Board index FlightGear Support Tools ATC-pie

NEW RELEASE! v1.2: Voice instruction recognition in solo

ATC-pie is a radar air traffic control simulation program for the FlightGear multi-player network.

NEW RELEASE! v1.2: Voice instruction recognition in solo

Postby mickybadia » Wed May 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Hello everybody,
New upgrade, new announcement, new feature: voice instruction recognition in solo sessions. Hurrah, this sounds really cool, and should indeed bring a lot of fun to some solo players... yet unfortunately a lot of frustration to others. Bear with me.

The feature relies on Sphinx thus requires a few extra dependencies to be enabled, but nothing breaks if they are not installed. See the updated README file for what to add to your system. All is free software and usable offline once installed of course. I hate to opt otherwise.
Once installed, ATC-pie should tell you "speech recognition modules found" at start-up, which confirms the feature will be available. If "not found", no point messing with the GUI options; fix your system/libraries first.

The fun part:
Once started with modules found, the general settings (now F11) solo tab offers new options including one for "voice instructions". Select it, use push-to-talk (Ctrl) in the game and speak without breaking, repeating, backtracking. Aircraft should comply if your instruction makes sense. A low beep (sound notif's on) means that the system did not recognise the instruction. Please read the quick reference and the updated wiki user guide.

The possibly frustrating facts:
  1. Installation for non-Linux users. For Linux, if nothing is funky about your computer or devices, everything you should need has been added to the README. Just go through the section and install the listed packets. For other platforms, I have no idea, and some testers have tried and failed but everything required is free and multi-platform software, so in theory everything is possible. Well-informed Windows/Mac users may know how best to transpose the dependencies and get them to work, and I am counting on them to write up a contribution to the README to help out their fellow platform users.
  2. Non-native American English accents. Strong accent variation is of course a potential problem. My (British) accent seems to get across quite fine, and several testers have managed to enjoy sessions while not being native, but their accents were mostly close enough. For the sake of inclusiveness, I have added an option to use a custom the acoustic model, so everybody can provide (train or adjust) one fitting their pronunciation. But, unless you have worked with speech recog before, you will not know what to do and may need some coffee before you try. No other solution, as far as I can tell.

I do hope you have fun with this. The feature to follow is of course pilot readback with speech synthesis. :-)

[EDIT: missing word]
Last edited by mickybadia on Thu May 18, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickybadia

Re: NEW RELEASE! v1.2: Voice instruction recognition in solo

Postby EMH333 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:40 am

Wow! This is going to be great to try out! Looking forward to it! Thank you so much for the hard work you put in to this program, it means a lot.
EMH333

Callsign: EMH333

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:09 am

I can't get voice modules to be "found"... I've installed the dependencies PyAudio and Pocketsphinx... I've also installed the "Win32 Extensions"... I've also installed WinPython (at the direction of a YouTuber that had success getting ATC-pie to launch)... still modules are not found but ATC-pie does launch.

what do you need to see to help figure out where I've gone wrong?
msmithjr

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:16 am

One area that makes zero sense to me is where all of these commands are supposed to be entered... when a website or forum post states code as something like:

Pip install umptysquat

Where the heck is that to be typed? At c prompt? At the python command interpreter prompt?
msmithjr

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:04 pm

msmithjr wrote in Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:16 am:Where the heck is that to be typed? At c prompt? At the python command interpreter prompt?

at the command prompt... C prompt in your case...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby msmithjr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Ok thanks - and in which directory should I be located when I type the commands?
msmithjr

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:55 pm

no clue but i would imagine that your home directory should be fine as the apps should be installed where they need reside for use... you might have to use admin mode to install, though... we (TINW) don't do winwhatever any more so that's about as far as we can assist at this point... "we" meaning "me" at this time ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby msmithjr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 pm

What do you mean you don't do winwhatever?
msmithjr

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:12 pm

"winwhatever" is my/our way of saying "Windows version foo"... we don't "do" it any more after some 30 years supporting it and dealing with the inherent problems it brings... sure, we made $$$ but the pain and stress were great and $$$ isn't everything ;) all of our systems have been switched to linux and will remain there for the foreseeable future...

"we" and "our" mean those of us on this side of the screen typing this message... not anything to do with those who bring us flightgear or any others providing their free support ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to ATC-pie