Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

[Support] More realistic airplanes paths on Solo Mode

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

[Support] More realistic airplanes paths on Solo Mode

Postby nocusuzo » Thu May 31, 2018 11:17 pm

On Solo Mode, by default, planes appear anywhere around the airport and go direct to it to land and when take off, they go in straight line to outside of the radar boundary.

On Solo mode I know that I can add entry and exit points on location settings options and the planes will randomly appear over the points I enter there or have a path to the exit point before heading off the radar boundary.

I would like to make the airplane paths more realistic, as I understand, they should follow a route when arriving and taking off.
For example, I would like the planes to follow procedures like the ones available here: https://www.airnav.com/airport/SFO.

If understand it correctly I have to create the file atcpie/resources/nav/route-presets, adding the origin and destination airports and all waypoints in between.
I can also edit those presets on the route strip details.

Is there any way to automate this?
A file I can download with the waypoints already set?
nocusuzo

Re: [Support] More realistic airplanes paths on Solo Mode

Postby mickybadia » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 am

Hello,
First big thanks for the time and (I hope) fun you spend on the program.

Second, mind not to get the concept of "route" wrong. It mainly refers to the sequence of en-route waypoints to follow, i.e. the planned path between the dep. exit point and the dest. entry point.
The original purpose of the "route-presets" file is to help you fill strip/FPL routes (usually before departure) by suggesting saved (frequent) routes between dep.-dest. airfield pairs. It is not related to solo spawning.

What you are asking for seems more like a simulation of SID and STAR following by AI traffic (published procedures between runways and entry/exit points). There is no way in ATC-pie to simulate this at this moment, and to be honest I do not think it is needed, because the whole point of the solo AD scenario is to vector aircraft on approach and departure. If you do not want to play with vectors (e.g. have aircraft reach final without help), you can leave APP/DEP roles unselected on session start. If you want to play with planes following routes and not expecting progressive vectors, why not try the CTR role?

What could easily be done to improve spawning while still conforming to the current scenario is generate APP arrivals with various headings instead of having them all fly directly to the field. Configured <EDIT> exit entry </EDIT> points could be appended a heading as well.
mickybadia

Re: [Support] More realistic airplanes paths on Solo Mode

Postby nocusuzo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 pm

mickybadia wrote in Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 am:What you are asking for seems more like a simulation of SID and STAR following by AI traffic[...]

Yes, that's exactly what I would like to do, given an arriving aircraft provide it with a STAR and IAP; and a departing aircraft a SID.
Currently the only way I tough I could achieve this is to create a list with all possible STAR and SID waypoints based on the charts available and on the Strip details, on the Route field, I would paste a SID/STAR I want the aircraft to follow.

For example, let's say the aircraft SAA9951 departed from KATA and is arriving at my airport, KSFO, and I want to give it a STAR, so I open it's Strip details and copy my STAR route and paste it in the Route field and then tell the aircraft to follow it's route.

I can't save the SID/STAR as route preset because it's only available between two airports.
Is there a way to always make a route available if given only the departing or destination airport?

-------------------

I would suggest adding the feature of providing a SID, STAR and IAP to an aircraft and having it follow it.
The way to provide this would be similar to how the route is provided, a text field where you could add the waypoints and then save it with a name. The user could then load the saved SID, STAR or IAP. Managing the available SID, STAR and IAP could be done on the Location set up settings.
I believe that the best way to assign the SID, STAR and IAP to an aircraft is trough the mouse or voice command since, as I have seen, this is how it's done in real life.

It would be a good idea to be able to also specify the altitude the aircraft should follow between the SID, STAR and IAP waypoints.
nocusuzo

Return to ATC-pie