Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

Application gets laggy after some time

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

Application gets laggy after some time

Postby Progman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:22 pm

After about an hour playing the application gets more and more laggy. Reopening the radar screen doesn't help, only a restart does. It doesn't look like the application use a lot of ram, the inputs just gets a little bit more laggy over the time. I'm running ATC-pie on Linux.
Progman

Re: Application gets laggy after some time

Postby mickybadia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 am

Hi,

Never noticed that myself. Anybody else confirms?

Progman wrote in Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:22 pm:Reopening the radar screen doesn't help, only a restart does.

What about "System > Change location..."?
mickybadia

Postby Progman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:57 am

mickybadia wrote in Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 am:What about "System > Change location..."?

Using "Change location..." (to the same airport) does reset the lagging as well.

When I'm starting a fresh new SOLO game with say 10 Aircrafts, I notice a periodic lagging which occurs every second. I notice it when I drag the radar screen very slowly. Actually, the interval depends on the Radar Sweep interval. When I increase the Radar Sweep interval to 5 seconds (I normally play with 1 second) the lagging occurs every 5 seconds. When all aircrafts are gone (I'm playing APP and I send them out of radar range where they get lost) the lagging will still occur in the configured radar sweep interval. Stopping and restarting the SOLO game doesn't reset/clear the lagging, even when starting with 0 aircrafts.

When I start a fresh new SOLO game with 0 aircrafts, I don't get any periodic lags, since there aren't any aircrafts and it's a fresh application start without any previous game sessions (and their aircrafts).

On a random side note: Changing the radar sweep interval mid game doesn't affect the radar sweep interval. Only restarting a SOLO simulation uses the new configured radar sweep interval.
Progman

Postby mickybadia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 am

Progman wrote in Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:57 am:On a random side note: Changing the radar sweep interval mid game doesn't affect the radar sweep interval.

Fixed, thanks for spotting. This used to be a general setting, which I later made local and it was no more reacting to the right settings dialog.

As for the main topic here, I cannot observe a similar problem, and nobody else has confirmed this yet. I will inspect the code more and see if I can propose something clever, like push a few versions for you to try and report about.
Meanwhile:
* is this still playable or critical?
* are we talking ONLY solo? please: (1) try creating the same number of aircraft in a teacher session and see if the same happens; (2) if able, say if anything similar ever noticed with MP.
mickybadia

Return to ATC-pie