Board index FlightGear Support 3rd Party Repositories

Cloning fgdata with GIT submodules

Re: Cloning fgdata with GIT submodules

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Well it's been three days since I sent my email about the download function, to GitHub, and yet no response... :?:
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Do you mind send me the screenshots you mentioned? I'll bug them too.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Buckaroo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Github likely has a few other things on their mind right now, being under a highly organized and heavy DDoS attack for the last three or four days.

-Buck
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:08 pm

yikes

It works on my side ok so far.
And last updates were by Mark Kraus on several of his motorcycles.

He seems to had done ok.

Is someone having issues with this attack github's having?
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby wlbragg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:15 pm

That doesn't surprise me, I was having a heck of a time getting stuff off and on their servers the last couple days. It was inconsistent though.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:14 pm

New Aircraft! :D

Thanks to Thorsten B for taking it to the Space Age

Now, FGDATA next with Submodules allows fetching of the newest advances in the Shuttle

Code: Select all
Aircraft/SpaceShuttle
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:13 am

FGDATA next with submodules up2date with SVN revision 498

This includes the commits REV490 and REV497 by Edward D'Avergne

The REV490 is an empty commit for any repository affected. This only sets to do some improvement on the SVN repository --so now, the subversion repository treats xml as text files not as binary
The rebase onto the git area is done for continuity purposes, and it does not affect any file, nor it changes any property on the repository.

The REV497 is done to eliminate executable files from aircraft directories in UNIX, LINUX, and MACOS-X Operating systems, setting the files to be read/writable only (rw--r--r--).

I completed the task of REV497 for all NON-SVN aircraft as well.

Best,
IHCOL

Reminder

For all users of the FGDATA next (FG ver 3.5) with submodules. The initialized aircraft can be readily updatable with

git pull
git submodule update
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:44 pm

NEW AIRCRAFT :D

Today we have a new released aircraft, the Antonov 24B

(also in SVN!)

And now it can also be cloned via FGMEMBERS and via FGDATA Next With Submodules:
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/an24b

Aircraft/an24b
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:55 am

Three Additional Aircraft in FGMEMBERS and FGDATA Next With Submodules

From the Work of Lesbof, three new Submodules added to FGDATA NEXT with Submodules

Aircraft/Caudron-C1
Aircraft/Bleriot-XI-2
Aircraft/Aviatik-BII

All of these are very cool early aviation jewels. And an important part of Lesbof's own WWI Simulation in FG.

Also, he provided new branches for other planes such as

Aircraft/DO-228
Aircraft/DO-28
Aircraft/Kombi
Aircraft/Gotha-G-V
Aircraft/Horsa

Enjoy!
IH-COL

@Lester

Thanks for these new 3 GPL releases too !! :D
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Lester: Windows is a virus disguising itself as an operating system. So you may want to go for a Linux (many distributions available for the personal taste) and get it for free.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Johan G » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Jabberwocky wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:28 pm:Windows is a virus disguising itself as an operating system.

Naah:
Reasons Why Windows Is Not A Virus:
1. Viruses are free.
2. Viruses don't take up most of your hard drive.
3. Viruses don't need 80 megs of RAM.
4. Viruses don't have major bugs.
5. Viruses don't have three different sets of documentation.
6. Viruses don't leak info to the press about the upcoming Jerusalem 95, to keep people from switching to Michelangelo/2 Warp.
7. Viruses aren't on every computer.
8. Nobody cares if a virus turns out to be 16 bit, even though it is advertised as 32...
9. Viruses install themselves!

See also: Is Windows a Virus :wink: :lol:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Awesome ! ROFL_Loud the second time today!

I use to call it Virus XP, but now Johan G has me all convinced of the contrary!

such a superb post.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:41 pm

OTOH

May I suggest, politely, that I think inviting someone to switch OS should be done with some caution, and respecting the individual reasons for the decision taken?

Lester already disclaimed he is not in the position, or interest of upgrading to a new Windows version (unless Lego buys him the OS, and probably a capable computer)

Also, he disclaimed he finds Linux a rather overwhelming task altogether.

so our criticizing his OS helps no-one.
Oppositely, he is currently struggling to update FG from 2.12, and by PM he wrote me, he is also struggling to get himself to share his development on Git.

I am sure he will appreciate polite help, in every of these cases.

He mentioned somewhere his wanting to go FG 3.5, which I found too much of a bleeding edge for him. And I do not know the details of his setup, but I am almost sure Windows XP is NOT part of the problem. Does he have a current git version of FGDATA? or is he trying to run FG with the oldest FGDATA he had? That may make quite some difference.

So, briefly, I think we could help Lester with his system Setup, but telling him to ditch his computer and his OS alltogether does not strike me as the immediate solution, nor the one that we might be correctly advising.

IHCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Buckaroo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 pm

onox wrote in Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:55 pm:@LesterBoffo May I ask why you're still using XP? :shock: Even MS doesn't support it anymore.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:06 pm:Why not upgrade to Win 7? It is much better, with more features. I do not recommend 8. 7 is much better asthestically, and has better support. (Or rather XP has no support)

Jabberwocky wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:28 pm:Lester: Windows is a virus disguising itself as an operating system. So you may want to go for a Linux (many distributions available for the personal taste) and get it for free.

+1 to IHCOL's comments on badgering people about their OS.

Speaking as a user of both Windows and Linux platforms and one who has built both Linux and Windows servers professionally, I would like to suggest that it is not anyone else's business why someone runs a particular operating system. That is not our purpose here and is not the topic of this thread.

-Buck
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 pm

amusingly, the people now telling others to switch from Windows to Linux for some "geeky reasons" are the exact same ones who complain about others being "geeks" when talking to them about their way of using FG or using FG internals like Nasal.

I am a Linux user myself, so I have no agenda here. But these double standards are kinda funny... especially because folks like Jabberwocky keep complaining that FG, as a project and community, would be so unfriendly to end-users and that we should grow a community of end-users who may become "contributors" at some point - without realizing that requiring/suggesting a switch to different OS may very well contribute to alienating newcomers, unnecessarily so:

FlightGear is a piece of cross-platform software, and the more platforms/use-cases it supports, the better its code base will become over time.

Equally, it is generally not a good idea to tell others to switch away from Intel or ATI/AMD hardware to Nvidia graphics cards for the same reasons - seriously: all of you are getting to shape the way FlightGear will work 5+ years from now to varying degrees (depending on your own involvement) - no matter if that means OS/platform support, 32 bit support, CPU/RAM requirements or VRAM/GPUs/graphics cards.

There are a few users wanting to run FlightGear on mobile devices or gaming consoles - others want to use it for UAV stuff, and even others want to run it in "headless" mode, without displaying any graphics at all (certainly not Rembrandt/ALS or other effect/shader stuff) - all of those are valid use-cases, as is running FlightGear on an outdated OS, including even on 10-year old hardware with a nvidia 7600 GPU - ideally, FlightGear should "just work", using what's available - analogous to installing a modern Linux 3.0 distro on a 586 PC with 133 mhz and 32 mb of RAM - give it a try, it actually works reasonably well :D

And then we have people like home cockpit builders wanting to use FG just for visuals, without wanting to run any Nasal at all, ideally getting rock-solid >= 60 hz/fps.

Admittedly, FlightGear isn't quite there yet - but things like the "minimal startup profile" already demonstrate that it is feasible to provide a "safe mode" when booting FlightGear, and incrementally raise system requirements along the line - not unlike your OS "booting" (POST, BIOS, real mode, protected mode etc).

Whenever we tell people to abandon some OS/platform/hardware or use-case in favor of a better-supported alternative, we're also weakening FlightGear as an open source project. The number of Windows-based contributors (especially core developers) is already surpringly small, and we should embrace anybody wanting to use FG on such platforms, especially if that means helping with testing - as that will help those few actually developing on Windows.

FlightGear already tends to attract more geeks than end-users - even people with a strong background in flight simulation and aviation are unlikely to be really interested in FG, unless they also happen to have a "tinkerer's mentality" and ideally some background in Unix/Linux or software development/open source in general.

The FlightGear project could be in a much better shape by having more Windows-based contributors, which even includes outdated versions of Windows.
As a communtiy we're doing a disservices to ourselves by expecting people to have the background of CS gradudates to install and configuure, let alone use/fly FG.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd Party Repositories