Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events Air traffic control

Julien just took full control of KSFO.

ATC systems, events and procedures.

Julien just took full control of KSFO.

Postby ATCLuke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:51 pm

Me (as KSFO_GN) and someone as KSFO_TW were controlling KSFO earlier today. (noobs controlling noobs :) )
When someone with the callsign KSFO joined us, mumble nick Julien, we offered him a position as sector control, but he started taking all strips and did not respond to any handover requests. When he started giving landing clearances, KSFO_TW got angry and left. Because he did not handover any strips from inbound flights and immediately took all outbound strips, I left soon after.
Do you guys know what to do in such a situation?

Nice Flights,
ATC Luke
ATCLuke

Callsign: ICAO_GN
Version: OpenRadar

Re: Julien just took full control of KSFO.

Postby PINTO » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:19 am

[terrible advice]
Troll back. Yell at him that "he's a nub and should get rekt", and other such things.
Get F-14's, and declare everything in a 80 mile radius of KSUU or KNUQ as an "emergency restricted area due to possibly invading North Koreans", and enforce it.
Fly low over KSFO, etc.
At least, that's what I'd do.
[/terrible advice]

In all reality, not much you can do unfortunately. That's just the way FG multiplayer works.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:26 am

Ignore him and tell everyone else to too.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby mickybadia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:32 am

Hello,
Ignoring is most obviously the best thing, and for the time being, also the only thing possible... ATC clients will allow you to tick an "ignore" box to grey out the trolls so that you can work comfortably with the rest of your traffic. ATC-pie allows you to blacklist callsigns from the text chat system as well. But nothing can filter the audio channel for example.

A persistent problem in such case (not solved by ignoring) is that it prevents OpenRadar users from taking over the strips, and both OpenRadar and ATC-pie users from handing them over since OR ownership is still technically required for that. One could consider dropping the concept of exclusive ownership over the network, but besides being a design choice by OpenRadar dev&testers more than a bug, it will arguably not solve the issue of a network open to party breakers. Down the line you ALWAYS need some form of cooperation between neighbouring ATCs.

Lastly, if you want a constructive session, avoid SanFran and establish somewhere that is not just a sandbox for people not all even knowing they are connected to MP!
mickybadia

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:35 am

ATCLuke wrote in Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:51 pm:Me (as KSFO_GN) and someone as KSFO_TW were controlling KSFO earlier today. (noobs controlling noobs :) )

By coincidence I was circling overhead at the time for the purposes of monitoring ATC and caught the end of this.

During the period I was watching there was a fair amount of noobness from KSFO_TW; incorrect procedures, bad language, frustration, confusion over active runways and anger towards pilots didn't want to play the ATC game.

When KSFO joined he initially asked permission to control a few aircraft and after a while just took over. I'm remaining impartial on the rights or wrongs of this.

KSFO_GN: you were trying and doing a better job and no bad language.

Anyone involved in ATC should read and use http://wiki.flightgear.org/ATC_phraseology, http://wiki.flightgear.org/ATC_Tutorial and it helps if controllers have trained themselves (e.g. http://www.vatusa.net/training/tiki-index.php)

Finally I don't think there is an excuse for language and attitude from KSFO_TW(unknown identity) in my screenshot; I'm sure there was a lot of anger and frustration at this point but even so that's no excuse for it.

Richard

Version: Git

Postby mickybadia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Certainly, any insult from an ATC is a mistake. In aviation, I see *NO* scenario in which it would be the right thing to use a bandwidth with.

Anyway, let me just jump on the training bit of your post, since I can place a piece of advertisement, and I'll be glad if my work can help:
Richard wrote in Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:35 am:Anyone involved in ATC should read [...] and it helps if controllers have trained themselves (e.g. http://www.vatusa.net/training/tiki-index.php)

ATC-pie offers a solo mode for such training, where you can choose to play APP, DEP, TWR, and any combination of those. A new CTR mode is coming soon (currently under test); unfortunately no GND (yet?). Do not hesitate to try and even send me feedback so that I know it is used a little, solo usage is partly a mystery to me :-)
mickybadia

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:33 pm

Well, Julien did say me to teach him ATC, but it didn't get anywhere. He still doesn't know what he is doing, so beware!
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby morlanius » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Looks to me like KSFO was doing the better job and took over because KSFO_TW was being inappropriate, and his grabbing ground was probably a mistake that can happen when you get busy (If you are solo in an airport for a long period you tend to handle ground as a matter of course and its very easy to forget when someone is on ground, just trying to keep the flow going)

I think the guy who posted the links gave he best advice in this thread, I'm a newbie and still learning myself so I am in no way taking any high ground, but I would offer a further price of advice for newbie ATC's;

Slow down, anticipate who is going where and be consistent. When you take that extra 10 secs before keying your mic or giving someone a vector you have that time to get get it right, to remember you have ground, remind your which FL they should be coming in on and also to remember to select the right strip before giving a vector (My bad habit).
morlanius

Return to Air traffic control