybird » Sun May 24, 2015 12:03 am

I hope you are going to name the authors of each livery, as per the database, as at the moment you give the impression that some liveries have been created by someone other than the original author.

Double check your T-6's
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun May 24, 2015 12:19 am

Thanks for the note over the T6

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/North-Amer ... c06409225a

Now I patched that.
I can understand how I skipped it!? (in my file of progress it was click as "done" ... :( )

I managed to add the Authors of every livery in the commit log, and in most cases I linked the url to the FG database as well in the log.
I couldn't possibly ask every livery maker to commit these by themselves, but luckily both the planes and all liveries on the database were on GPL2 terms.
Authors are thus, all, mentioned in the commit log messages.

Do you suggest alternative "name-tagging" as an appropriate approach here?

Best,
IH-COL

(and thanks for the hundreds of amazing artwork Gooney! :P )
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby gooneybird » Sun May 24, 2015 5:07 pm

All you need is a simple "read me" listing who was responsible for each livery as heljah does with his models.
If you are going to collect data from various sources it's just common courtesy to indicate who is the creator of that data so they can be easily contacted if need be.
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd Party Repositories