Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

Connecting to Student

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

Connecting to Student

Postby ATCGeek123 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:15 am

Hello,

I am having a little bit of trouble with the whole student-teacher connection, and I was hoping to get some help here. For the past 2 days, I've looked for any forum post or documentation about how to go about this, but there isn't anything I can find. We have both downloaded Atc-pie, and we have even created a network on LogMeIn Hamachi. When we try connecting, it says, connection failed check service port and host. We have been using the 5000 port because we don' t know what else to use. And we have tried every IPv4 and IPv6 address we can. Are there any additional steps we need to be taking to connect besides just installing ATC-Pie itself? Love the simulator, just trying to get it to work in teacher student mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ATCGeek123

Re: Connecting to Student

Postby mickybadia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:58 am

Hi,
<OT> Thanks for this rare occasion where I see that this mode is actually used by people. ^^ Although schools have even approached me about it, I have very little positive evidence that it has users! Whatever. </OT>

My guess is that this is addressed by question 1.8 in the current FAQ. If so you will find two solutions in the answer there.
You can test the feature straight away with both teacher and student on the same machine (host = "localhost"; port 5000 should be fine).
mickybadia

Postby ATCGeek123 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I actually did read that before, but I'm still a little confused.

When looking at the question 1.8 in the FAQ, it just doesn't completely address the entire process. As mentioned earlier, we have tried both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. I don't know what we're doing wrong? I'll explain the process that we go through.

First, I set up a teacher host with port being set to 5000. Then I ask him to connect as a student. When he does that it asks for a Teacher host. We assume that this is where the IP address goes. Question 1.8 in the FAQ says use a VPN if the first IPv4 does not work. That is why we are using hamachi. So he puts in the port 5000 and also uses my IPv4 address. We also tried it with IPv6. It keeps on saying connection failed. We have different networks.

I notice there is a discrepancy in your last sentence and with what I am experiencing, and this may be the problem. How would one be both teacher and student on same machine? When I click teacher connection, I can no longer be a student because it is greyed out.

Really want to get this working so we can use it, and if there is a way I could get a step by step guide on it. It's just not as completely documented as some other features are.

"for the teacher to configure his router to forward TCP packets from his router's IP and chosen service port to his local host address" I don't understand what this means

Thanks for the help!
ATCGeek123

Postby mickybadia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm

The easy part first:
ATCGeek123 wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:58 pm:How would one be both teacher and student on same machine?

By starting two separate instances of ATC-pie. Start a teacher and open the service on port 5000. Run a separate ATC-pie process and connect as student to "localhost" on port 5000. You should see it working, and you can start learning to be a teacher on your own for a start. :-p

The rest is beyond the scope of ATC-pie. What you need is that the teacher's INET address be accessible to the student, which will not be the case if on different home networks. Hamachi is a solution (I know for a fact some have done it that way). It will help you create a virtual network but I do not know the process (you need an account, etc.).
The other solution:
ATCGeek123 wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:58 pm:"for the teacher to configure his router to forward TCP packets from his router's IP and chosen service port to his local host address" I don't understand what this means

This will be dependent on your router and provider options. But most likely you can configure your internet router (which has a public IP, say XYZ, for you to figure out) to forward TCP packets from one of its ports (say 5000 there too) to your host (which has a local IP, for you to figure out too) on the port you open in ATC-pie. Then student can connect to XYZ:5000.
mickybadia

Postby ATCGeek123 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:33 pm

Okay, I will definitely try all of that! Thanks!

Just to confirm, the IP address is what goes in the blank when it asks for teacher host correct?
ATCGeek123

Postby ATCGeek123 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Do you by any chance know of anyone or how I could learn exactly how to do the VPN connection?
ATCGeek123

Postby mickybadia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi,
ATCGeek123 wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:33 pm:Just to confirm, the IP address is what goes in the blank when it asks for teacher host correct?

mickybadia wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm:Then student can connect to XYZ:5000.

Yes, the aboove meant:
  • host = XYZ
  • port = 5000

In my example, XYZ is the router's internet address (possibly but not necessarily a fixed one, e.g. if restarted). The teacher's local IP (also fixed or changing, though this you may have control on) must also be found and input somewhere in the port forwarding interface of the router to identify the teacher's machine.

ATCGeek123 wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:40 pm:Do you by any chance know of anyone or how I could learn exactly how to do the VPN connection?

I just remember Oscar666 or some forum name like that used it years ago, but no more active. Otherwise no sorry.
mickybadia

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:56 pm

If I am understanding this communication correctly the second method is typically called "port forwarding" and is not complicated.it mearly opens a port on both computers to allow them.to.communicate over the internet. It shouldn't require any special software or account such as Hamachi does (although I have used that as well). You have to go into your router settings and typically open an outer incomming port tied to your WAN and and direct it to an inner port tied to your local computer IP. There is gobs of instructions on the internet as to how to do this. Search how per both of your routers brands and models.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby mickybadia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:00 pm

Not complicated... and obviously preferred because no third-party service involved, and no worries about what they might do with your data.
mickybadia

Return to ATC-pie