Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

SOLO, GND handower TWR working wrong way

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

SOLO, GND handower TWR working wrong way

Postby LoCall » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:07 am

this a "companion error" of the 2 precedents:
- SOLO, Procedure Error, landed planes report vacated in SLA
- report vacated when still in SLA

While plane is holding short at ILS or Security line the TWR do not still accept handover from GND.

GND have to instruct plane to "enter the plane on the RWY / line up " then he become able to handover to TWR" ...

expected :

TWR should accept handover from any point --before-- SLA on taxiway .

This would allow the "immediate" clearance.

Thank you

Kind Regards
LoCall

Re: SOLO, GND handower TWR working wrong way

Postby mickybadia » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:49 pm

The problem when designing the solo behaviour was to find something acceptable for all airports without asking the user to manually program local rules at every new airport, when they could be inferred from the taxiway layout or reasonably approximated. All of it with extremely noisy data: taxiways missing, lack of apt.dat conventions for names or of spec for various features like stop lines... For the H/O to TWR, aircraft must also report ready for departure before TKOF clearance can be expected, which had to be somewhere ATC-pie could guess the taxi route for line-up without tedious implementation only for local exceptions.

I remember it being an interesting challenge, but not an easy balance to strike. The present compromise is: GND hands over to TWR when aircraft is ready, which is only reported by ACFT if it knows its departure RWY and is near its first half.

So of course there would be many possible adjustments but the following statement is in theory incorrect.
LoCall wrote in Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:07 am:GND have to instruct plane to "enter the plane on the RWY / line up " then he become able to handover to TWR" ...

If you bring the ACFT near enough it should report ready for DEP without your having to taxi it onto the runway.
mickybadia

Re: SOLO, GND handower TWR working wrong way

Postby LoCall » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:50 pm

thanks for the reply / sharing.

+1 about "noisy data" and all the rest. You have done an amazing job. No one can touch this.

I am not suggesting any deep change here.

I did not have dived in your code, but as far I can judge by the behaviour, your code already "take in account" in some way some "RWY dimensions".
(Probably the "reasonable approximated" you was talking about)

In RL the RWY is enlarged/augmented by a side security area
(size depending of the airport category)
but about 60 m from the RWY centerline.

Planes are kept out to avoid "masking" any part the ILS/LOC signal.
Assuming the sLOC signal come from the RWY end - with an angle of +/- 10° = the triangle is easy to draw...

But even without "going that far",
what if,
was implemented a rule simply keeping a plane "continue to vacate" until >60 m away from RWY centerline ?
Then he would report "vacated" ...

Then the same could be used -
i.e. when "no advanced rule" available
to define the limit where to hand over GND->TWR

And this would even allow to implement
the clearance for the "immediate"
clearance that should happen -- !! while taxing !! -- but already close the RWY ...

Regards
LoCall

Return to ATC-pie