Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

Heading in information window vs. heading in radar plot

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

Heading in information window vs. heading in radar plot

Postby daweed » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Split off from the topic EDDF-Triangle.

Hello,
Yesterday evening, during my session [ using ATC Pie Last version ], i encountered a strange trouble but was not able to understand from where it come :

ALRAL was flying Connie [ Lockhead 1049h ], spot on my radar was following the right heading, but the heading display in the Information window [ small square that you can see when you select a spot was wrong ] .... that the first time i see that "error".

Could some bring me some "lights" on this problem ?

Regards
Daweed
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split off from the topic "EDDF-Triangle".
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Re: Heading in information window vs. heading in radar plot

Postby mickybadia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Hello,

Quick note for the future: No serious debugging can take place following an anecdote described from memory, so if you observe something that looks wrong to you, please take at least a screenshot and point out what you think the problem is. The best thing yet is always to look for a scenario reproducing the error. For example here: does the same model lead to the same result every time? Your message does not even tell if more than the one named model is incriminated.

Now regardless, several things do not add up in your message:
  • your title mentions two heading displays, but your message only refers to one of them: what is the discrepancy observed?
  • "heading in radar plot" (title) and in "small square that you can see when you select a spot" (msg body): what are you talking about? there is no heading in numbers on the scopes.
  • "spot on my radar was following the right heading": what is the "right heading"? the one assigned?
mickybadia

Postby daweed » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:12 pm

Hello Micky, Sorry, next time will take screenshot ...

When clicking on a spot in radar screen, a small square is display (link to the spot), that what i am calling Information window.
in the "information window", you can see the call sign, the aircraft ICAO ident, alt when mode S is activate , speed and heading.

Heading assign to ALRAL and follow by him 204 , information display in the information window 194
Looking with the mouse pointer, spot was following 204 heading, if the problem occure again, next time i will take screen shot.

Regards

Daweed
FG Interface

daweed

Postby mickybadia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:05 pm

daweed wrote in Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:12 pm:When clicking on a spot in radar screen, a small square is display (link to the spot), that what i am calling Information window. in the "information window", you can see the call sign, the aircraft ICAO ident, alt when mode S is activate , speed and heading.

"...and heading"? Nope, there is no heading indication there, or on any real radar I have seen as it would be useless clutter on the screen. The graphical position history tail and course/vector lines give a better (visual) idea of how aircraft are tracking.

Please go to the quick reference (F1) and read section "radar tags" of the "Display conventions" (first tab) to learn exactly what data is shown in the text boxes.
If needed, a number heading value can be found in the radar contact details dock (Shift+Alt+D) and in the smaller selected contact toolbar (first value) for the selected contact when available. It is not a mode S reading, but computed by the radar.
mickybadia

Postby Johan G » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:35 pm

mickybadia wrote in Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:58 pm:your title mentions two heading displays, but your message only refers to one of them: what is the discrepancy observed?

The title is on the moderator (in this case me). :oops: I changed it when I moved the post from the topic EDDF-Triangle.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby mickybadia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Ooooh, I randomly read this thread again and have just thought about one heading display that does show on the radar sometimes, as the F1 Quick reference will tell you.
It follows the indication of the next waypoint if a route is correctly entered in a linked strip, or destination if the airport is recognised. What you read then is the magnetic heading from the current position to reach it on a geodesic path (great circle line).
Maybe that was it.
mickybadia

Postby daweed » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am

Hello,

Nevermind, i was making mistake when reading some information on radar.
This ticket is now solved and can be "closed".

Regards

Daweed
FG Interface

daweed

Return to ATC-pie