Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

Tower view

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

Tower view

Postby Sarith » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 am

Hello, I can't figure out how i can set up the tower view in ATC-Pie. I wrote the wiki entry but didn't helped me
Sarith

Re: Tower view

Postby Sarith » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:55 am

and when I start the programm atc pie the say the is no background image even iff i set the scenery dir in the options
Sarith

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm

AFAIK, the background image on the radar is something different...

as far as the tower view goes, i had a play with ATC-PIE the other day... on my linux system that builds flightgear from the repositories, i found it easier to set up an external FG for PIE to talk to... i tried the "internal" method but PIE doesn't seem to want to run my scripts which set everything up for FG... with the external FG, i had to choose to use the UFO along with the command line options that PIE gives... aside from that, i had to make sure my .fgfsrc file was in order... once i had this "tower view FG" set up and running, i loaded PIE and selected the tower view so i could control it... then it was a simple matter to ALT-TAB between the actual view and back to PIE...

it worked pretty well in the "solo game" that i played several times... the only things i saw that were weird were some of the craft were above the tarmac instead of on the ground and that when they were moving, it would ""stutter""... when they were in the air at takeoff, they rose up and then tilted to an angle before finally tilting up for the climb... i understand that this is likely from PIE's calculations and instructions to the simulated craft but it does work and i found it fairly enjoyable... except for the stuttering when they were real close to the tower... definitely the view following the craft being tracked was nice...

the only other thing i see would be if, when you click a craft in the radar screen, it is also selected in the tray on the right if you have a strip for them... when you select the in the strip tray, they should also be selected in the radar screen... i would be watching them on the radar with them selected and go to tell them to go to a waypoint and it would fail for no call sign... so then i had to dig them up in the strip tray and send them the message again...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Sarith » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:58 pm

I didnt get all right and im a windof user. But shouldent be much differnt to set up the tower fiew in pie. Is there maybe a video to set the tower few
Sarith

Postby mickybadia » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi,
Thanks to anybody having trouble and persevering ;-)

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm:i tried the "internal" method but PIE doesn't seem to want to run my scripts which set everything up for FG... with the external FG,

All Pie does is run the provided command and append options so if you have a wrapper script you should pass those options along to FG.

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm:i had to choose to use the UFO along with the command line options that PIE gives...

Yes this is a design choice to avoid creating/downloading new aircraft. All FG versions have a default UFO. I should indeed add --aircraft=ufo to the options hint so that one does not have to figure this by oneself.

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm:then it was a simple matter to ALT-TAB between the actual view and back to PIE...

My advice: if you want a constant view of out of your window, put it on a different screen, or thumbnail it in a corner and use "always on top" window manager option.

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm:the only things i saw that were weird were some of the craft were above the tarmac instead of on the ground

A terrain elevation map would correct this.
See the FAQ: Simulated aircraft appear to dip underground or levitate over taxiways.

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm:when they were in the air at takeoff, they rose up and then tilted to an angle before finally tilting up for the climb... i understand that this is likely from PIE's calculations and instructions to the simulated craft

Is this still true for v1.3.0? I have improved this with a nose lift-off prior to take-off...

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm:the only other thing i see would be if, when you click a craft in the radar screen, it is also selected in the tray on the right if you have a strip for them...

You are not using it right. Radar contacts and strips have joint selection if you link them, like you should. See tutorial video 2.
mickybadia

Postby msmithjr » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 am

Tower view isn't working for me either... I'm new to FG so please someone provide a step by step if possible? I'm using Windows
msmithjr

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 pm

mickybadia wrote in Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm:when they were in the air at takeoff, they rose up and then tilted to an angle before finally tilting up for the climb... i understand that this is likely from PIE's calculations and instructions to the simulated craft

Is this still true for v1.3.0? I have improved this with a nose lift-off prior to take-off...

i don't know... i thought the dnc script was downloading the latest release but i see that what i currently have is 1.2.0...

the dnc script downloads the git repo to the (in my case) $FG/next/install/atc-pie directory, checks out the master branch and runs atc-pie from there... i will set the script to update my atc-pie more often and see how it goes...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 am

I was able to successfully enable tower view on a Linux machine last night, but still pulling hair out on the Windows 10 machine... is there something I'm missing in the setup box for internal process? I've installed Flightgear onto C:\ rather than burying it in ProgramFiles... is my syntax correct on the path?

msmithjr

Postby mickybadia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 am

Have you tried with a full path to the FlightGear executable?
Should FG_ROOT not end with "data" on Windows, instead of "bin"?
mickybadia

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 am

mickybadia wrote in Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 am:Have you tried with a full path to the FlightGear executable?
Should FG_ROOT not end with "data" on Windows, instead of "bin"?

Yes I have... my fgfs.exe file is located at C:\FlightGear\bin\fgfs.exe which was performed at installation. I deliberately placed the root directory there so it would not subject to User Account Control. There are no executables in the data directory, only a runfgfs.bat file which also doesn't work when inserted in to the "FlightGear command:" field.
msmithjr

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:01 am

Update... I have just tried entering the paths with quotations as is shown in many other shortcut file paths in Windows.

Upon clicking Tower View in the dropdown, I was immediately presented with this...

So perhaps I'm getting close to having this working? And why is the error message including the path for ATC-pie preceding the path for FG??
msmithjr

Postby mickybadia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:43 am

This means that FG is found and started properly. Like I said you had to place the full path to the exe (first entry), and not just "fgfs", which is a Linux comfort unless you add the FG bin dir to your Win system path too.
However, I would remove the quotes in the other two as they seem to escape the "C:\" in the options, which is bad.
Like I said too, I do not think "bin" should be part of the root dir, and I would try with "data" instead, as per this wiki page.
mickybadia

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:59 am

Success achieved... thank you!!
msmithjr

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pm

For anyone using Mac OS and interested... I was able to enable Tower View via internal process by using these entries:

msmithjr

Return to ATC-pie